Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

fish in Tavernier or Snake Creek

As previously mentioned, the weather In Islamorada is less than optimal.  I have 2 boys that want to fish regardless, so the question is what kind of luck would I have in Tavernier or Snake Creek for mangrove snappers?  target the shoreline or the edge of the channel?  Or is there a better option?  Looks like going far into bay won't be an option.   Thx

Replies

• MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 218 Deckhand
    Anchor at channel edge, chum, drift back baits, have action and pick keepers.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Thx MM, I've got 2 cases of chum that are getting ripe...with the current forecast it looks like we'll be feeding something in those creeks.
  • Blazeman2Blazeman2 Posts: 9 Deckhand
    I've fished the undercut mangroves in the back of the left fork of Snake creek and done well. Caught some nice snapper on live pinfish and pilchards. you stand a legitimate shot at a snook bite too. If you just want to bend the rods get some live shrimp, up your game and fish size with some pinfish or pilchards. line your boat up so that the current will push your bait under the bushes and pitch in the openings.....good luck
  • Nautical wheelerNautical wheeler Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Blazeman2 said:
    I've fished the undercut mangroves in the back of the left fork of Snake creek and done well. Caught some nice snapper on live pinfish and pilchards. you stand a legitimate shot at a snook bite too. If you just want to bend the rods get some live shrimp, up your game and fish size with some pinfish or pilchards. line your boat up so that the current will push your bait under the bushes and pitch in the openings.....good luck
    What he said, I was just there 3 weeks ago at that spot, also on the right fork towards the end there’s a shallow cut that goes NE, We saw both permit and tarpon use it, of course we were not ready for them, but plenty of schoolmasters and mangroves, we did great using small live pin fish for keepers, otherwise try to pitch baits as far under the mangroves as possible or the little ones will get them. On the channel side of the boat, pitch a large rod with a dolphin carcass.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 257 Deckhand
    thanks everyone, got some small ones drifting back into the channel but got run out by a storm.  today tried the bridge at Tavernier creek on the outgoing, had lots of action with the small ones and managed a few keepers...wife and boys were happy so I call that a win.