Home General Hunting

Has anybody hunted West Virginia?

HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 91 Deckhand
My buddy just bought a 200 acre farm in West Virginia. I was wondering in any of y’all have ever hunted up there? Just how much bigger are the deer and what not. Just curious. Any info or experiences from West Virginia?

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,954 Captain
    West Virginia deer are generally thought of as smaller than deer in surrounding states because the forage in West Virginia is poorer. They should be bigger than most Florida deer, and I’m sure somebody will be upset by this post and show some monsters, but they aren’t corn fed deer from surrounding states. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,094 Captain
    Friends...
    A West Virginia sunrise on friend’s land...
    Big bucks abound. 
    Locals poaching in the moonlight....
    Take me home, country roads...

My best FloridaOD 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Deer herd is pretty decent up there, just a lot of inbreeding going on! Here is a decent one we got on trail camera .
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,492 Officer
    One of my cousins West Virginia mounts...
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 514 Officer
    edited June 30 #6
    Shot this one in Spencer, WV at sundown on Thanksgiving eve 2019. What area of WV?

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,954 Captain
    Friends...
    Big bucks abound. 

My best FloridaOD 

I understood every word, fail. 
    H20dad said:
    Friends...
    Big bucks abound. 

My best FloridaOD 

I understood every word, fail. 
    Quite accurate too
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 828 Officer
    Ya poaching is really bad and those boys will kill ya if you try to protect/restrict their hunting your land. Bad news. I've hunted the VA/WVA border for 30 years- George Washington Forest. The bear hunters are real bad...don't shoot anything in front of dogs. Madison county area is REALLY bad. Best to make some LEO contacts and befriend them. You are gonna need some help. Good deer if you can protect em.

hope your buddy did his research about hunt clubs and locals at the local police station before he bought.....
  • HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Shot this one in Spencer, WV at sundown on Thanksgiving eve 2019. What area of WV?

It’s near flat top, or camp creek. The farm has been owned by the same family for over 90 years. It’s backed by a 15,000 acre tract of land who according to the land owner, is just used for cattle. And boarded by larger farms, so I was hoping the poaching wouldn’t be a huge problem lol but it sounds like I’ll be wrong. 
    Poaching is a problem up there but it can be navigated. Have buddy put up some cameras and see if folks are using his land to start with.

There are a lot of deer up in WV. I found that they tend to use the top two ridges of the hollers to travel along and will bed down typically one ridge below the top. Allows for them to look down the hollers for approaching predators and have the wind coming down over their backs to scent anything approaching from above.

This guy came off a 300 acre tract that backs up to another family member's 300 tract so I'd say yall will have plenty of opportunities. Find where they are traveling to and from and sit that travel route.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 828 Officer

It’s near flat top, or camp creek. The farm has been owned by the same family for over 90 years. It’s backed by a 15,000 acre tract of land who according to the land owner, is just used for cattle. And boarded by larger farms, so I was hoping the poaching wouldn’t be a huge problem lol but it sounds like I’ll be wrong. 

Just wondering..did the seller retain any "easement" rights for family and FRIENDS. Hope you read the small print. 90 years under one family...they made allot of friends...
    ^^This and they may have sold off natural gas rights. If that's the case you could find all sorts of folk on the land at random times who work for various contractors.
  • HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 91 Deckhand
    GRIZZL said:

Just wondering..did the seller retain any "easement" rights for family and FRIENDS. Hope you read the small print. 90 years under one family...they made allot of friends...
    No sir. One road in to the property and one road out. All the mineral rights are owned by my friend too. There’s no excuse for anyone to be on the property, but that probably won’t stop someone lol. 
    Get some cameras up and find out what all is coming and going. Humans, Deer, Turkey, etc.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Drove through there several times on my way to hunt SW PA  many years ago. I would always see the most dead and live deer on the side of the road in the NW corner of WV on my way up into SW PA. 
    edited July 1 #17
    Roane up through Wetzel counties. Driving at night was white knuckle and eyes glued to the road.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 929 Officer
    Go have at it. There are no absolutes. You’re buddy may have a honey hole...or not. You won’t know, till you get out there. Keep us posted. 
  • mobenmoben Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Hunted Camp Creek state forest and Bluestone WMA in college in the late sixties. I was just starting to bowhunt and missed a few. Seemed to be quite a few in the New River bottoms where the state planted corn. Lots of poaching even then
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,094 Captain
    I have a buddy from up there that said the locals like to mount a 10 foot board hanging off the passenger side of their trucks to whack deer in the ditches at night. And then they go make love to their sisters. No joke. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • turkeymanturkeyman Fort whitePosts: 90 Deckhand
    I have a buddy from up there that said the locals like to mount a 10 foot board hanging off the passenger side of their trucks to whack deer in the ditches at night. And then they go make love to their sisters. No joke
  • turkeymanturkeyman Fort whitePosts: 90 Deckhand
    I have hunted wv twice, wmas both times.  4 of us made the drive and we killed several bucks.  Most were 2 1/2 yr olds according to the dnr and they weighed between 130 to 145 lbs. My buddy died and I never went back.  If I remember right we started in a little town called Franklin.  Beautiful place and a lot of deer. 

don't comment about all the trash you see in the rivers and creeks.  You just might be in a fight haha.  They don't like fl boys killing the deer up there either.