Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Fish wings aka fish throats or collars

ShedheadShedhead Posts: 62 Deckhand
edited July 19 in Sportsman's Kitchen #1
I'm never throwing away collars again.  Amazing cut of meat.  Typically considered waste. Than again at one time spare ribs and chicken wings were the same. Little creole seasoning,  tossed on the grill with a little hickory or oak..

DAAAAAAM!! 

But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,615 Admiral
    I agree, I never waste them on any fish larger than 5 lbs or so.  Grilled Almaco Jack collars are great as they remind me of Hamachi Kama. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,126 Officer
    Looks tasty 😋 
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 131 Deckhand
     We grew up eating the entire fish. Those wings are literally the best part of eating a fish. If you want to be more adventurous try the head. You don’t have to actually eat the head but the head gives the broth a nice flavor and thickens the water. One of of favorite recipe is hot/sour soup made with grouper head with grouper steaks. Cobia and tile fish also works great. Also if your doing a fish fry, those fins and tail are amazing, taste like adult potato chips. Same goes with fish rib cage, fry those ribs cage hot enough and it’s a nice crunch. Dust with a little salt and cover with corn scratch. 
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 468 Deckhand
    i never throw redfish throats away. if i accumulate a bunch, i'll grill em up and make smoked fish dip out of a few to serve with the others.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 481 Deckhand
    In another thread recently, I mentioned my Japanese-Hawaiian girlfriend who liked to steam smaller fish whole, then pick apart the head while I ate filets.  I was amazed at how much meat she'd get out of the head.  I tried it and - big surprise - it tasted like the rest of the fish.  
  • ShedheadShedhead Posts: 62 Deckhand
     try the head. You don’t have to actually eat the head but the head gives the broth a nice flavor and thickens the water. O
    I've used whitefish carcasses to make stock, pick out the meat, then made a new England style fish chowder..

This is my first time targeting specifically the collars, most of the time the fish I catch dont have a collar big enough to bother .. 
    But hey dare, what do I know.. I'm just a Yankee salmon fisherman.. or no? See some of my pictures on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BDMhg_NKD21/... search jamers_h
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,423 Admiral
    I love grouper throats. A shame how many get thrown away
    You should have been here yesterday