Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Another Two For the Books

18 August 2020...Wabasso/Vero...Yellow Bird must be working overtime, Mosquitoes and Noseeums not very plentiful.  Nursery day.  Loads of fish, most of them short. Found fish under the schools of White Bait, but nothing under the Glass Minnows. Add to that an injection of Pure Stupid Amatuer.  Found a pretty good stretch of clean water at Hole In The Wall.  Hooked into an oversized Red, put on way too much pressure and pulled the hook.  Jumped off two Snook.  Watched 3 Tarpon rolling, but could not get a hit.  Cruising Shark, cast Baby Vudu Shrimp about 5 feet in front of it.  Swam over, nose down and didn't pick it up.  Further South, favorite spot, school of big Mullet, spotted the Red too late.  Watched an over slot Snook swim within 2 feet of the boat, waved to her as she swam back into the Mangroves.   Managed a Whiting and a few short Snook and Snapper on the stretch.  Disaster stop at Johns Island Bridge, looking for Snook.  Bump, big jump, small Tarpon.  Missed the net boatside, pulled the hook on the next run.  Low lights of the day 16 short Snook, 1 Little Ugly, 1 Whiting, 1 very short Trout.  Was still good for an FWC Slam and another T-shirt.

20 August 2020...Wabasso/Vero…Water quality just a little bit better than terrible. Yellow Bird was up and flying early.  Wonder if they didn’t change over to an aerosol instead of pellets.  Haven’t seen any pellets in the water.  The hot bite was Yellow Flies, which got me 3 times.  Today was Monsta day.  Started with a 3 inch Snapper, then a 9 inch Sheepshead followed by a 9 inch Sand Dab.  Snook slowed down, only boated 9, biggest 16 inches. No Trout or Reds.  Lined a monster Snook in the afternoon.  Pine Island, Working a pattern that I do not like.  Normally I work the Mangroves at a 10 to 15 degree angle, not enough water in this stretch.  Long cast into a deep pocket, a huge Snook blew out. Hole In The Wall, earlier in the day.  Hooked a fun size Tarpon.  Boatside, net ready, high jump and pulled the hook.  Just glad that it did not land in the boat.  Sheepshead are showing up in the Mangroves.  Every time that I flip back to them, I get another Snapper.  Water too high and too dirty for sight fishing them under docks.  Pins and Needle fish are starting to be a real pain.  All players released for future encounters.  

Replies