Home General Freshwater Fishing

Where does a rookie start?!

WarbirdsWarbirds OrlandoPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hello all- I have to apologize up front as I need to learn just about everything!

I tried searching the forums but couldn’t really find anything, though Im sure Im not the first new guy.

I moved to Orlando about 1.5yrs ago, but this is actually my 3rd time living in Florida. 

I would like to learn to be a successful fisherman, nothing crazy- just want to take my kids fishing a few hours a week on the lakes around Orlando, eventually take them fishing more towards the gulf for larger fish (I have family in Naples & Pensacola) and maybe someday a boat...

I have been into Bass Pro and bought a few rods and some basic gear. 
We have actually had a little success in lakes around Orlando with some smaller largemouth bass just fishing off the a public dock or side off a lake. 

I am really enjoying it, so naturally I’d like to get better!

I really don’t know the next steps in how to improve. 

Any suggestions how to catch more fish, or larger fish would he great. 

Is chartering a boat an option? I would feel like a real idiot showing up to a chartered boat not knowing what I’m doing.

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,079 Admiral
    Any time you hire a charter they'll help you learn something.

That's how they make their liviñg,
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Go to Turkey Lake Park (Bill Frederick Park).  They have boats and you can rent them for the day.  They also have guided service.  If you want to catch big bass get a portable livewell (5 gallon bucket w aerator) and buy some shiners from a tackle store like Bitters Bait on 17-92.  Fish them under a float with a 4/0 mutu light circle hook.  You will catch a lot more fish and larger ones as well.  Your kids will enjoy that for sure.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,634 Captain
    Hire a guide is one way to improve fast but be sure to ask if he's a teaching guide or a catching guide.  Joining a bass club is another good way to learn.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,602 Moderator
    As stated , a guide will help you get started in the right direction . A little discussion prior to the trip will let him know your needs. YouTube has a ton of stuff from beginner to advanced  also..
    Anything else please ask here , we'll do our best to help. BTW , welcome aboard !!
    "You'll get your weather"
  • WarbirdsWarbirds OrlandoPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Go to Turkey Lake Park (Bill Frederick Park).  They have boats and you can rent them for the day.  They also have guided service.  If you want to catch big bass get a portable livewell (5 gallon bucket w aerator) and buy some shiners from a tackle store like Bitters Bait on 17-92.  Fish them under a float with a 4/0 mutu light circle hook.  You will catch a lot more fish and larger ones as well.  Your kids will enjoy that for sure.

Thanks for all the tips guys- 

This one is excellent as this park is about 15 minutes from my house. 
    I will definitely get out there soon & at some point in the next couple weeks hire a guide as well.

Cheers!
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 249 Deckhand
    My advise is to fish early morning or late evening/sunset for largemouth.

I dont live in Orlando so cant give you specifics. Try dark colored soft plastics with small black bullet weight 1/16-1/8 oz or unweighted. I like unweighted especially casting near shore in heavy vegetation.

A few tips for any fishing:
    - Never fish your lure or bait with a piece of vegetation on it no matter how small
    - Learn to properly rig the soft plastic correctly so they are straight, if there is a slight bend it wont get as many strikes

Hope this helps
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,596 Captain
    The local bait/tackle shops are good spots for info as well.  I know they really helped me when I was starting.