Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Advice on Rainshadow blank for Van Staal VR150

wahoo1900wahoo1900 Hillsboro InletPosts: 25 Deckhand
Never had a Rainshadow before but I am thinking to get a RCLB810L 8’10, 15-30lb, 3/4-3oz lure weight, XF action, 6.5oz blank weight. I am going to be pairing it up with a Van Staal VR150. Just wondering all of your thoughts, I want this setup to be light so that I can fish extended periods of time and I also want the rod to be nice and tippy to work lures. Is this blank good for that? And will 6.5oz blank be light and nice to use in terms of weight?

Replies

• wahoo1900wahoo1900 Hillsboro InletPosts: 25 Deckhand
    Never had a Rainshadow before but I am thinking to get a RCLB810L 8’10, 15-30lb, 3/4-3oz lure weight, XF action, 6.5oz blank weight. I am going to be pairing it up with a Van Staal VR150. Just wondering all of your thoughts, I want this setup to be light so that I can fish extended periods of time and I also want the rod to be nice and tippy to work lures, but have at least some backbone. Is this blank good for that? And will 6.5oz blank be light and nice to use in terms of weight?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain

At 6.5oz it's almost a full 1.5oz heavier than a GSB 108mh, which has roughly the same specs. Not necessarily a bad thing. Rainshadow is known for durable blanks with thick walls. Not the first name that pops into my head when people talk about light blanks.

I already commented on this post in the rodbuilding forum. For the specs listed, no it's not a very light blank. My GSB 108mh is listed at 5.2oz, and it's a dated model, now discontinued. Rainshadow blanks are known for durability and affordability, they're not the first name that comes to mind when discussing lightweight blanks.

At 6.5oz it's almost a full 1.5oz heavier than a GSB 108mh, which has roughly the same specs. Not necessarily a bad thing. Rainshadow is known for durable blanks with thick walls. Not the first name that pops into my head when people talk about light blanks.
    What would be the best blank I can’t get around that same height that is the lightest weight but also the best value not like a phenix 
  • Russ57Russ57 FloridaPosts: 20 Deckhand
    Rainshadow offers a lot of blanks.  The RCLB series is a composite of E glass and lower end graphite.  They are good value (the XL is my go to 8KG class kingfish blank and the M is my general purpose 30# trolling outfit.  The "judge" series is a much higher end live bait blank.  It is S glass and a high end graphite.  It is also more than twice the price (and made in America).

If you want to work lures I don't think a live bait blank would be in your best interest.  Take a look at something like their REVSU80M-DB or REVSU90M-2DB.

Hey, don't be afraid to contact them.  Very down to earth guys who give solid advice.  I have used their blanks and am very satisfied.

P.S. If you every want to cast the lightest possible offering, the greatest possible distance, yet be able to handle the biggest fish......you have to try out a "hotshot" blank.  A little pricey and a delicate/finesse rod.  I've got a HS1025F that can fish 15-20# and will cast a 1 OZ spoon a country mile.....but I wouldn't try and cast 3 ounces with it.  The HS9000 has long been a favorite with the bonefish guys.  I have used mine for freshwater panfish and it is light as a feather....yet I know someone who claimed to land a 65# cobia on one.  And I know a guy that loves the HS9001 for schoolie dolphin...but don't try to flip them in the boat on a hotshot blank.

• Russ57Russ57 FloridaPosts: 20 Deckhand
    Look at Rodgeeks surf casting blanks.  If you have used St. Croix then you know what you will be getting.

For value....MHX blanks at Mudhole, Liberty at Git bit, blems, closeout and discontinued blanks, Black Friday specials!

But consider something, MHX lists a blank at 1-4 OZ, 12-25# test, for $123.50 and it weighs 3.71 ounces.  Lamiglas super surf is rated for 1-3 OZ, 15-25# test, costs $242, but weighs 6 ounces.

I can promise you the Lamiglas is a better blank.  So please don't base everything on blank weight.

wahoo1900 said:

What would be the best blank I can’t get around that same height that is the lightest weight but also the best value not like a phenix 
     I'm not sure what to tell you. Century, CTS, and United Composites make some really nice blanks, but they're going to cost you. If you're on a budget, the rodgeeks blanks are a good option.

wahoo1900 said:

I'm not sure what to tell you. Century, CTS, and United Composites make some really nice blanks, but they're going to cost you. If you're on a budget, the rodgeeks blanks are a good option.
    Russ57 said:
    Look at Rodgeeks surf casting blanks.  If you have used St. Croix then you know what you will be getting.

For value....MHX blanks at Mudhole, Liberty at Git bit, blems, closeout and discontinued blanks, Black Friday specials!

But consider something, MHX lists a blank at 1-4 OZ, 12-25# test, for $123.50 and it weighs 3.71 ounces.  Lamiglas super surf is rated for 1-3 OZ, 15-25# test, costs $242, but weighs 6 ounces.

I can promise you the Lamiglas is a better blank.  So please don't base everything on blank weight.
    Thanks for all the advice, I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with this Lami blank GLB961M- 8’. I want to pair that with a Van Staal VR 150 to fish for snook and tarpon from the beach and pier. It’s only 3.4oz but it’s a 12-25 and has a lure weight of 3/8-2oz. Do you all think this would be a good fit in terms of being light and able to feel your lure, but also give a decent backbone