Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Key Largo & Islamorada Seafood/Outdoor Restaurants

kmarsh724kmarsh724 Posts: 42 Deckhand
I'm not sure this is the forum to ask the questions but I'll give it a shot.  I'm taking the family down to Key Largo this weekend, what is your favorite on the water/outdoor restaurant for some great seafood?  I'm been down several times but interested to hear some responses.

Replies

• Steve19Steve19 Posts: 16 Deckhand
    On the water- Pilot House
    off water-Hobo’s

Enjoy!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,270 AG
    When we stayed at Sunset Cove we were right next to Bayside Grill and bar and that place was pretty lively every night.  probably a good place for sunsets. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 374 Deckhand
    Lazy days in Islamorada
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    edited August 23 #5

Personally I don't care a whole lot for the seafood down in the Keys since it’s mainly prepared for tourists with inflated prices;  I prefer whole snapper deep fried. (yellowtail, mangrove, hogfish, & just legal muttons). 
    The restaurants down there won't even cook fish you catch yourself unless its boneless,  
    I live primarily on a fish diet, but never fry fish at home, so its a treat it the
    restaurant knows how to deep fry a whole snapper properly.
     Places that serve tourists have to prepare fish boneless
    to avoid lawsuits from people that don't know how to eat fish that are cooked whole. 
    For me it’s no problem. I can place a filet that contain bones between two slices of bread and my senses will automatically move every bone towards my lips while I am chewing on the sandwich,  Of course I have been eating fresh caught fish from childhood, so its a learned skill.

When I go down to eat in the Keys I prefer atmosphere with low music volume.
    My favorite restaurants in the keys have more going for them then their food.
    Like fish feeding and sunsets on the bay.
    If you don't require A/C and want to see live wild fish while you are dining the restaurant next to Bass Pro is great for sunsets and fish watching.  It’s a tourist trap and could be buggy in the summer. The fish they serve is probably frozen, but if you can get a table by their little man made "lagoon” you can feed a fish or two and watch wild snapper, tarpon, grouper swim by your table. The outdoor restaurant next to Robbie’s has some decent food (lunch only) but it’s small and can be crowded. It also can be smelly from rotting seaweed nearby. But from their tables you can see and hear the tourists screaming while they feed the tarpon.  i usually order pasta, chicken or a Cuban sandwich in the Keys. If a restaurant has Yellow fin tuna or Cobia on their menu i might drop my guard and go for it. 

Giimoozaabi
  • zam0gzam0g winter springs flPosts: 32 Deckhand
    Lazy Days is good
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,375 Captain
    Alabama Jacks for conch fritters and cold red stripe. Morada Bay or Pierre’s for fancy. As said Lazy Days is good, Lorelei for good atmosphere. Really a lot to choose from but those are off the top of my head.