Home General Hunting

What are your hunting superstitions?

DragoneishaDragoneisha Atlantic BeachPosts: 5 Greenhorn
Lucky boots, praying before going out, first one to bite a pellet has to spit in the fire, etc. What superstitions, if any, do you and your gang adhere to? Where'd it come from?

Replies

• km_hunts-06km_hunts-06 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    If the cows are feeding the deer are feeding. 
    If I see a raccoon from the stand I’m gunna see deer.
    If I see a bobcat I’m gonna kill A buck it’s happened many of times .
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,954 Captain
    Don’t hunt with people born in Florida they will go on social media and burn the spot....
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,104 Captain
    None that I would recognize as a superstition. Nothing supernatural. I don’t consider praying before or while hunting superstition nor to I correlate praying with success. 

I can’t say what I hold to be likely true with what another would consider superstition. I am convinced I can beat their noses and what I undergo to do that might look like a superstition. I also believe I can “feel” when they are moving. But the feeling is based on cues that I‘m picking up with my 5 senses that relate to environmental conditions. Mostly having to do with changes in the barometer. How still the breeze is, the sky conditions, the color of the rays of sunlight. All thing I can pick up on individually that correspond to when the rustling of the woods starts and most of which can be measured with instruments to confirm what I “feel.” 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 929 Officer
    I have a lucky hat for deer (Camo boonie) and had one for turkey. It’s missing :'(
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,171 Officer
    Last year eating a hard boiled egg and drinking a bottle of water resulted in my shooting a pig and two bucks. I will be bringing eggs and water again this year and see if it works again 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 929 Officer
    I’m not superstitious, but was it a brown egg or white egg and do you remember the brand of water?
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,094 Captain
    edited June 30 #8
    I am not superstitious, I am not superstitious, I am not superstitious 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 909 Officer
    If the cows are feeding the deer are feeding. 
    If I see a raccoon from the stand I’m gunna see deer.
    If I see a bobcat I’m gonna kill A buck it’s happened many of times .
    I so wish this was the case for everyone. Cant tell you how many times I've seen a bobcat sitting in the stand down here and have yet to even see antlers let alone shot one. Did anyone know a bobcat will do about the same thing a domestic cat does when they go to bathroom in a litter box? I've watched them dig and paw many times just to crap in it and then cover it up with the ground they stirred up. Then turn around and smell it before they leave. Weirdos 😁
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 539 Officer
    If I eat tacos and burritos the night b4, I never see anything! :)
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 178 Deckhand
    edited June 30 #11
    I only go if I think I'm gonna kill.  If not, then will do something else.

That and will put Evercalm on my hunting boots, have seen bucks sniffing the ground where I've walked wo spooking. 
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,212 Moderator
    If owls are talking, deer are walking!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,171 Officer
    swampdog said:
    I’m not superstitious, but was it a brown egg or white egg and do you remember the brand of water?
    White egg and tap water for those of you who aren't superstitious.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,954 Captain
    If owls are talking, deer are walking!
    That’s just me hunting turkeys out of season, sorry. 
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Not so much a superstition but a general practice, I never stop for gas on my way to the woods. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,382 AG
    none
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,727 Captain
    Sit on stand long enough until the pine tree trunks begin to reveal faces, the one that winks and looks up is clear message to keep sitting.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,492 Officer
    FloridaOD said:
    Sit on stand long enough until the pine tree trunks begin to reveal faces, the one that winks and looks up is clear message to keep sitting.
    My suspicions are confirmed now...
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 495 Deckhand
      triple check i got a can of dip before i leave the truck      i can forget my binos or thermacell but forget a can and hunts over    zero chance of seeing anything
  • Grove1Grove1 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    "I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious"
    - Michael Scott
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,727 Captain
    edited July 5 #21
    Leaving camp, headed to stand with a lot of farting is good omen, and reminder to remain superstitious about wind direction, “ zephyrs “.
    Always announce to fellow hunters; “ May the wind on your back/ face be your own”

Sharpening Dad’s hunt knife the first day of season not simply “ Superstitious “.
    Superstition morphs to Tradition and Reality. 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink