Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

First ledge trip

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli charlotte ncPosts: 34 Deckhand
I finally found good enough conditions to venture out of Vilano to the ledge. To my surprise there were about ten boats out there. Almost all were bottom fishing. We trolled a while then worked our way back in. No bites that day, I guess I should have hit the bottom. The boats out there were spread out but basically in the same area. How do you fish out there?

Replies

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli charlotte ncPosts: 34 Deckhand
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 52 Deckhand
    We usually drift with about 12-16oz of weight. Chicken rigs with squid for triggers and bees. Also a live or big cut bait for aj’s and grouper.

im guessing you were around 170-200ft?
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 870 Officer
    A lot depends on the current that day. Been on the ledge with hardly no current and bottom fish easily. Other days the gulf stream might be closer in with a screaming current. If current is too bad, I will just run inshore a little until the current is fishable. Trolling for mahi is best at the end of April and May. Trolling for wahoo is usually in the winter time and inside the ledge.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    how deep were you?  sure you were 'on the ledge?  like 50 -55 miles out of St A, i believe... that is deep and you will have a super hard time holding bottom unless you have allot of weight.. tide will tell ya but 16oz or more for sure.. stay inside 35 - 40 miles, find some bottom structure and drift it with 10 -12 oz weights and chicken rigs and you should be pulling on all kinds of stuff.. oh and have a pitch rod ready at all times for straggler Mahi and cobs that swim by ya..
    I was about 45-50 mi out. Around 140 deep did not anchor up. Next time I’ll try. Saw no birds or weed lines that day it just seems like everyone was bottom fishing except for me 
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 52 Deckhand
    There is good bottom in 140ft.

Don’t think you quite made it to the ledge. From what I understand the ledge is where it goes from about 170-200 ft very quick. And continues to drop after that. 
    This time of year we don’t start trolling until we find a good weed line.  Sometimes 200ft other times 700ft.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Summertime is not the best time for trolling the ledge.  The fish are spread out that you might catch a wahoo or dolphin 20-30 miles out of Jax this time of the year.  Also no definite fish migration and clear temperature breaks. That's why most start trolling for wahoo late December- February.  March to May for dolphin.  Marlin usually tag along during the early dolphin run.
    Thanks for all the replies 
  • aventers1973aventers1973 Posts: 28 Deckhand
    edited July 31 #10
    When we troll, we always watch the bottom machine and mark at least 10 spots to visit after trolling. Then, we return to see which ones produce and use the tolling motor to anchor up. The TM lets you move 5-10 ft at a time to work the area to the fullest. As others mention, the current can be strong so bring some heavy weight. You can limit out on Trigs and Bees pretty fast with chicken rigs and squid out there.