Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Moon phase for bottom fishing summertime?

I might have a selection of some times to bottom fish out of KW during this month. If you had to rate it, what moon phase is best for bottom fishing and at night as well?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JaxJax Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Hey Gary, I’ve found that the day of the full moon sucks. We’ve always done the best 2-3 day’s before and 2 - 3 days after the full moon. Same for new moon. I have a Yuri trip on the 17th and ARS season is open.  Hopefully that system that’s way down there will go away. 
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 690 Officer
    In my experience and looking at my fishing log with years of notes, full and new moon are the best, follow by first quarter, that said, atmospheric pressure is also important low pressure is always bad, water temperature and of course current that is most prevalent on full and new moons , too many variants  
  • jimbo78jimbo78 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Personally I like full moon for nighttime fishing and new moon for daytime. 
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Fished my fav yt spot out of Marathon on the night of the new moon two weeks ago, got covered up with nice muttons. Next night, nada. Never saw a yt either night. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    I freaking hate the full moon. The day before, the day of, and the day after the the full are best for knocking out a few honey do’s so you can fish the rest of the month. 
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,207 AG
    It would be a multi day, two night trip so 'compromise'?
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 978 Officer
    edited July 10 #8
    This past full moon we killed it west of  the Tortugas. Some of the fastest fishing I’ve seen in 35 years.

Moon is just a part of the equation 

This past full moon we killed it west of  the Tortugas. Some of the fastest fishing I’ve seen in 35 years.

Moon is just a part of the equation 

Thera are many other influencers, the other most important is barometric pressure, low pressure no fish, water temp etc.   
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     I dont agree that low baro = no fish. I've done very well on snapper on a falling barometer. As well as other fish. Likewise I've done well on all moon phrases, and terrible as well. 

They will eat when ready. Do you only eat when the baro is steady & the weather is fair? I eat when I'm hungry, or able. 
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 218 Deckhand
    Back when I commercial fished in the 70's and 80's and considered all of the factors, sometimes the fish still didn't know that they were supposed to be biting! B)
     I dont agree that low baro = no fish. I've done very well on snapper on a falling barometer. As well as other fish. Likewise I've done well on all moon phrases, and terrible as well. 

They will eat when ready. Do you only eat when the baro is steady & the weather is fair? I eat when I'm hungry, or able. 
    It is a well know phenomena that low pressure affects the way  animals  behave, that said there are many things that cause the fish not to eat, but definitive low baro pressure according to my 20 + years fishing log book   is no good,    
    Thanks guys!

If I'm looking at a calendar, I can match that with Moon Tables, but you cannot predict low/high pressures.

How about moon (light) versus night fishing?
    Gotsea said:

It is a well know phenomena that low pressure affects the way  animals  behave, that said there are many things that cause the fish not to eat, but definitive low baro pressure according to my 20 + years fishing log book   is no good,    

You do you bud. I dont need you to refute my opinion, or experience.  

I'm third generation fisherman her in FL. Second generation native Floridian & I've got well over 20 years (30 some) fishing here. Sometimes three, or four days a week. Im talking 12 hour days to.

I know what my life's experience tells me & I've tore them up in all conditions. Matter of fact. The four keeper fins & the I dont know how many 30-40 peanuts. we released a few weeks ago were in the middle of two severe thunder storms. You cant tell me that the baro was not dropping. It triggered them. 
     Since this is supposed to be about bottom fishing. I will use another example. I've had times when the mutton's were so fired up in the middle of a storm I was catching them every drop on yt jigs, when I would flip them in they weren't even hooked. Just holding the jig. Tell me they weren't fired up. 
      I could literally write a book on fish chewing in "bad" conditions. 

By the way just when you think you've got them figured out, the fish will remind you that you dont have a clue. 

I do have my own opinions on moon phase & snapper. It doesn't stop me it just helps me make a decision if I'm fishing for tails, or mutton. 
  • fixedratefixedrate Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Since everyone has a different, and often opposite opinion, seems to me fish can be caught in any conditions, including moon phase.  with that being said the opposite is true and you can be skunked in any conditions as well.

Or are the old salts with 50 years of keys fishing expertise going to say they have never been skunked and always catch no matter what the tide, moon, wind, temp??

btw, not a "native" Floridian.  "native" NJ if that makes one bit of difference, with a house in the keys.
    Definitive fish are caught  in all conditions, that does not preclude me from picking up the more favorable days according to my years of notes and comparison to take the boat out and spend $300 worth of gas, bait, ramps fees, tolls, food and drinks, just my two cents, cheers tight lines 
    So what are you guys' more favorable conditions with regards to moon phase? Asking to help me now, decide on a trip next summer. 

Thanks!

edited July 23 #18
     Garry, Like I said, before "In my experience and looking at my fishing log with years of notes, full and new moon are the best, follow by first quarter" then again some other anglers may have a different experience, I base my prefference on stats 
    If I had to pick only five days to fish, per month and could not consider anything other than moon phase, I’d start on the first quarter and fish the next five days.  
    Second choice would be to start on the new moon and fish the next five days. 
    edited July 23 #20
    If I had to block off three days to never fish again, it would be the day before, the day of, and the day after the full...I still fish my least favorite moon though all the time.  Sometimesyou just have to go when you can.  Sometimes it works out, other times it doesn’t. 
     Gary M said:
    I might have a selection of some times to bottom fish out of KW during this month. If you had to rate it, what moon phase is best for bottom fishing and at night as well?

Thanks in advance!

Around the July full moon. At night. On hard bottom in 120' or less. For mangrove snapper.

Gary M said:
    So what are you guys' more favorable conditions with regards to moon phase? Asking to help me now, decide on a trip next summer. 

Thanks!

What is the specific target species? Mangrove, mutton, yellow tail snapper, or grouper? 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,103 Officer
     Gary M said:

Thanks in advance!

Around the July full moon. At night. On hard bottom in 120' or less. For mangrove snapper.

Gary M said:

Thanks!

What is the specific target species? Mangrove, mutton, yellow tail snapper, or grouper? 
    Exactly! Different fish seem to prefer different conditions. I agree with almost all of the mentioned philosophies. You can't catch them from the couch..but if I had my druthers it would be 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon...except if you were night fishing for Kingfish.
    Last summer, we happened to be at a moon phase, in July that was going to be good for Mangoves, so we targeted them and did well. However, it was more quantity and not bigger fish. But they were biting very well right after sundown and until well after midnight.  So, our 'plan' worked!

Thanks for all the Replies!