Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Shallow water fishing

Planning a trip down from Atlanta. Where would I be able to fish back country/flats in the Ft Lauderdale area?  Would I be better off going all the way to flamingo? 
Thanks 

Replies

• Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 53 Deckhand
    Do you have a boat?
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 95 Deckhand
    I don't believe that you'll find much back country/flats fishing in the greater Ft Lauderdale area. I would suggest south Biscayne Bay or Key Largo
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    I would be in a boat but have a kayak too. 
    South Biscayne and key largo makes sense. 
    Thanks so much. 
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Best launch sites would be Bayfront Park in Homestead or John Pennekamp in Key Largo
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 280 Deckhand
    You can try the west lake park area in Ft. Lauderdale. It's a mangrove preserve with a lot of water moving in and out with the tides and there are plenty of fish back there. Flamingo is hot and buggy but full of fish. 
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 840 Officer
    Shhhh…….let me share a secret with you, look into the Stuart, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound, Ft. Pierce area.  It's less than two hours north of Ft. Lauderdale and the Snook Capital.  Right now, they are spawning at the inlet and plentiful.  This area is much nicer and safer than the Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area, I lived down there for 50 years.  Flamingo is beautiful and great fishing but it is very far south and desolate and as mentioned above, MOSQUITOES, they will carry you away.  
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Yeah man go north or south of Ft lauderdale for inshore fishing 
    juipiter to Sebastian lots of inshore fishing south Biscayne bay down to the keys inshore treasure 

ft lauderdale
    is city limits fishing