Home General Hunting

BOHICA SWMD at its finest

OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 229 Deckhand
Seems you boys who like to hunt the STA's are getting it good.. no notice no meetings no involvement by our Mother Ducker ya they're on our side right. One n done I hear.

Replies

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,166 Captain
    Working on that issue....actually there is a way using the Phase II for open Standby Number Permit for multiple opportunities, but the original Standby Draw we have seen has a limit of One...Not the way we discussed the plan originally...
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 229 Deckhand
    Our good Allie Jerry Should clear it ll up...prob just a little mis understanding. But always remember all those meetings they didnt care or listen and did whatever they wanted to do. BOHICA
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Unfortunately it seems like they already have their minds made up and decisions processed prior to any public meetings where us average people can give "input"!  
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 270 Deckhand
    Just go riot and loot the commissioner and SWMD neighborhoods.  I mean protest.  That seems to get things done...
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,138 Officer
    duck lives matter .
    If you can't hear it your not listening.
    Unfortunately this proves a point that many have said yrs ago. The meetings are a formality probably a legality as well a necessary evil these agencies have to perform as their civil duties. BUT, the decisions are made well before any meeting takes place. Unfortunately it makes it very hard for guys like Newton who devote so much time at these meetings and only get a slap in the face. SFWMD has been lying to us for yrs and have admitted it more ways than not. Call for the resignations of these people, they are not our friends otherwise we wouldn't be in these positions. I drive SR 27 more than most and they work a 4 day week on the STA's hunting NEVER is in the way of work! The only one's that have a problem with hunters being out there hunting are the anti hunters of SFWMD. The glades are next just wait n see.
    I've tried to say that on here before.  The trolls came out immediately.  The one thing I learned from BLM is how to actually get things done.  They were able to open the door to defund police departments in a lot of cities.  If it's important to you then go take care of it.  Stop following the rules because the rules were created to prevent you from getting anything done.
    Occasionally we get a win but that usually occurs before any meeting take place. These meetings are a bunch of BS

Support Org's like FSCA or your local groups because those are the ones who accomplish things.

Just like Fl's bear Hunt program ya meetings make a difference right!
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    just go to holeyland or rotenburger to duck hunt there completely flooded while other wmas barely have a inch of water        great deer managment.  it must rain 24/7 at these 2 wmas        been telling people for years fwc and sfwmd dont give a spit about hunters .
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 406 Deckhand
    edited July 22 #11
    Here it is in a nut shell.  Users will be able to apply for three morning walk in opportunities for the entire season.  

https://myfwc.com/hunting/waterfowl/standby-hunts/

https://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry/waterfowl-standby-opportunities/
    I'm glad I don't hunt down there and the areas I duck hunt aren't restricted!  

I would be going nuts....
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 211 Deckhand
    Gov agencies operate by "regulating" and it is in their blood.  Regulate is a fancy word for restrict or control.
    This issue is with the FWC, not the SFWMD.  The program was discussed over a lot of time and finally when the FWC gave it to the Vendor who handles the drawings they simply extended the current STA Regular Hunt Draw Rules.Which limits hunters to one hunt per Stage (three Stages per season)..Obviously easiest way to do the  Standby Number Draw...Just did not run that by us (stakeholders) before it was put in the new program....and that is what we will be complaining about....Normally, we (UW-F and others) get a look at a change or new program before it gets written in stone (for this year at least) at the Vendor. While I understand that both of the FWC staff people involved are relatively new to the jobs.....we have to expect some "on job training" here so there will be proper input in the future....And...we will be looking at what can be done to "fix" this program...but, probably would be next year as the brochures are out.  Anyone following the 20 year old STA Saga knows that the hunting on the STAs is always tenuous as they are under a Court Order to clean the EAA water...anything that interferes with that work is not allowed.....there is no right to public access or hunting.  But, the SFWMD and FWC have been very cooperative over two decades as the hunt program grew from about 500 hunting opportunities to over 15,000 opportunities per season today.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,993 Captain
    Newton, this has always been an fwc issue and always will be. They use the sfwmd as an excuse. 

Something bad is going to happen this year, I can feel it. 
    H20dad said:
    Newton, this has always been an fwc issue and always will be. They use the sfwmd as an excuse. 

Yea, something bad.... your not going to make as much money guiding$$$!!
    guys take people hunting on wmas and stas and charge money     despicable.    ;)    
    godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

Never asked for money for my guiding. It would be silly to, I make more money sleeping, more money than you ever made working......

That being said this makes the stas much more limited entry and makes guiding more valuable. The fwc might just force me to charge now. But only to out of state hunters. Can’t trust people from Florida to keep their mouths shut. 
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,929 Captain
    H20dad said:
    godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

Never asked for money for my guiding. It would be silly to, I make more money sleeping, more money than you ever made working......

