Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Are the public ramps in Marathon open?

Coming down for 5 weeks on August 15th and just heard from an FWC friend that the public ramps from Marathon to Key Largo are closed until August 8th and will probably be extended beyond that 
In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

Replies

• suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 181 Deckhand
    edited July 29 #2
    According to this:
    https://keysweekly.com/42/marathon-council-closes-2-out-of-3-boat-ramps-for-mini-season/?amp
    33rd Street is the only open one, and the closure is only thru mini season (for now). I'll be there Saturday, weather permitting, and will find out for sure.
    Kinda crappy to close most of the ramps last minute. You know, so 3x the people can now "socially distance" at the same ramp. Our collective memories of how out-of-towners are treated will hang on long after the coronavirus thing is over.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,920 Captain
    Sounds like another "I'm from the government and I'm here to help "
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    According to this:
    https://keysweekly.com/42/marathon-council-closes-2-out-of-3-boat-ramps-for-mini-season/?amp
    33rd Street is the only open one, and the closure is only thru mini season (for now). I'll be there Saturday, weather permitting, and will find out for sure.
    Kinda crappy to close most of the ramps last minute. You know, so 3x the people can now "socially distance" at the same ramp. Our collective memories of how out-of-towners are treated will hang on long after the coronavirus thing is over.
    Remember that 33rd St is only open to residents of Marathon only. It also allows people renting that can show proof to use that launch. 
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,686 AG
    I'll be there August 8th.  with my rental agreement i guess.   I was also told there's no way i can check in early they are spending extra time cleaning the place, which is great IMO.   i'll spend the afternoon catching bait for the week waiting to check in 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • dihrddihrd Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Good luck soda. Hopefully I see a great report from you. 
    dihrd said:
    thanks i'll definitely post a report.   hopefully it's great!   
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 689 Officer
    dihrd said:
    thanks i'll definitely post a report.   hopefully it's great!   
    Really hope things turned around for you, weather wise and with plenty of hungry fish after this storm 
    Cheers 
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    I'll be there August 8th.  with my rental agreement i guess.   I was also told there's no way i can check in early they are spending extra time cleaning the place, which is great IMO.   i'll spend the afternoon catching bait for the week waiting to check in 
    I forgot to mention, unless they just changed this again, if you are staying in Key Colony Beach you will not be allowed to use 33rd St.    Crazy.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 181 Deckhand
    Dropped at 33rd without issue. Nobody asked me any questions and didn't have to prove anything to anyone, but of course YMMV. Looked like the ramp on Aviation was open too.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,842 Captain
    Here's the best info around for ramp status around the state....
    https://atoll.floridamarine.org/dle_gis/javascript/boat_ramp_status/

It's the one I use.... and it will cycle through three or four pages before getting to the info you need....any where in the state...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    mikeloew said:
    I forgot to mention, unless they just changed this again, if you are staying in Key Colony Beach you will not be allowed to use 33rd St.    Crazy.
    crapola.   well we'll be down there Saturday regardless and we'll find someplace to launch.   Maybe Aviation blvd.   
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,920 Captain
    mikeloew said:
    crapola.   well we'll be down there Saturday regardless and we'll find someplace to launch.   Maybe Aviation blvd.   
    I that's one of the ramps that were closed. supposedly closed during the mini, but could be extended. let us know if it's open when you get there, as I'll be trying to launch on the 14th 
    Klinger said:
    mikeloew said:
    I that's one of the ramps that were closed. supposedly closed during the mini, but could be extended. let us know if it's open when you get there, as I'll be trying to launch on the 14th 
    alright.  I guess the first one i'll go by is MM54, then aviation and then 33rd st.  If none of them are open, i will go to a marina. 
  • no slackno slack Posts: 373 Deckhand
    If staying in Key Colony you may want to check out , I think it's called bone fish hotel.  He has a private ramp.  Charges $20.00 Per launch but zero crowd.
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    You should be fine at 33rd. The restriction was for the week of mini I believe. You shouldn't have a problem bud. If youre lucky they might have 54mm open on the weekends.