Home General Hunting

When does the 2019-2020 Deer Harvest Report come out?

Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,447 Captain
Now that all harvested deer are being reported ( ;)>:) ), we should have some hard numbers to look at, right? No more estimates based on voluntary surveys. 

So when do we get to see it? I’m anxious to compare the 19-20 numbers with the estimates of previous years. 

Replies

• james 14james 14 Posts: 3,084 Moderator
    I asked Cory last year but can't seem to find his reply in my email or messenger. I seem to remember him saying we they would post the data by DMU but not necessarily by WMA since it wasn't required they enter the WMA. That could've easily changed, however.
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 294 Deckhand
    Anyone remember when Chuck emphatically stated no DMU data would be shared for cyber scouting purposes

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Sad thing is I know of several deer harvested by others that went unreported...  If they weren't relatives I would have reported them to FWC...  I hope they don't report based on DMU's...  The two I hunt in have plenty of deer and I don't need any more hunters knowing how many are there.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 250 Deckhand
    Folks have been wanting "science" for years and now that we are getting the numbers, it might hurt a few hunting areas.

Some folks will also report false info to try and protect their hunt areas, and it is understandable.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,447 Captain
    Well haven’t previous years’ reports broke the info down by county? Seems like DMU would be a lot more generic. 

And isn’t the point of DMUs to be able to manage the herds separately according to the health of each? Why would we be OK with the notion that DMU data that the FWC uses to make its hunting regulations will be kept secret from the public because someone’s afraid of their DMU getting more hunters? That seems extreme to me. Reporting deer harvest by DMU will pinpoint no one’s honey hole. And if it bothers you that it will become known that your DMU has a higher hunter success, just suck it up. Do you really think that Florida hunters who have some idea what they’re doing don’t know what regions have more deer?

I think the only region people might have the wrong idea about is the NE. I have no problem saying that the NE has way more deer than what previous years’ harvest estimates reflects. I used to keep 1500 acres in Baker County. Huge bucks and lots of does. No problem keeping the freezers full. And I know the harvest reports were way underestimated because if they were accurate, my 1500 acres would have been responsible for a large percentage of the overall county harvest. We were no more successful than the surrounding clubs.

So ya’ll all run the NE. Secret is out. I don’t hunt there anymore. Bunch of south Florida Yankees won’t be my problem.   :D

In truth, people who have to travel are little threat to a deer herd. Its the local 5-10 poachers who hunt all week day or night when you aren’t there to that’s harvesting the majority of deer. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,148 Captain
    The report has been cancelled due to Covid. 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 581 Officer
    I was able to find reports for the individual WMA's I hunt. I did a search on FWC site. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,365 Officer
    Regarding electronic harvest reporting - not deer but another species. I read that Bama was evaluating the reporting of spring turkey, and observed hunters weren’t reporting their harvest. Bama said the low harvest reports might be indicative of fewer turkeys, so they might need to reduce the bag limit. Very clever response, and will be interesting going forward.
    Want to ruin a county or a dmu start posting everything...see it go downhill
    OGBOHICA said:
    You can only post up to 5  :wink:
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,184 Captain
    OGBOHICA said:
    Y’all sound like duck hunters 15 yrs ago. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Or  good snook spot
    OGBOHICA said:
    It’s called Floridian syndrome. Diarrhea of the mouth leads to constipation of the harvest. 
    Just remember, they need this data to make sound scientific decisions... thats all
    Ah yes, but “how science and facts are so wasted on some”.
    Did someone say Bear hunt?
    swampdog said:
    Regarding electronic harvest reporting - not deer but another species. I read that Bama was evaluating the reporting of spring turkey, and observed hunters weren’t reporting their harvest. Bama said the low harvest reports might be indicative of fewer turkeys, so they might need to reduce the bag limit. Very clever response, and will be interesting going forward.
    My primary problem with that is that lowering the bag limit won’t punish the people who already aren’t reporting. The people who aren’t reporting would be violating the bag limit to begin with, otherwise there’s no reason not to report. Therefore lowering the bag limit only punishes the honest reporters and rewards the non-reporters by putting even more game in their pockets that the honest hunters won’t have access to. 
    swampdog said:
    My primary problem with that is that lowering the bag limit won’t punish the people who already aren’t reporting. The people who aren’t reporting would be violating the bag limit to begin with, otherwise there’s no reason not to report. Therefore lowering the bag limit only punishes the honest reporters and rewards the non-reporters by putting even more game in their pockets that the honest hunters won’t have access to. 
    How could you violate the previous limits?
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 501 Officer
    edited July 30 #21
    swampdog said:
    I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with you on something lol
    The goal of this program has always been to lower the harvesting of deer in FLorida. no matter what the data
    H20dad said:
    swampdog said:
    How could you violate the previous limits?
    I don’t understand your question. 

