Home Off Topic

Moonshine.......Sugar whiskey ain't the same as corn likker.

ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,319 Moderator

"Like many moonshiners, Glen Price speaks highly of corn. And while no shine or shiner’s process is the same, most past and present will agree: Moonshine is corn. It can be made with some small percentages of other grains, typically barley or rye, and sugar, the ultimate alcohol accelerator, but too much of either and you get something not quite right. Price has been using the same traditional combination of 80% corn, 15% rye, 5% barley since he began, with no sugar added. 

“I should be able to taste the shine in it,” he said. I asked him what that meant.

Corn!” he cried into the phone. “It is all about the corn. You have to be able to taste it.” 

https://bittersoutherner.com/2020/stories-in-the-shine-west-virginia-moonshine-moonshiner-appalachia?goal=0_8269ec3593-1fe0c1dce6-92282273&mc_cid=1fe0c1dce6&mc_eid=f395b5e736
"What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• anglerplusanglerplus MiccoPosts: 260 Deckhand
    Is this a trick question?
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,319 Moderator
    No question, just an opinion. A question would have a "?"

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Fair ‘nuf. 
    The quote is accurate
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,870 Captain
  • Parker boyParker boy Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Sugar whiskey is the cheapest quickest way to make illegal liquor. I doubt many folks make a grain (corn) mash these days.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,081 Admiral
    You can have mine.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,611 Admiral
    I've made a bit...
    Corn is time consuming  and takes more steps. Sugar and Turbo Yeast will give you Poison first run , Burn your Tounge 2nd run and Shine third run.
    Charcoal filtered all the way.
    First run is about 190 proof and good for cleaning Pine Sap off your Truck
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,307 Admiral
    Moonshine and meth make a potent cocktail ... 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    That's an itty bitty still.

RJG

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,857 AG
    That's an itty bitty still.
    Looks like a prop.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,033 Admiral
    I miss woodsrunner 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,513 Captain
    Corn, sugar and water. No yeast or any other additives. Let work. Double distill. Cut to 100 proof and drink as is or age in new charred oak barrels. Some of the finest "bourbon" you will ever taste.
    edited July 1 #14
    Corn, sugar and water. No yeast or any other additives. Let work. Double distill. Cut to 100 proof and drink as is or age in new charred oak barrels. Some of the finest "bourbon" you will ever taste.
    Wild yeast can give an off flavor. Also, it needs malted barley. 
    The rest i agree with. 
    Old school

RJG

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,307 Admiral
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    edited July 1 #17
    One of the few songs I know all the words too. I'm not sure why. 

My daughter lives in Knoxville. Every time I go up, I'll cross Kingston Pike and think about that song.  About 2 miles west of where Cedar Bluff Road and Kingston meet is the site where a  moonshine runner actually died. It's said the story of this kid dying was the basis of the story. There's a rise and a gentle curve in the road and an electrical substation on the right. Story has it he lost control while being chased by the cops. Rear end got light coming over the rise and he lost it in the curve. 

RJG

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,187 Admiral
    That's an old one.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 909 Officer
    Wild yeast can give an off flavor. Also, it needs malted barley. 
    The rest i agree with. 
    Always been fascinated with the show and the good ones on there say the same thing. Regular barley is junk, has to be malted or your wasting your time. 

Never even knew until the show came out and started watching it but I was in and out of a pretty sophisticated still site as a kid when I went to my dads for summer in Tennessee. Whenever we would head to my cousins like hour up into the mountains and stay for the weekend you know how kids like to explore, never actually saw it in action but the copper stills had to be the size of a pickup bed and 4 or 5 foot high. 

Very first time we pulled in there 2 boys(my cousins) like 6 and 8 years old standing in the driveway barefoot with bib overalls and no t-shirt on with there hands tucked inside the bibs and both of em have a plug of Levi garrett the size of a golf ball hanging out there mouth. Middle of august hot as the dickens and oh ya I never been so sick before in my life before that weekend was over. Who knew you weren't supposed to swallow it all that chew especially at such a young age. First time I was introduced to some serious cockfighting also, they would strap razor blades that were shaped just like the roosters spurs on the birds and let em go and watch the blood fly, it was nuts!!!