Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Netting Pilchards / Pinfish around Cudjoe

I’m coming down in August for two weeks.  Does anyone have some general areas to suggest trying for chumming and netting pin fish and pilchards?  I’ve caught a few off the north side of Venture Key in the past, but nothing impressive.  

Replies

• UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Theres some grassy areas just out of the boating channel of venture out. Ive done Ok in the past for pinfish there. Had my trap robbed there though- so if you're gonna leave a trap out, make sure you put a sub surface marker on.
  • pbrthe2pbrthe2 Posts: 10 Deckhand
    Bump to the top for some compassion! I'm taking my son to the Keys for the first time.   Any hints at where to go would be greatly appreciated!  I don't mind a ride to find some.  
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 181 Deckhand
    From what I've heard, white bait gets scarce down there in the summer. Someone suggested using a sabiki by channel markers on the atlantic side. Maybe a local will share more. Otherwise be the 1st guy to the flat at sun up, look for birds, and cross your fingers?
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 286 Deckhand
    Go to Cudjoe Sales and get a pinfish trap.  Find a sandy area surrounded by grass and put baited trap there.  Set it first thing in the am and get it at the end of the day.  They feed better during the day. 
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 280 Deckhand
    You and your son should be able to catch pinfish and small grunts with small hooks or sabikis with squid or bits of Gulp on most any grass flat in 3-6 ft. of water. Put out some chum to really get them going. Throw the net if you see them bunched up in the chum.
    Pilchards can be tough, look for pelicans early in day on flats close to land.