Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Early September Fishing

Alright ya'll after my original plans were cancelled due to COVID back in early May, I have rescheduled a trip to Marathon for the week after Labor Day assuming it wont be cancelled again. I have read many conflicting reports on the fishing at this time. Some say it is the best time because the busy season is over, and a lot less traffic, others say it's one of the worst. We will have a 24' Glasstream for 3 days. I would like to go out to the Marathon Hump one day if the weather is right but I know that is not guaranteed. What can I expect around this time of the year, (inshore and offshore) and what do I need to do to have success? 

Replies

• WARichWARich Posts: 24 Deckhand
    We have done a guys trip to Marathon the week after Labor Day since 2013. 2019 was the only year where we didn’t catch any dolphin and got blown out. Oh, and 2017 but that was Irma’s fault. But typically we do catch phins and blackfins every day offshore. Some years there are schoolies and some not as many but it seems like there are some bigger dolphin that come thru that time of year. I recommend running a skirted ballyhoo in the prop wash about 25’-30’ back and have some live bait (pinfish, pilchard, whoos) ready to pitch. Just be flexible and let the weather dictate what you fish for. 
  • Zany08Zany08 VAPosts: 12 Deckhand
    WARich said:
    We have done a guys trip to Marathon the week after Labor Day since 2013. 2019 was the only year where we didn’t catch any dolphin and got blown out. Oh, and 2017 but that was Irma’s fault. But typically we do catch phins and blackfins every day offshore. Some years there are schoolies and some not as many but it seems like there are some bigger dolphin that come thru that time of year. I recommend running a skirted ballyhoo in the prop wash about 25’-30’ back and have some live bait (pinfish, pilchard, whoos) ready to pitch. Just be flexible and let the weather dictate what you fish for. 
    Thanks! Are you guys usually pitching to floating debris/ grass lines on your way out?
    We will usually run out until we find signs of life...  grass, birds, bucket, etc. Then troll past it a few times to see if anyone is home. If we get a phin to the boat and the school follows then we pitch to the school with hoo chunks. But if they dont follow then we go back and troll that same spot again and try to get another. In my experience, it seems like the smaller schoolies follow in but the 25”-30” fish dont follow and stay around the structure. But you just never know. We have stopped at a floating bucket and seen phins and just pitched to them. 
  • piner_wahoo1piner_wahoo1 keysPosts: 278 Deckhand
    good dolphin then
  • fbfisherman39fbfisherman39 NCPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    How hard is it to find some live bait that time of year? 
    How hard is it to find some live bait that time of year? 
    We have always had ballyhoo show up in our chum slick on the patch reefs. And for pinfish you can trap or usually catch off your dock. Bait shops usually sell small pinfish for $1 each. Another great tip is to bring A couple dozen live shrimp when going offshore. I had a school of phins get lock jaw and wouldn’t eat. Then i put a small live shrimp on a giant 6/0 j hook and they couldn’t resist it.