Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weather gods not cooprating

Whole year waiting for this week,  and I get wind and rain, the weather gods are not cooperating this year, still nit is worth it away from everything with family. 

GMZ052>055-072>075-202030-
Straits of Florida from Ocean Reef to Craig Key out 20 NM-
Straits of Florida from Craig Key to west end of Seven Mile
Bridge out 20 NM-
Straits of Florida from west end of Seven Mile Bridge to south of
Halfmoon Shoal out 20 NM-
Straits of Florida from Halfmoon Shoal to 20 NM west of Dry
Tortugas out 20 NM-
Straits of Florida from Ocean Reef to Craig Key 20 to 60 NM out-
Straits of Florida from Craig Key to west end of Seven Mile
Bridge 20 to 60 NM out-
Straits of Florida from west end of Seven Mile Bridge to south of
Halfmoon Shoal 20 to 60 NM out-
Straits of Florida from Halfmoon Shoal to 20 NM west of Dry
Tortugas 20 to 60 NM out-
1030 AM EDT Mon Jul 20 2020

SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION FOR INCREASING WINDS

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MAY BE REQUIRED TUESDAY

THIS AFTERNOON
East winds near 15 knots, increasing to 15 to
20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet, building to 4 to 5 feet. Numerous
showers and scattered thunderstorms developing. Winds and seas
higher in and near showers and thunderstorms.

TONIGHT
East to southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to
6 feet. Numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms.

TUESDAY
East to southeast winds near 20 knots, decreasing to
15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Numerous showers and scattered
thunderstorms.

TUESDAY NIGHT
East to southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas
4 to 6 feet. Numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms.

WEDNESDAY
East to southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to
6 feet. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY
East to southeast winds 15 to
20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Scattered showers and isolated
thunderstorms.

FRIDAY NIGHT
East winds near 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet.
Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    No fun and no fair. Sorry bud.
    Still better than sitting in my chair reading your post. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    eesh.   May I suggest Phase 10 as a card game?   When we were in Marathon in 2017 it was just as a hurricane was coming through.  So we were stuck in the house for the first 3 days of that trip.   Then when the weather finally broke, so did my motor.   primer bulb crapped itself so that took a day to diagnose...then as i was putting the cowling back on i ripped a plug wire loose, so had to overnight a coil pack for $150 and lost another day.   I think on that trip we actually spent less time on the boat than just a normal day fishing.   It was awful.   So i feel your pain.  
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • JaxJax Posts: 77 Deckhand
    I just spent 3 days in the Tortugas. Friday-Sunday. It was 3 to 5 the whole time, with an occasional 6 footer to keep you on yours toes. We’ve had the trip booked for 2 years so no turning back. We did kill the fish though, so worth getting my **** beat for 3 days.  If I can figure out how to post pictures I’ll show you the end result. 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,819 AG
    Just got back from Big Pine yesterday. We had to take advantage of the mornings as those afternoon Boomers came rolling in. Still managed a ton of Yellow Tail, couple grouper and hogfish. Had a couple wind storms come through on Friday night that were Epic. Almost blew the Tiki Hut off the end of the dock.

• GotseaGotsea Posts: 690 Officer
    edited July 21 #6
    Thank you guys, I have mange a few fish, nothing that I want to write home about lol, but still got the rod bend, yesterday late afternoon I went to the very exit of the canal to the ocean thinking maybe it was manageable, but decided to stay inside, years ago I would have venture, but now I am about to turn 71, had a terrible accident last August, broke my neck and had to have two huge surgeries, now I have 5 screws holding it together, one of those screws goes so I  will too, I better don't  bounce around. I did    manage 4 mangroves 12" to 13" and a couple of small hammerheads that went back to grow more, it was fun on light takle, to day is a different story, raining and blowing, we'll see how is the afternoon may take another trip to the canal exit. 
    cheers guys 
    sure they weren't bonnetheads?  i've caught scores of them down in the keys and 3 feet is pretty much full grown.   I enjoy eating them as well we don't throw them back.  
    Are you talking about the canals in KCB? Those oceanside piers are holding good numbers of 10-16" mangos. Thats what filled my freezer. People fish that canal mouth for tarpon every night. They're always rolling between the no wake buoys and shore. Big ones too.  
    i've seen them @L8RBRA with balloons out there fishing for tarpon in the late afternoon.   Haven't done it myself but i've always wanted to drift a catfish that has had it's spines snipped off back and see what happens.  

i've seen them @L8RBRA with balloons out there fishing for tarpon in the late afternoon.   Haven't done it myself but i've always wanted to drift a catfish that has had it's spines snipped off back and see what happens.  

I try and stay away from those cats. I got nailed this past trip with using my long needle-nose too. I was like.... wft how did that just happen. Ill take my chances and use a chub before a catfish. lololol

I was catching them on fresh live white bait. Man they are some line shy emeffers though. Best luck I had was casting a liphooked live bait with 20 floro. Was cool feeding them mango wings at the end of the night by the green dock lights. Actually tricked one into eating my line. Only after feeding him about 20 without a hook.
    well that doesn't look good 
  • RealdealRealdeal Posts: 29 Deckhand
    In the same boat...my first trip to the keys (Marathon) in the last three years(since my son was born)! Bought a new boat in October and have been looking forward to trolling for some mahi and tuna! Doesn’t look like it is going to happen. Trying to find some places in the bay side to fish ! Got a couple of keeper mangroves yesterday and the day before ...think I got enough for some tacos! Sucks but still better than working! 
    edited July 21 #14
    Rum and netflix.   card games.    maybe a drinking game IDK.   I'm feeling your pain.  Maybe go to the marathon turtle hospital.   we went to the George Adderley house one day the have trails  you can walk.    some afternoons i just sat in the boat tied off and drank while fishing right at the dock.   Pathetic but it wasn't nothing   
    sure they weren't bonnetheads?  i've caught scores of them down in the keys and 3 feet is pretty much full grown.   I enjoy eating them as well we don't throw them back.  
    You Are right they were bonnethead, I have eaten it before on ceviche, but did not felt like dealing with it, it has been raining most of the day, tomorrow is suppose to get a littler better, in any case I try and make the best of it
    L8RBRA said:
    Are you talking about the canals in KCB? Those oceanside piers are holding good numbers of 10-16" mangos. Thats what filled my freezer. People fish that canal mouth for tarpon every night. They're always rolling between the no wake buoys and shore. Big ones too.  
    No I am further down closer to the 7 Miles, Sister Creek, I went to the very end near the ocean exit, I try the mangrove side, I may try the dock next time 
    Yup the weather has been less than nice to us, today I went offshore at 7:30 am, it was sloppy to say the list, the forecast was 2 to 3 but there was nothing out there less than 3' so I took it slow, after a while at about 600' I saw 2 frigates, motor to it and trolled two ballyhoos one naked the other with the skirt, got one bite on the naked got unglued, on the second pass, another bite got a keeper 25", five minutes later on the same area another keeper 23" but it was to rough and I couldn't take any more so came in, was at the house by  11:45, there was only a couple of boats out there, "very sporty" 
    Good job getting fish.