Home Angler On Foot

Bank Fishing Titusville/Melbourne area

shorefishingshorefishing Posts: 6 Deckhand
Spent the last week in the titusville/melbourne area exploring fresh and saltwater fishing. Found heaps of catfish and a trout, snook, and snapper here and there. Freshwater fishing was on fire and caught tons of monster tilapia as well as bass. How do people get successful getting on gamefish when land based around here? I found it challenging but fun from my experience. I also created some youtube videos of my experience here so check it out if you wanna see my experiences first hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdQxAQRkpPw

Replies

• pmang6pmang6 Sanford/NSBPosts: 8 Deckhand
    edited July 2020 #2
    Its definitely tough to find good spots on foot. Its hard enough to find the fish when you can go anywhere on a boat, land based access issues add a whole other layer of complexity. One thing I can tell you is that there is terrific shore based fishing in your area. Inside the meritt island wildlife refuge there is a maze of little creeks and ponds, each loaded with juvenile snook and tarpon. On the beaches there are everything from pompano to tarpon at different times of year. There is lots of good wading spots in the lagoon. Piers. Bridges. Cheap kayak rental in good fishing areas. The list goes on.

I think as far as finding spots, its just a matter of putting in as much time as possible and fishing different places. Whenever people who are on vacation down here ask me where to catch things like tarpon, redfish, snook, etc, I tell them "on the deck of a charter boat." Thats because its really difficult to just show up in a new fishery and figure out whats going on in a day or two or even a week or two. 

Oh also, I have a great book for you. Its called "Wade Fly Fishing Mosquito Lagoon and North Indian River Lagoon (Florida) from Canaveral National Seashore and Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge" by Luc Desjarlais. This thing is like my bible for fishing the area just a stones throw north of you. It focuses on fly fishing but most of the book is just the author talking about and mapping out his favorite spots so its applicable to any kind of fishing. Its not a novel, its a guide book organized by location, so dont be afraid to just flip to the pages that interest you. Lots of his spots require wading over flats, so head down to academy or where ever and shell out 60$ for a pair, trust me, its worth it to have them.
  • munmin89munmin89 new yorkPosts: 17 Deckhand
    Join hands to protect the health of loved ones and community from corona virus with the best practices that health professionals recommend wearing a mask every day in public and washing hands with an antiseptic solution. shell shockers