Home Conservation Forums

Hello FWC, anyone out there?

OK, so a local fish dealer gets a 4000 lb load of pompano from a local commercial fisherman. Interesting right?

250 fish trip limit, and how the heck to you catch 2000 pompano unless its a gill net?

So a report is made to FWC,(waste of time) and the tipster is told it is not worth investigating.

Hello, FWC anyone home????

Its the WPB/Stuart office. No help any time you call, and if you call they flub the case and most of the time tell the perp who turned them in.

Kind of like the story a few weeks ago when the same tipster called in a gill net being hauled off Stuart and got the same response from the same FWC office.

Looks to me like FWC is supporting the illegal commercial fishery North of the Palm Beaches, so if you want to **** the resources without a license or want to ignore the law, this is the place to do it.

Fishery enforcement in the SE coast of Florida is a frigging joke, from NOAA Enforcement to FWC.

Don't believe me?? Do a craigs list search for swordfish for sale and you will find illegal dealers/fisherman selling right there in full view of NOAA enforcement. However this impotent joke of a law enforcement agency is only shadowed by our own FWC.

Next time they pull me over I will be turning my back to them and removing my pants!!!

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    lol. Its a lax area. I barely ever see them.
    Post more details.Your post looks like a rant more than any post concerning an actual incident. Post facts about who is selling to whom and what officer took the report and said it was not worth it. Every officer has a superior officer overseeing them.You will not ever get any thing accomplished unless you document everything.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Oh, you are right, it is a rant. However, you have to be careful how you post specifics to protect the identity of the tipster. I have a meeting with an FWC commissioner. That should get the ball rolling. with respect to NOAA Enforcement, I have brought specifics to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale office and the officers there know the story and my name. I have met with the deputy director of Law Enforcement for NOAA during my HMS and ICCAT meetings. Promised help, no results yet.

I will continue to push hard behind the scenes until I see change in the way we monitor our fishery laws in South Florida!
  • Oh, Let me add one more comment. I gave confidential information to NOAA and FWC on a swordfish violation and was rewarded with a cease and desist order from the violators lawyer! So much for confidential informants! That violator has 10 fish and buoy gear on his boat when boarded and was let go with no reasonable explaination from NOAA or FWC. Quite simply they blew it and keep blowing it every time anyone tries to help with information.

Really, advertising illegal swordfish steaks on craigs list and they can't put a case together????? Come on NOAA/FWC get your house in order!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,376 Admiral
    OK, so a local fish dealer gets a 4000 lb load of pompano from a local commercial fisherman. Interesting right?

250 fish trip limit, and how the heck to you catch 2000 pompano unless its a gill net?

So a report is made to FWC,(waste of time) and the tipster is told it is not worth investigating.

Its the WPB/Stuart office. No help any time you call, and if you call they flub the case and most of the time tell the perp who turned them in.

Kind of like the story a few weeks ago when the same tipster called in a gill net being hauled off Stuart and got the same response from the same FWC office.

Looks to me like FWC is supporting the illegal commercial fishery North of the Palm Beaches, so if you want to **** the resources without a license or want to ignore the law, this is the place to do it.

Fishery enforcement in the SE coast of Florida is a frigging joke, from NOAA Enforcement to FWC.

Don't believe me?? Do a craigs list search for swordfish for sale and you will find illegal dealers/fisherman selling right there in full view of NOAA enforcement. However this impotent joke of a law enforcement agency is only shadowed by our own FWC.

Next time they pull me over I will be turning my back to them and removing my pants!!!

They're all up here in the Panhandle making sure we don't over fish the ever elusive almost extinct Red Snapper. We were getting stopped two and three times a day during the season.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

All due respect Ron. It can be frustrating when results are not seen.If you post details about incidents that are verifiable then we can write letters to the higher powers. Any thing else is dust in the wind. You have to help us help you.You just can't write anything on the internet and expect to get help.People have agendas and write for a reason. Take some pictures and document these people doing this and post them. I guarantee if the picture shows the FL numbers that FWC will look into it.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,314 Captain
    Commercial fishermen don't **** the ocean when they go over their limits and use illegal equipment...They **** the ocean when they harvest more fish than you or I can. The only difference..they have the government's permission to pillage. Why can't I? I wanna pillage. I wanna be able to put out more crab traps..I wanna keep 20 pompano..but for some reason MY government only allows the real scum to **** the ocean...legally. So does that make it right?
    I can only wonder how many more individual fisherman there would be if the only fish taken were taken through sporting endeavors?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Commercial fishermen don't **** the ocean when they go over their limits and use illegal equipment...They **** the ocean when they harvest more fish than you or I can. The only difference..they have the government's permission to pillage. Why can't I? I wanna pillage. I wanna be able to put out more crab traps..I wanna keep 20 pompano..but for some reason MY government only allows the real scum to **** the ocean...legally. So does that make it right?
    I can only wonder how many more individual fisherman there would be if the only fish taken were taken through sporting endeavors?
    Always got to call names don't ya... I bet you're pretty quiet face to face Frisbea.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • sandfleasandflea Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Spineyman wrote: »
    They're all up here in the Panhandle making sure we don't over fish the ever elusive almost extinct Red Snapper. We were getting stopped two and three times a day during the season.

Agreed, Have been stopped twice in same day by FWC dude that was rude, thinks he has big muscles, and is obviously the token nerd of the force.
    Everybody needs somebody at some time, he will have a hard time finding that somebody................And I love the way they throw a wake in the no-wake zones!! Destin Harbor it is a dead end. Doesn't take much to figure that out.......
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG

Maybe he trailered to the pompano endorsment zone off of SW Fl and legally caught them there. Some of the fishermen here in Crystal River do it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Anything Ron posts has no need for verification. If Ron is posting something on here, its a problem and he has his reasons for not releasing anymore information. And with all do respect, you seem a little skittish, lets hope you're not involved.

Lets hope you are not involved changing the subject like this. Ron is suppose to be a trusted source because you said so? Lets not accuse anyone of anything from a keyboard.I have to see it and feel it for it to be true unless I know you.There are so many gutless people behind typewriters its pathetic.To be honest. I was hoping to bait him into actually posting something relevant. This whole post is just hearsay like yours.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    They are too busy busting people for making a ripple in the manatee zones to be bothered whith this kind of stuff.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Renagade69 wrote: »
    Lets hope you are not involved changing the subject like this. Ron is suppose to be a trusted source because you said so? Lets not accuse anyone of anything from a keyboard.I have to see it and feel it for it to be true unless I know you.There are so many gutless people behind typewriters its pathetic.To be honest. I was hoping to bait him into actually posting something relevant. This whole post is just hearsay like yours.

When Ron Coddington tells me something, I can take it to the bank.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Paul BarnardPaul Barnard Posts: 136 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »

I hope you aren't in enforcement with an attitude like that. An informant is a gold mine to an LEO. You can run around making random checks all day or you can act on intelligence. Take your pick.
  • Paul BarnardPaul Barnard Posts: 136 Officer

Ron, I am not familiar with the laws in your area. How is selling swordfish illegal?

It's unfortunate that they don't seem to be taking you seriously.
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 236 Deckhand
    We scum feed our families with money generated from "harvest" of resources. Find something productive to do with your time. Most people that buy and eat pompano have zero desire to catch one themselves. They are into things like golf, and jogging, or shopping, or spending time with friends and family. Maybe you guys should try these things. Society needs us scummy commercial fishermen whether you like it or not!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    Yea I guess we need bank robbers too so the police have something to do too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I tried to find these ads on CraigsList, but I could not find even one. Do you have a link?
    23895.gif
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    surfman wrote: »
    They are too busy busting people for making a ripple in the manatee zones to be bothered whith this kind of stuff.

And they never ticket the manatees for not staying in their zones !!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    catfishin wrote: »
    And they never ticket the manatees for not staying in their zones !!!!

