Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     I heard about this a few weeks ago. I was not certain if it was true, or a rumor. 
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,458 AG
    I guess now all they have to do is get the county and state on board.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    oh crap
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     Soda is that when you're trip was planned? I was thinking of you the other day.  T minus & counting. Hope it doesn't ruin your trip. 
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 690 Officer
    Leave it to the politicians and they will think of anything to go on a power trip and ruing it for everyone else, wonder how many have their boat on the back of their house ready to go and have all to themselves. hopefully it won't happen   
  • bwhite35bwhite35 South CarolinaPosts: 7 Deckhand
    We are coming down.  If they cancel it oh well we will just fish.  I would be really surprised if they cancelled it though being the hit the economy took from being shot down already. 

Locals want mini season to be a thing of the past anyway correct?

• WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 52 Deckhand
    What good would this do? Regular season opens 8 days later, you'd have the same mayhem just a week later, only with the added traffic of the commercial lobster fleet and a million traps. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL
  • bwhite35bwhite35 South CarolinaPosts: 7 Deckhand
    What good would this do? Regular season opens 8 days later, you'd have the same mayhem just a week later, only with the added traffic of the commercial lobster fleet and a million traps. 
    I was kinda thinking the same thing
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,443 AG
    400,000 traps
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 831 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    400,000 traps
    400,000 too many Crab Man!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,620 Admiral
    To be honest with you I would get rid of mini season altogether statewide so be it.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

I don't mind one way or another I have not go to mini-season for a few years now, too dangerous too many people willing to run you over for a couple of lobsters 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,428 Officer

I preferred it way back when the bag limit was 24 bugs per boat no matter how many people were on the boat. Then they changed the bag limit to accommodate the dive charter boats so they could take out 20 people or more to chase lobster and tear the reef up. Now the locals in Miami bring out their uncles and cousins so they can take 80 bugs or more if they are north of Biscayne National Park where the limit is 12 bugs per person in the mini season...

Giimoozaabi
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 52 Deckhand

I preferred it way back when the bag limit was 24 bugs per boat no matter how many people were on the boat. Then they changed the bag limit to accommodate the dive charter boats so they could take out 20 people or more to chase lobster and tear the reef up. Now the locals in Miami bring out their uncles and cousins so they can take 80 bugs or more if they are north of Biscayne National Park where the limit is 12 bugs per person in the mini season...

Agreed, the newer limit profile encourages dragging more people down to the Keys and overloading boats with the hope of scoring big. If we went back to max 24, there would probably be half the people in the Keys. Who knows, maybe it would just be twice as many boats. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL
  • dvnelson72dvnelson72 Posts: 9 Deckhand
    The way I remember it, it was 6 per or 24 per boat, whatever was higher.
    edited July 6 #17
    Gotsea said:
    I don't mind one way or another I have not go to mini-season for a few years now, too dangerous too many people willing to run you over for a couple of lobsters 
    Last time I went, 10 years ago, I parked on my best spot at 8pm and slept there.  At sunup there was one other boat.

i had my son with me.  I was diving in 7’ water within 20’ of the boat. As I caught our last lobster, I hear an engine approaching.  I hugged the bottom and saw a boat go right over me barely moving.

not only was I next to my boat, but I had a dive flag directly over me so my son (8) could see where I was.

i pop up and say “what the hell you couldn’t see my boat, the flag on the boat, or the flag you ran over?”

this is the gods honest truth.  He says “you deserve it assh*le. You are on my spot. I was hoping I would hit you.”

done. I don’t put myself in the way of crazy people.  I prefer September when the rush is over.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,921 Captain
    I think in Monroe county during mini season, it's 6 per person with no boat limit 
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 218 Deckhand
    Islamorada can't do **** about this!
    OMG, I didn't even spell it. Don't send me to camp. It's too hot and I've been actually giving good info lately to help people catch more fish!
    Klinger said:
    I think in Monroe county during mini season, it's 6 per person with no boat limit 
    I meant way back in the late 80s, not now.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 404 Deckhand
    listened listened to the county commissioner right now.  Mini season is still on, no consensus with the bocc.

if you come down for it, please be safe, take precautions, and pay attention to safety on the water!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
    I'm in Stock Island for 4 weeks, and just asked our property management company to see if we can extend a week for mini season.  The receptionist told me it was cancelled and her husband was really upset about it.

I can't find any news that supports her statement. 
    Because she is wrong - no decision has been made.  At this point it is on.  Look on Monroe county bocc site for the official status.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    Last time I went, 10 years ago, I parked on my best spot at 8pm and slept there.  At sunup there was one other boat.

i had my son with me.  I was diving in 7’ water within 20’ of the boat. As I caught our last lobster, I hear an engine approaching.  I hugged the bottom and saw a boat go right over me barely moving.

not only was I next to my boat, but I had a dive flag directly over me so my son (8) could see where I was.

i pop up and say “what the hell you couldn’t see my boat, the flag on the boat, or the flag you ran over?”

this is the gods honest truth.  He says “you deserve it assh*le. You are on my spot. I was hoping I would hit you.”

done. I don’t put myself in the way of crazy people.  I prefer September when the rush is over.
    Effin idiots. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,508 Admiral
    tourists destroy everything
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Gardawg said:
    tourists destroy everything 
    I know what you are saying unfortunately they pay the bill 
    Sooooo ... not sure how this will go.  Mini season is officially on, but municipalities are locking down.

islamorada is closing bust ramps and parks starting the 24th.  Also seeing bar and restaurant closures in marathon and key west.

like I said, don’t know how this will turn out ...
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    IMO the #s the government  regarding new case are BS, I don't know whos agenda or what they are pursuing 
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 572 Officer
    The only numbers that matter is the available ICU beds available.  Once Miami is full, that is the end of the Keys for tourists.  Money or not, if you can't treat sick and injured whether tourist or local, time to close up shop.  Lobsters or not.  God bless the front line people at the South Florida hospitals, but my worst nightmare would be to get injured or sick down here in the Keys (non-virus related) and wake up in a Miami hospital.  Again, no-disparagement to the staff at the hospitals, but not somewhere I would want to be during these times.  Other times, no worries.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
    Well bless their little hearts. They figured a way to harass the tourists! B)