Hunters who don’t report can take as much as they want so long as they get away with not reporting. Therefore lowing the limit to punish non-reporting would have no effect on the non-reporters because they aren’t obeying the limit to begin with. 
    OGBOHICA said:
    Did someone say Bear hunt?
    Thank Rick Scott for that one.
    I get you BF. I half way think Bama’s commish was saying that “tongue n cheek”. I think law abiding hunters do things right and those that don’t never will. One huge problem is, most all of us know someone that breaks the laws, we just choose to let it go on, because we like them or may be related to them. Sad, but most think game laws are not crimes against a brother, they’re crimes against the “kingdom”. I along w most on here want our share of the bag, we just don’t talk about those getting more than the allotment. Reducing the bag limit seems to be a positive for all of us. It might even change a few hearts that never had a use for them (limits) because the old limits seemed to say, Florida has an unlimited supply of deer so “I’m taking a break from work and hunting everyday and giving away what I can’t use.”  Interesting thoughts from everyone.
    swampdog said:
    ^This was my complaint to Corey Morea about 10 times last year. They claim they want more opportunities for (lazy) hunters who refuse to put boots on the ground and punish the good hunter who does his homework. They also go against their own data on the deer counts and say, "you can only shoot 2 does Mr hunter". We don't care if you drew 5 doe tags for your Sp Op hunts. 
    For me, its one more year of putting up with this BS and then I join the countless others who have gone north.

edited August 1 #27
    It's really not so simple as to narrow it down to "lazy hunters who refuse to put boots on the ground". I'm all for rewarding hard work and going the extra mile but this comment just breeds an "us against them" mentality where "us" and "them" should be on the same team, and need each other to be in the woods, buying equipment and licenses.
    "Them" have not been on our side for a very long time! Like everything else these days it has been politicized. Example, I don't care what the world renowned bear professionals say, I am running for Senate and there will be no bear hunt.
    Your two responses simply don't match up. First of all, what defines a "lazy hunter"? Next, how are they "not on our side"?
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,526 Captain
    edited August 3 #30
    I just glossed over this quickly this morning and all I can say is that I'm glad you all unanimously agree with me that lawful hunters will comply with reporting requirements, while the less lawful will likely not. This, in turn, furnishes incomplete data which could render  additional burdens, and smaller bag limits (something I too believe is a ultimate goal of FWC) on the lawful hunters.

"What's that? Only 5 deer taken by 50 hunters on two 3 day hunts? I guess we need to increase antler requirements, shut down doe harvests, and allow one 2 day hunt, for 15 hunters!" Add in the general public distaste for hunting and the ramifications for supporting hunting when you're in the political arena, you get a recipe for reductions. That's how it works. You'll simply continue getting less and less as time goes on, until you sell your gear and quit. Watch and see. The history is there to illustrate it if you look with a open mind. If you have been around long enough, you won't need to look past your own first hand experience.

And, yes, I get it, more people wanting more of the resource, but if further reductions through additional red tape are the ultimate goals, let it be plainly known, and stop telling me there is a concern over dwindling license sales, and fewer youngsters taking up hunting in the 21st century.  Don't try blowing hot exhaust gasses up everyone's donkey and tell them it's a lavender incense stick. 

Oh, and, forget the science based decision making arguments. Just more BS. Just ask the bear hunters, fox hunters, the Big Cypress hunters/recreational guys, and the deer dog hunters. Ninety % (or more) of hunting decisions in FL are politically based on the feel good winds of moment.

Let us not forget RRR - Restrict, Reduce, and Remove... That's what RRR really stands for.

What would Chuck say