They need to put the signs under water. Manatees cannot see in air!
    23895.gif
    I hope you aren't in enforcement with an attitude like that. An informant is a gold mine to an LEO. You can run around making random checks all day or you can act on intelligence. Take your pick.
    I am in construction.I do not like commercial fishing abuse.I due believe in due process.One mans word against another means nothing. Get some evidence and not post hearsay when you demand help.I don't care who says his word is gold. You can't convict these white boot bandits with words. I have my camera on my boat every time I go out. If I see a violation I will get a picture and hopefully with boat numbers.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    A 20 second search found this. I'm curious, did you even look?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bfs/2744044127.html

what's illegal about that ad? not trying to be a smart a$$
  • Monkee DoMonkee Do Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Ron - I agree with you 100%!! Where I have been fishing there's a LARGE # of Bull Reds running and there's alot of people catching #'s of them and taking them home. For the area there is 3 FWC Officers and when I called about a violation they were there within 30-45 minutes but by that time it was too late the offender had left and I couldn't get a tag #.

The people your raising hell about is the reason why we have so strict laws now! Catch what you can Legally keep and release the ones that you can't!! Why can't people obey these laws and realize if they continue to fish like this their kids and or grand-kids wont have any fish to catch when they go fishing!
    :fishing I Believe in CPR ( Catch Picture Release )
  • Monkee Do wrote: »
    Ron - I agree with you 100%!! Where I have been fishing there's a LARGE # of Bull Reds running and there's alot of people catching #'s of them and taking them home. For the area there is 3 FWC Officers and when I called about a violation they were there within 30-45 minutes but by that time it was too late the offender had left and I couldn't get a tag #.

The people your raising hell about is the reason why we have so strict laws now! Catch what you can Legally keep and release the ones that you can't!! Why can't people obey these laws and realize if they continue to fish like this their kids and or grand-kids wont have any fish to catch when they go fishing!

I had to respond to your post. Conservation is without question neccessary. However, Jan 1st 2012 we will not be able to keep a red snapper, grouper, sea bass and b-liner. NOT ONE. As a captain I cant chance taking one but I dont care if the average weekend warrior does. The state is going to tax/license all fisherman and then tell them they must let almost all edible fish go? The liberal tree huggars have gone to far and when that occurs, people, who have obeyed sensible laws in the past are going to become criminals. And, our grand children are still going to have fish to catch and eat. The 2 fish red snapper limit worked and most of us supported the reg. The limits on grouper have worked and again most of us supported the reg. Sea bass are a everywhere and most of us supported the 5 fish reg. Bliners are healthy all over NE Florida and we supported that reg too. Now all are off limits and that is BS.
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    They need to put the signs under water. Manatees cannot see in air!

I think we're on to something here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deep intentionsdeep intentions Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Huntress that is so true
  • craw_daddycraw_daddy Posts: 224 Deckhand
    I had to respond to your post. Conservation is without question neccessary. However, Jan 1st 2012 we will not be able to keep a red snapper, grouper, sea bass and b-liner. NOT ONE. As a captain I cant chance taking one but I dont care if the average weekend warrior does. The state is going to tax/license all fisherman and then tell them they must let almost all edible fish go? The liberal tree huggars have gone to far and when that occurs, people, who have obeyed sensible laws in the past are going to become criminals. And, our grand children are still going to have fish to catch and eat. The 2 fish red snapper limit worked and most of us supported the reg. The limits on grouper have worked and again most of us supported the reg. Sea bass are a everywhere and most of us supported the 5 fish reg. Bliners are healthy all over NE Florida and we supported that reg too. Now all are off limits and that is BS.

Well said & I couldn't agree more! -how pathetic the new regs for those species are (depressing)..
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    3 days after the season the fish are history.

far from true
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,300 AG
    far from true

X2
    If you fish the areas the drift boats pound everyday, sometimes they dry up a little but you can always go a little deeper. The 5 b-liners per person Atlantic is enough of a rule. No need for closures IMO.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway