Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Last ARS trip of the season..70mi w of Hudson

Had a late AM into evening charter scheduled to end our ARS season. Was hoping to get a load of mangos as well after dark along with some RG and Gags. We started out with a bunch of live pins and pigs and frozen dines. Our first spot was a wreck in 130' and it had a nice ARS show so I anchored about 50' upcurent of it. We got a handful of decent ARS in the 24-26" range but they werent eating very well so decided to move. Moved onto a nice ledge system a couple miles away that was showing a few big schools. Figured I'd anchor up here and get the rest of our limit of ARS and start working on thr mangos. Caught the rest of our limit here and some nice ones up to 28". Got the chum started and the mangos started coming over there rail along with some very big yellowtail. Mangos were eating either frozen dines or live pinfish. Biggest mangs came on the live pins on a 3/8 Snappaslappa jig. Were getting a lot on conventional as well. The size of the mangs wasnt great but did get a handful over the 25" range but most were 14-18". We hammered out a few rg and couple scamp before the sun went down and finished off our limit of mangs soon after. Had a bonus BIG ole kingfish hit a jig on the fall. Took 20 mins to get in but somehow got him in on 25lb fluoro. Didn't weigh him but had to be over 40lbs. Couldn't even bend it into a 126qt box. Had to cut the tail. We almost filled 3 iceboxes so it was time to come in. Guests were happy and so was I. Finished our ARS season with a bang! I will have another report with pics from all my charters this ARS season in a couple days. Till next time, tight lines!! 
https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,246 Moderator
    Nice mess of snaps, however, most impressive is that King on 25# fuoro. 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,465 Officer
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,394 Captain
    Fantastic catch with great pictures. Thanks for sharing. 

" I. Finished our ARS season with a bang! I will have another report with pics from all my charters this ARS season in a couple days. "

Really anxious to see it! 
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Interesting you got a king on a jig on the way down.  So, were you using jigs for red snapper?  Doesn't sound like a good technique for kings, or is it?  On the other hand, you never know what to expect.  One time I had a small Drone spoon hanging over the side as I was about to deploy it, and a king jumped out of the water and nailed it.  As I said, you never know what to expect.  
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Nice job Chris!  That king is mighty impressive, on flouro, any time of the year...let alone in the dead heat of summer. 
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 677 Officer
    Nitzey said:
    Interesting you got a king on a jig on the way down.  So, were you using jigs for red snapper?  Doesn't sound like a good technique for kings, or is it?  On the other hand, you never know what to expect.  One time I had a small Drone spoon hanging over the side as I was about to deploy it, and a king jumped out of the water and nailed it.  As I said, you never know what to expect.  
    We were going for Mangos when the king hit a half sardine on the way down.