Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Snapper Season Bust!

If you would have told me I would come home empty handed on the first two days of snapper season, I would have laughed! Well, I'm not laughing right now. I talked to a few boats out on the water, and they tell the same story. Today a dive boat called me to their spot, and told me there were big snaps all below. We never got a snap bite on that spot. I've seen some really good reports, but our report sucks. 

Congrats to those who got on them!

Not sure if I'm going tomorrow...

Replies

• cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 319 Deckhand
    We must be working the same places.  Lots of small snaps, and bog marks on the MFD but no biters.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Tons of grunts, cudas and even sardines and tiny snapper, but not a lot beyond that.  We had to really work hard to get ours.  I feel like the winter snapper bite is way better 
  • HerdnturtlesHerdnturtles Posts: 6 Deckhand
    We found live bait was key to getting ours. Live grunts seemed to produce best
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 52 Deckhand
    Bite stoped early we were slamming them until 930 and then it shut down, ended up with out limit all around 15-20 pounders. 
    We went out 120’ but I think the bigger ones were deeper.

every spot that we thought was a secret had 2-3 boats on it. All the fishing pressure likely had their jaws sore.
    could you imagine Being a fish down there this weekend I bet a few got knocked out with bank sinkers haha.
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 304 Deckhand
    Fished Jax Wreck, public number bout ten miles out. Left em biting. 
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,593 Captain
    weird.. that is what happened to us last year... and yea found out our 'secret spot' aint really a secret... scary
  • mikehauncho92mikehauncho92 JacksonvillePosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I fished all three days and the bite was tougher than I anticipated but we limited out every day. All spring long I couldn't fish any of my numbers without catching 20+lb snapper one after another, but the only big snappers we caught this weekend were on friday morning and we caught 5 in the 20-25lb range, the rest of the weekend we ended up with a limit of fish all around 25" inches. I think the fact there was 5 boats on every spot had a little to do with it. Like others have said, the bigger fish were deeper.
  • islandrunislandrun North EastPosts: 14 Deckhand
    If you would have told me I would come home empty handed on the first two days of snapper season, I would have laughed! Well, I'm not laughing right now. I talked to a few boats out on the water, and they tell the same story. Today a dive boat called me to their spot, and told me there were big snaps all below. We never got a snap bite on that spot. I've seen some really good reports, but our report sucks. 

Congrats to those who got on them!

Not sure if I'm going tomorrow...
    Sorry to hear that.  Drove 3 1/2 hr, stayed at a hotel, got up at 4am next day and got on a scheduled 12hr head boat that featured Red Snapper fishing.  Didn't get one, only caught sand bass and one decent size black bass.  Others did catch their 2 limit but was only legal teens. Some caught some nice Mango's about 4-6 pounders. Boat came in at 6pm, I got off, and cleaned up a little and drove straight home.  Doing it again at near EOM on a 36hr west side adventure, still a one way 3 1/2hr drive, hotel but boat leaves a earlier next day so gotta get up at 3am. If I get lucky, I;ll post.
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 253 Deckhand
    I went out 2 days, one day in my 18' flats boat to the PW area and limited out quick. The other time in a buddy's 23 footer and limited out really quickly on frozen cigars about 25 miles out
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 285 Deckhand
    I was done catching snapper by 1000 both days  I went with a three man limit after catching 50 or so to get the three big ones.  But I was going 52 miles out for them.  Then I went to work on the stringer fish.  both days we loaded the cooler.  I got fish everywhere and I have not even king fished this year.  Normally I switch over in in the middle of June.  But bottom fishing has been so good this year I can't bring myself to trying for kings.  
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,873 Captain
    Sounds like a lot of y'all did really well!