Skip to main content
Home Boating

VHF radio or antenna problem

GotseaGotsea Posts: 862 Officer
My VHF stop working, it turns on, performs al functions, scanning, change channels, squelch noise, but no receiving of signal, when I open all the squelch and put it on the weather I can hear a faint voice on the background, I am not sure if it is a radio or an antenna problem, would like to know before making a purchase of either, appreciate any opinion, Thanks    

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 735 Officer
    without a backup radio or antenna to sub-in, I would check all connections,,power and antenna connections. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,741 Captain
    Get a emergency backup antenna to check out your radio. Good to have even if you have to buy a new radio.
    Giimoozaabi
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,924 Moderator
    I had a similar problem a few years ago.  I Was going to buy a new VHS radio, West marine suggested try a new aerial first, that was it. It was a much less expensive fix. 
     Good luck with your fix.
    larrywitt
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 862 Officer
    thanks guys, I am going to look into an antenna 
  • EngguyEngguy Posts: 197 Deckhand
    The Best antenna I have found is the brand called "Digital". Very high quality. Don't go cheap.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Posts: 1,405 Officer
    edited August 2020 #7
    I would first suspect the antenna and coax cable. Sometimes the center wire inside the hollow fiberglass antenna shaft will come loose at the top and then collapse inside. Also, while cleaning the cable to radio connector, make sure the solder connection in the center of the pin is good.  Until you find the problem, do NOT try to transmit with the radio.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!