Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Traffic to the Keys

Hi guys I am leaving for Marathon from  Miami Lakes on Saturday morning, plans are to leave the house at 9:00 AM (depending on the amount stuff the wife wants to pack at the last minute) in any case what has been your experience in the last couple of weeks, how much traffic has it been,,
Thanks 

Replies

• mike_smike_s Posts: 442 Deckhand
    Drove down to KW last Wednesday (mid-day). Traffic was pretty steady the entire way down. Seemed like weekend traffic from Key Largo to Big Pine. Kind of surprised being mid week after lunch. 
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 415 Deckhand
    edited July 17 #3
    I live here. Traffic is Getting bad and is only going to get worse. South bound side of the bridge in kw is down. Prepare for delays 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    I either try and hit that beautiful blue wall later in the evening or at day break to avoid any issues.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    we came down on a saturday before memorial day weekend in 2017 and from Orlando it's about 6hrs.   Got there in just under 9.  From Homestead through Key Largo it was bumper to bumper a solid 3.5mph for at least 2hrs.   I try to make sure I top off the truck right there in Homestead at that racetrac before i get into Key Largo just in case it's ugly.  But once you get past Key Largo it usually thins out a bit. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 690 Officer
    Thanks guys, planning on hitting the road at  8:00 am now, truck is toped off with diesel should be good to idle for two days if need it, lets see how long it takes 
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 336 Deckhand

GOTSEA well you should be checked in by now had a couple

cold ones and getting ready to go fishing.Enjoy your vacation.

• woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    I jai had to make a round trip to lauderdale and back from big pine today, and just got home.  No issues just 45 the whole way tourist season traffic.  I am sure he made it fine.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 690 Officer
    Left Miami Lakes at 9:30 AM under rain got pour on heavily till Florida City, arrived at Marathon  12:30, not a lot of traffic, house key was not ready for pick up till 4 so hang out at Target parking lot got key went to the house unloaded boat and trucks, went to 33 ST ramp, line was to US 1 one hour later boat on the water, went under 7 miles bridge to go around to the hose, seas were sloppy, caught some rain, went out around 9 solo caught a couple of mangroves went back in/ it was sloppy plus I was dead tired, slept in the morning, will see today, weather is not cooperating much  cheers 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    Gotsea said:
    Left Miami Lakes at 9:30 AM under rain got pour on heavily till Florida City, arrived at Marathon  12:30, not a lot of traffic, house key was not ready for pick up till 4 so hang out at Target parking lot got key went to the house unloaded boat and trucks, went to 33 ST ramp, line was to US 1 one hour later boat on the water, went under 7 miles bridge to go around to the hose, seas were sloppy, caught some rain, went out around 9 solo caught a couple of mangroves went back in/ it was sloppy plus I was dead tired, slept in the morning, will see today, weather is not cooperating much  cheers 
    Keep on em dude. Wish your conditions were better.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    Good luck!  hoping today is good to you 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol