Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pine Channel???

Sick_DaySick_Day Winter ParkPosts: 8 Deckhand
How difficult is it to run the Pine Channel (West side of Big Pine) in a 26' boat back to the Content Keys? 

Replies

• Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 388 Deckhand
    edited July 1 #2
    Scary on low tide if you aren’t familiar.  Gets really skinny in some places if you don’t know the area. Can be done though. 
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 385 Deckhand
    What is your draft?  It is easy but you need to know the path.  Best to follow a local first time through.

i have a 2520 Parker with 18” draft.  Run it high and low no problem, but have to watch my marks.

hive a pm and I can assist
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Sick_DaySick_Day Winter ParkPosts: 8 Deckhand
    woodytoo said:
    What is your draft?  It is easy but you need to know the path.  Best to follow a local first time through.

i have a 2520 Parker with 18” draft.  Run it high and low no problem, but have to watch my marks.

hive a pm and I can assist
    My draft is probably the same. I have some friends on Summerland but they don't have deep water. We are coming down next month. I was considering the ramp on Middle Torch but open to suggestions if there are better options. 

I have run the channel on both sides of Summerland, but don't know of any ramps there. 
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 385 Deckhand
    the 4a ramp on little torch is the best one around and brings you out on pine channel.  
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • BigGuyinaLittleBoatBigGuyinaLittleBoat Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Stayed on the west side of BPK last year for start of lobster season. My 20' center console made it fine, but the other boat with us lost 2 out of 3 prop blades. 
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 26 Deckhand
    You have to know the route and then it can be run even at the lowest tide.  I run a 28’ Contender with twins from Port Pine Heights and draft 18”.  It’s scary as mentioned above at extreme low winter tides, but I can still get to Contents.  Local knowledge is key to get your track and gps numbers aligned.