That being said this makes the stas much more limited entry and makes guiding more valuable. The fwc might just force me to charge now. But only to out of state hunters. Can’t trust people from Florida to keep their mouths shut. 
    H20dad said:
    I don’t guide. Don’t listen to the fake news people. 

Read more: https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/3306470#Comment_3306470
    Too funny.... the last couple of years he was all over another site trying to solicit hunts.... FWC is changing the process due to the shenanigans / illegal activity that goes on during the morning hours at gates.   It is those who say they don't guide BUT HAVE to get their clients thru the gates to kill their specific species of duck to make the money!!!  BTW it is illegal to guide inside the gates of an STA!!! 

Due to the afternoon hunts staying the same, you will now have all the shenanigans/ illegal activity, with increased participation including the guides,  taking place under the light of day.  Should make for an interesting topic for the upcoming months.
    If they defund the police down there you won’t have to worry about the rules.  Just hunt it at that point.  The FWC officers will be overloaded.
    Reel Teal said:
    H20dad said:
    godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

H20dad said:
    I don’t guide. Don’t listen to the fake news people. 

Read more: https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/3306470#Comment_3306470
    Well, I’ve guided a few kids to their first ducks, and a game warden and his cousin to some other ducks, and lots of first time hunters in my neighborhood and with whom I work to their first ducks.  

And swapping hunts with out of state duck hunters sure feels like guiding when they are used to shooting ducks over flooded corn and rice. They want to sky blast and can’t hit birds at 10 yards when I call them in to their faces.  I make my own special calls....

Why would I ever charge money for that? Lol. 
    i take outa state hunters just about every weekend during spring turkey     most are guys who let me hunt there property for deer or turkey but some do insist i take some cash but not for guiding but for allowing them to hang out with such a great guy.   
    meateater said:
    i take outa state hunters just about every weekend during spring turkey     most are guys who let me hunt there property for deer or turkey but some do insist i take some cash but not for guiding but for allowing them to hang out with such a great guy.   
    You are too much of a spot namer for me to believe one word of that....
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,765 Captain
    180,000 acre sheet flow restoration project would have been grand.

Now you are funneled in to STA.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    Bring back hydrilla bring back good hunting and fishing.
    We (UW-F) were able to make a tour of the STAs this week with the FWC and SFWMD managers.  The bad news is the cattails continue to expand making finding enough open areas to support all the permits difficult.  The good news is we may have found enough new places in the STA 1 W Extension to allow a separate hunt day...to replace the day we were losing as the STA 1 W B section is closed for construction....Also, some spots on the north end of the Extension may be used to help keep the number of permits the same for the A section hunts...(the A section has lost a lot of open water).  STA 2 is another one with construction and limited access this season.  Again, we were looking for access routes and new open areas to make up for the lost spaces so the number of permits could be maintained.  We were able to find spots, but there is a place where the hunters would cross a "Construction haul road"...and that will need to be worked out....STA 3/4 is almost a cattail monoculture and it will be a more difficult hunt getting to any open water in most places.  We expect the program to be the same as last season....STA 5 has no construction and should be the same as last season.  Looking at FEB 1, the 100 permits will remain as before.....some good habitat was there, but scattered across a large space...I suggest hunters make the scout days...
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    edited July 26 #28
    Is there anywhere I can plant some millet next month around there?

I encourage my fellow sportsmen to help me rebuild their public duck hunting in South FL.
    edited July 26 #29
    N. Cook said:
    We (UW-F) were able to make a tour of the STAs this week with the FWC and SFWMD managers.  The bad news is the cattails continue to expand making finding enough open areas to support all the permits difficult.  The good news is we may have found enough new places in the STA 1 W Extension to allow a separate hunt day...to replace the day we were losing as the STA 1 W B section is closed for construction....Also, some spots on the north end of the Extension may be used to help keep the number of permits the same for the A section hunts...(the A section has lost a lot of open water).  STA 2 is another one with construction and limited access this season.  Again, we were looking for access routes and new open areas to make up for the lost spaces so the number of permits could be maintained.  We were able to find spots, but there is a place where the hunters would cross a "Construction haul road"...and that will need to be worked out....STA 3/4 is almost a cattail monoculture and it will be a more difficult hunt getting to any open water in most places.  We expect the program to be the same as last season....STA 5 has no construction and should be the same as last season.  Looking at FEB 1, the 100 permits will remain as before.....some good habitat was there, but scattered across a large space...I suggest hunters make the scout days...
    Where is the sta 2 construction?  I have seen information  on sta 1 but nothing until this list on sta 2.
    How many days a week does construction take place on the sta's?
    OGBOHICA said:
    How many days a week does construction take place on the sta's?
    They shutdown the feb a month early to build a tiny little boat ramp. Any excuse they can use. I’m surprised that somebody hasn’t gotten a hangnail and caused a 6 month stoppage of water flow.