Home General Hunting

St.Johns County Alligator Tags

aces_0331aces_0331 Southern IndianaPosts: 8 Deckhand
So i have posted this in the NorthEast forum...no bites. Thought i would post it here. 

Im as green as grass, but eager to learn. Im looking for anyone that might be able to shed some light on St. Johns County gator hunting. I am a non-resident, im completely ignorant to alligator hunting. My knowledge of the sport it solely based in what i have retained from youtube videos and reading forums and asking questions. Pm me or add the the thread. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,954 Captain
    Heard a lot of bad things about those tags. I live on the other end of the state so I don’t know from experience. Shame to eat tag soup at nonresident prices. 
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 97 Deckhand
    St. Johns County tags are tough. This is not saying it cant be done, but its certainly not easy. There is a reason why they are always available. 
  • aces_0331aces_0331 Southern IndianaPosts: 8 Deckhand
    What makes it so much harder than other places throughout the state? Pressure? Lack of numbers? 
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 97 Deckhand
    In my opinion. Too many people, too many docks, too developed. Not enough natural shoreline (marsh, swamps, etc) for resting and other activities. In general, gator numbers in the northeast are depressed when compared to other areas of the state. Harvest data shows that St. Johns County are some of the toughest tags in the state. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,742 Admiral
    aces_0331 said:
    What makes it so much harder than other places throughout the state? Pressure? Lack of numbers? 
    As I type this I am looking out on the St. Johns River in St. Johns County.........and.......I refuse to pay money for tags in my own back yard because I know what is out there. Not saying that you migntn't come up with a lucky catch but I'd bet more on a dink or nothing. 

Numbers & skittishness are most of the problem.......

Needs to be shut down for 3-5 years just to let it get back into some sort reasonable situation. For about 20 years we'd pull tags here as a backup and end up with some decent ones.....last 8 years or so it's a bust and unless one of my friends begs I won't even go.

this is encouraging...i read an article from 2018, said that the success rate in St. johns County was @ 28%. would a person be better off trying to locate private ground? or run the public ground? St. johns river or guana/ intercoastal?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,742 Admiral
    aces_0331 said:
    this is encouraging...i read an article from 2018, said that the success rate in St. johns County was @ 28%. would a person be better off trying to locate private ground? or run the public ground? St. johns river or guana/ intercoastal?
    Guana has it's own set of tags so that is not a option. If you've the patience for bait and can scout out a gator before the hunt then it may be possible to go way up into one of the feeder creeks ( Trout, Six Mile, Julington Durban ) and catch one that way. 

And....IF......your tags are for the first week.......and you are fast of the line there is the possibility of that working. If you're week 4.......not very encouraging.

Of course you'll be here during the peak of the shrimp run ( unless we have a tropical event that screws that up ) so you can chase gators and then to pull the trip out go shrimping. And too.......September & October can be SPECTACULAR for fishing in the river for all manner of fish, saltwater and fresh. Potential to catch dozens in a morning.

And........the mosquitoes will be glad to see you.
    Thanks for the advise. Will know by the second week of july which phase we are drawn for. We are bringing as many different options for targeting these gators as possible, bait and pegs, crossbow, snatch hook and casting hook. 

The harvest reports are showing alot of gators taken around colee cove and tocoi creek. Those  looks like a heavily human populated areas. So, that doesnt make a lot of sense. 
    aces_0331 said:
    Thanks for the advise. Will know by the second week of july which phase we are drawn for. We are bringing as many different options for targeting these gators as possible, bait and pegs, crossbow, snatch hook and casting hook. 

