Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Blues Runner Snapper Saturday - Where did they go?

Sky KingSky King Posts: 316 Deckhand
Absolutely amazing. The first picture is representative of yesterday's catch. The second set of pictures are reflective of what happens outside of our "snapper weekends". Great contrast to what we found yesterday. The west wind vs the east current didn't help! I hope you had better luck! 

Signature3.jpg

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,873 Captain
    How do those fish know? 

Weird....

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,058 Captain
    Don't feel bad.  One of my engines died last weekend so we are completely missing the season. 

I'm a firm believer the fish move around maybe more than we think.  We have one spot we call Jurassic park.  We can stop there and it's crazy overrun with big snapper, big triggers and big beeliners.  Next time we stop there, nothing on the depth finder and can't buy a nibble.  So now a days we move to another spot quickly if we're not seeing them on the depthfinder and not getting bites.
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 207 Deckhand
    I really think the snapper get wise to the sudden pressure very fast. When they start seeing 100 boats go over them in a day they shut down and get picky. It usually helps to downsize your tackle and try to give your bait a natural presentation.  And lots of good quality chum. 
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Totally agree with you seapro15.  We fished all 3 days and found that the bigger ones got wary in a hurry.  Catching chicken snapper is easy.  Getting the 15+ lb ones to bite wasn't so easy on Saturday & Sunday based on the action I saw on other boats around us.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,266 AG
    Just like deer season, as soon as you can go choot em, they're gone across the river.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 751 Officer
    edited July 14 #7
    I'd go as deep as you safely can. We had no issues getting them on livies and bulky tackle in about 100 feet.