Home Egret Boats

Can you tell me about my boat...

stricklcstricklc Posts: 30 Deckhand
1995 Egret 189...I'm just a little confused about where it was built...I see you guys talking about Miami...Dania am I missing another pre Frank era Egret? and what about the builders? Consolidated? who were they was there anyone else besides Gardiner and his partner and Consolidated? I've tried to find a time line but could not....were any older years better then others? Inquiring minds want to know...

strick

Replies

• stricklcstricklc Posts: 30 Deckhand
    What happened to everyone? I realize that I'm late to the party as usual lol...I've read through almost every post on this forum to learn as much as I can...I realize that a lot of you have moved on to different brands....anyone ? 

strick
  • 18Egret18Egret Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    edited July 3 #3
    It's a pretty cool story with a sad ending when the guys with ties took over.... It took 29 molds to build you 18 Egret. Your boat was built in Dania in the Derecktor Yard. Where Jim Gardner had a shop called Consolidated Yachts.

A avid fisherman and marine parts rep, Scott. Scott got tired of getting wet, having a boat that wasn't self bailing, and little storage. So he decided to build the Best Flats boat regardless of price. Scott knew Jim and they formed Egret boat Company. Jim Built the boats and Scott sold them.  The 18 was a success and the customers were asking for a 16. They built the 16 and and a hull for a 29.  They sold Egret Boat Company and were hired to help run Revenge Marine. That's when he company was moved to Miami.  Revenge marine had also purchased the Blackfin molds.  This is  time frame when Frank the current owner of Egret Boat company purchased and 18 Egret.

During these early days in Miami things looked very promising. Egret Boats built 3 wooden prototype technical poling skiffs. We had many conversations of building  a technical poling skiff, bayboat and a small sportfish yacht.

Revenge Marine .....Killed the Bird to feed the fish!

When the music stopped, Frank purchased Egret Boat company. He moved the company to North Carolina  and built a state of the art boat building facility. But most important, he brought the Bird back to life! ....Pete, aka Saltwater Junkie.        
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 217 Deckhand
    I have a 1997 that was built up in Dania before the move to Miami. I bought it through Egret as it was being brokered at the time by them. Jim always made sure everyone was happy and Frank the new owner has perpetuated that feeling. What's interesting is with all of the detractors out there telling you the issues of the boat it's hard to find a used one since most of the time they get passed on to friend and relatives. They are a great all around boat and Frank, in many cases can help you update the boat. As an example a couple of years ago I rewired my boat and I was able to purchase a complete harness from Frank with all of the modern updates to the wiring. Dania Florida is just north of Miami and south of Ft Lauderdale
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Thanks Pete for rescuing me!....I was hoping you would show up at and help...so then my 95 was built by Jim and Scott and you? which is all I really needed to know. I've read some stuff on Scotts travels with his trawler around the globe and makes me feel like I have no life lol...I'm just a guy in N. California with a really cool boat that is 25 years old and still in great condition aside from a few chips and spider cracks (which I will fix) . The stainless steel hinges are still in great shape with little or no rust...I've replaced all the original hatch catches and the two that are for the rod lockers...re doing the wiring and one live well...I think this boat was called a kevlar guide edition? it has three live wells although I will only need one. I'm thinking the guy that sold it to me said it was a kevlar guide edition but the underside of the hatches appear just finished gelcoat...I dont know how to tell if there is any kevlar in the boat...the little bilge access hatch underside looks different then straight fiberglass which makes me wonder...I've re cored that to make it flat and strong again so I get a good seal so water wont leak into the bilge....I've restored 4-5 seacrafts so I can do some stuff myself....the boat came with a 90 merc 4 stroke and I sold that and hung a new 150 merc 4 stroke..after looking at Egret Landings posts and videos on that motor...I know you have a 140 suzuki on yours and they are great motors as I have one on my 20 seacraft. I've been looking since 2014 for an egret and I never thought one would turn up on the west coast...I'm very excited as you can tell wishing you all the best!

Chuck
    Last-Cast said:
    I have a 1997 that was built up in Dania before the move to Miami. I bought it through Egret as it was being brokered at the time by them. Jim always made sure everyone was happy and Frank the new owner has perpetuated that feeling. What's interesting is with all of the detractors out there telling you the issues of the boat it's hard to find a used one since most of the time they get passed on to friend and relatives. They are a great all around boat and Frank, in many cases can help you update the boat. As an example a couple of years ago I rewired my boat and I was able to purchase a complete harness from Frank with all of the modern updates to the wiring. Dania Florida is just north of Miami and south of Ft Lauderdale
    Thanks for your input Last cast...I have also reached out to Frank...he sent me a new harness and drip plate and switch panel...he also included a quart of gelcoat (at no charge) so I could touch up my boat...He really does not have to help people with these older boats that he did not build but he does and that says a lot about the guy. If I had endless money I would just have ordered a new boat from him and to tell you the truth if I lived on the east coast I probably would have bought a new one anyways...I'd really like to see his factory some day. These boats were ahead of their time...and have stood the test of time...at least mine has..

chuck
    Hi Chuck, welcome to the family.  Yes, I worked with Scott and Jim. I learned a lot from both of them. I did sales, quality assurance and delivery. If the under side of your hatches are "white" . Your boat is a glass boat, 900 lbs.  I consider them and Frank a very good friends. Lets not forget Vivian. Vivian and Frank are 1st. class! I can tell you that if you ever get a chance to visit the factory. Ask him to show you the the 3rd. wooden prototype....After you checkout the boat, lay on the ground and look up at the bottom. Analyze what the water flow.  

The 1st. wooden prototype ended up in a little race back to the boat ramp with 16' SilverKing with a 90 yamaha. When the guy found out that he gotten his clock cleaned by a little wooden boat with a 25hp. tiller. He said he would never believed it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes!   

I think I talked to Vivian on the phone...very nice..some day a trip to the factory. Here is a couple links with some interesting reading if you are new to Egret like I am.

https://archive.nordhavn.com/egret/captains_log_nov10.php

http://www.compmillennia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Hot-Shop.pdf

strick

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,233 Officer
    Pete, What happened to your old account?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    edited July 8 #10
    Pete, What happened to your old account?
    Hi Frank, Congrats on the sale of the boat. Are you going to replace it? If so, with what?

It got locked out, and I can't get it unlocked because I no longer have that email address. Part of what make the FS forum so great!