The harvest reports are showing alot of gators taken around colee cove and tocoi creek. Those  looks like a heavily human populated areas. So, that doesnt make a lot of sense. 
    You should have the opening date listed on your gooutdoorsflorida account. 
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,212 Moderator
    aces_0331 said:

I'm not familiar with the waters over there, and this just a theory of mine, but in high pressure / limited prime spots... folks might log bogus data when they do their reporting in an effort to send internet researchers the wrong direction. 
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    aces_0331 said:

I'm not familiar with the waters over there, and this just a theory of mine, but in high pressure / limited prime spots... folks might log bogus data when they do their reporting in an effort to send internet researchers the wrong direction. 
    Anybody who doesn’t do that is a fool. Screw the fwc and their desire to promote internet scouting. 
    internet scouting, i dont feel is stupid. that would be the same thing as the military not looking at satellite imagery or talking to an informant, before sending in troops. Sorry, if you dont agree, but im 850 miles away, its not exactly feasible to scout for weeks ahead of time. yes i do plan on gathering as much data as possible prior to the trip coming down 3 days ahead of time and scouting as many areas as accessible. I will put in as much leg work as my funds and time off will allow. Many DIY hunters do the same thing on public hunts out west or anywhere for that matter. sorry if i ruffled your feathers. 
    aces_0331 said:
    internet scouting, i dont feel is stupid. that would be the same thing as the military not looking at satellite imagery or talking to an informant, before sending in troops. Sorry, if you dont agree, but im 850 miles away, its not exactly feasible to scout for weeks ahead of time. yes i do plan on gathering as much data as possible prior to the trip coming down 3 days ahead of time and scouting as many areas as accessible. I will put in as much leg work as my funds and time off will allow. Many DIY hunters do the same thing on public hunts out west or anywhere for that matter. sorry if i ruffled your feathers. 
    I’ve literally had fwc biologists ask me exactly where on a photo of the property I harvested an animal. Guys can also try to track what areas they haven’t hunted have good numbers of game. Screw that, do the leg work. 

Or hire a guide. 

Or as I do swap hunts. I can put you on a 10’+ gator what’s it worth to you in a hunt. I want to kill an elk. 
    I dont have elk in Indiana, I competition **** hunting, raise walkers **** dogs, trap during the fall/ winter and turkey hunt in the spring. i can guide u in northern kentucky and kill an 2 eastern turkeys or guide u in indiana and kill 1 eastern turkey. that all i do. i used to deer hunt, killed a 172 and kinda lost interest in it. I have a 5 year old boy that is way to loud to be deer hunting, so we run the trapline and **** hunt (for the time being) if a spring turkey hunt interests u. look up www.oldoakoutfiters.com.  i guide for this outfitter
    i guess the **** is a racial term... raccoon is what the **** mean
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 444 Deckhand
    Listen to bswiv. He’s an alligator whisperer. The others, not so much, although they are probably correct on the misinformation, unfortunately. 

Used to do a lot of what you and your boy do  Good memories. 

Best of luck to you on your gator hunt. 
    aces_0331 said:
    You read me the wrong way.   I'm just saying take that data with a grain of salt
    Listen to bswiv. He’s an alligator whisperer. The others, not so much, although they are probably correct on the misinformation, unfortunately. 

Used to do a lot of what you and your boy do  Good memories. 

Best of luck to you on your gator hunt. 
    This here is Gospel.  The man could find a 11 footer inbin his bathtub.   He's also a humble and generous fellow.   If you get a private message I would listen
    H20dad said:
    aces_0331 said:
    I’ve literally had fwc biologists ask me exactly where on a photo of the property I harvested an animal. Guys can also try to track what areas they haven’t hunted have good numbers of game. Screw that, do the leg work. 

Or hire a guide. 

Or as I do swap hunts. I can put you on a 10’+ gator what’s it worth to you in a hunt. I want to kill an elk. 
    Or just take the man, see what happens.    Maybe he reciprocates, maybe he doesn't.
    Op...   Check your inbox
    H20dad said:
    aces_0331 said:

Or hire a guide. 

Or just take the man, see what happens.    Maybe he reciprocates, maybe he doesn't.
    I’m 5-6 hours south of that unit. 

Since we have 10 tags down here he might get an invite but like everything else with this year we need to wait and see.