Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Daytime Grovers BPK

Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 388 Deckhand
Pretty much all you can catch right now on the reef. This same spot was pure yellowtail last month. Mangroves moved in and you won’t see a single yellowtail in the slick. Chum and they will show up in numbers. Have been out about 5 times in the last month and have gotten our 3 person limit within 15-20 minutes. Some days it’s very almost every bait. Fish average around 14 inches. Have caught numerous 17-20 inches as well. Enjoy it while it last, they’ll be leaving mid to late August. Couldn’t post the video but here a a few pictures cut from a video. 

Replies

• GotseaGotsea Posts: 610 Officer
    excellent eat, my favor table fare, nice, can't wait to get there in 3 weeks 
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 385 Deckhand
    Awesome indeed!  They are gathering.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    Hopefully they're still there when we get there August 8th.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 388 Deckhand
  • roger102msuroger102msu FloridaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    i'm heading down to Big Pine Key today, i'm hoping to get some snapper.  Were you just fishing on the reef, and fishing similar to yellowtail? or are you fishing bottom?  trying to learn here.  light tackle?  thank you
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 738 Officer
    edited July 2 #8
    If you have nice current you can catch the bigger mangroves during the day on live horse pilchards or small pinfish, and also ballyhoo chunks.  You can use smaller ballys as well but you will miss some hookups.  Early morning is best.  Current is not that much of a factor at night, with slower to none being just fine.  Instead of just floating the chum out of the bag, try tossing some scoops of chum out the stern so they make a splash.  Works best when there's no current.  Wait till an hour past sunset.  You will hear the mangroves splashing behind the boat when you toss the chum.  Use cut ballyhoo or thread herring as bait.  No need use to light line or fluorocarbon leaders at night.  Problem at night is you sometimes get the smaller ones swarming behind the boat and they won't let the bigger fish get to the bait.  If that happens, cast your bait far back as sometimes the bigger ones will be behind the swarms of smaller ones.  Depth depends on the area.  I've caught them as shallow as 35' off Bahia Honda, 80' off Tennessee Reef, and 96' at the tip of the bar off Boca Grande Key past Key West.  If you are in the right spot you will see the school come up under the boat in the sounder when it gets dark.  I prefer last quarter moon to first quarter moon at night, but that's just because I've done best at those times.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 385 Deckhand
    Light tackle is subject to a lot of interpretation!  During the Grover spawn I like to use 20 ish pound leaders.  Judge from there!

they have a big tail and dig hard.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 388 Deckhand
    Night time. You can use as big line as you want. They eat anything. Big hooks makes dehooking and and back to fishing a lot easier. During the day time like in those pictures, 12lb pink Andes is my go to. NO BRAID. They won’t bite. Went out least week and my buddy didn’t believe me. He used braid and caught 1 fish, his wife used mono and caught the rest. Some days they prefer a jig head, some days they prefer just a bare hook. This is what works for me. Everyone has their way. 
  • bartherndonbartherndon Tallahassee, Florida Posts: 6 Deckhand
    edited July 10 #11
    Hey guys thanks a lot we have been planning a trip to for a year and came down all the way from the big bend, are staying between Islamorada and marathon, and really appreciate the help!