Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

islamorada-officials-eye-mini-season-cancellation

2»

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,428 Officer
    edited July 19 #32
    The way I remember it, it was 6 per or 24 per boat, whatever was higher.

Before the above regulation it was 24 per boat no matter how many people were on board... Many people speared them and then wrung the tails off in the water since getting bit by a moray eel after sticking your hand into a hole for a bug was a real possibility.  (Tickling sticking had not been developed yet and removing the tails off in the water was legal.)

Then they changed it to dynelson72's comment. Finally, they changed it again to 6 per person period in the regular season for the entire state, and that is when I stopped lobstering solo in the regular season since it was not worth my time to go out just for 6 bugs. 

Poaching is still a big problem just by seeing how many lobster type condos have been deployed in the Biscayne Bay lobster sanctuary near water front residential developments. 

Giimoozaabi
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 689 Officer
    Know first hand have one nurse and an officer close to my hart, son and daughter in law,  
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,103 Officer
    Spoke to a FWC officer the other day and they said the mini season would have to be closed state wide for a closure to be in effect. Also said he had no idea if it was in the works or not as that was way above his pay grade. Actually both of the officers ( a man and a woman) were really pleasant to interact with as opposed to the experiences I've had of late with those in Dade County.
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Headed down 8/2 for a week with the family. Planning on doing nothing but fishing, diving, and drinking in the pool. Hopefully we’ll be able to ingress and egress. 
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Latest this morning -

Monroe County Mayor Heather Carruthers called an emergency virtual special meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday, July 21 at 9 a.m. via Zoom. The purpose is to discuss the continuing spike in cases of COVID-19, asking FWC to cancel mini-season, and other protective measures regarding boat ramps and the County’s vacation rental plan. For information on how to join tomorrow: www.monroecounty-fl.gov/meetings or http://monroecountyfl.iqm2.com/citizens/default.aspx.

Or iPhone one-tap : 
    US: +16465189805,,91205389822# or +16699006833,,91205389822# 
    Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 646 518 9805 or +1 669 900 6833 
    Webinar ID: 912 0538 9822
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Monroe county bocc met this morning, the are NOT going to partition the FWC to cancel mini- season.  However there are going to be public ramp closures (primarily in the upper keys key largo, tavineer, islamorada and restating mask requirements.

please be safe out there everyone, and use common sense!

bo
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,246 Moderator
    woodytoo said:
    Monroe county bocc met this morning, the are NOT going to partition the FWC to cancel mini- season.  However there are going to be public ramp closures (primarily in the upper keys key largo, tavineer, islamorada and restating mask requirements.

please be safe out there everyone, and use common sense!

bo
    I thought they were going to push to keep public boat ramps open IF you could show proof of residency, or that you had rented accommodations for your stay.  I guess an effort to A)  Capture revenue from those staying for 6+ days, and B)  Reduce congestion at ramps by not having folks come down for the day.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    If i have to dig out my paperwork to show i'm staying that's fine w me.   It's a little eastern Europe circa the 1980s but whatever it takes. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,458 AG
    Sounds like Marathon is gonna be fun this mini season.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • yfarmyfarm Posts: 26 Deckhand
    Monroe County BOCC is on facebook and has details about closures, rental rules, etc
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 52 Deckhand
    So I go online and print a lease agreement and I'm good to go? Wow, foolproof. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL