Home Off Topic

Fishing Regulations

SystemSystem Posts: 619 Deckhand
This discussion was created from comments split from: I'm done.
«13

Replies

  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    tough, after what your Dad did to us fishermen with the net ban well, karma's a b i tch ain't it?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,660 Admiral
    edited June 28 #3
    After what your dad did for us fisherman if you start a Go fund me page I'll not only send you $$$ but will share it on Social media
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    After what your dad did for us fisherman if you start a Go fund me page I'll not only send you $$$ but will share it on Social media
    so you swing that way?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,660 Admiral
    Yes I would send Eric $$ if it helped save his bar as a thank you for what his family did to stop the wholesale decimation to our fisheries.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    and yet the wholesale decimation continues at the hands of the recreational sector.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,445 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    and yet the wholesale decimation continues at the hands of the recreational sector.
    How so?


    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • tagtag Posts: 8,877 Admiral
    The netters, in a few short years, wiped out the fishery in the St John’s river. You couldn’t even catch croakers anymore. Had to give up fishing the river. The net ban allowed the fish to recover and made the fish available to the people not just the few. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,320 Moderator
    Y'all try to stay on topic. 
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

    RJG

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,185 AG
    Been fishing since I was around 6 years old and the net ban never affected me at all. I also never decimated the fishing either, I ain't that good.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,185 AG
    I meant the ban did not affect me in a negative way. I know there was many benefits to the net ban. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,870 Captain
    It didn’t affect any of us recs in a bad way. And I don’t give a dang how it affected commercials. All it would have taken was reasonable sizes on mesh and net size, plus stopping poaching and blatant disregard for fishery regulations, and they would still be fishing. They made their bed, now they can continue to lie in it. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,611 Admiral
    I saw the Kingfish off Broward go from Black Clouds in the water to Nothing...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,308 Captain
    edited June 28 #15
    Heavy handed domestic regulations and cheap foreign fish eventually ran me out of the US swordfish fishery... but not before I went overseas to exploit the market and fill my pockets with cash. I even used cheap local labor when I could, not at all unlike a true American capitalist pig. ;) I simply had to turn my lemons into a delicious lemonade while there was opportunity. The entire elixer was even sweeter than expected because I was afforded a wonderful opportunity to travel the globe free of charge, mingle with a large variety of people from various cultures, and catch a lot of BIG fish in a number of countries. 

    If you want to see true exploitation of a resource like seafood, go look elsewhere.  You would be surprised what you will find in some of the more "saintly" countries.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    see this is where you are dumb as a box of rocks.

    Gill nets are very size specific, 3" net will catch a 1-1.25 lb mullet, 3.5" net a larger one, 4" larger etc all the wgile allowing the smaller fish to pass thru.
    Ever see a tennis ball hit a tennis net? 
    Throw a golf ball at that same net and see what happens, your claim of bycatch is just bs.

    Never was illegal to stop off a creek in Florida, you got that confused with N.C..

    Btw, what's up with all the new regs for reds and trout, it ain't commercials fault you resource rapers you.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 241 Deckhand
    I totally agree with the net ban in the 80’s my Dad and I left to go fishing about 5:30 am heading from Old Mill Cove into the St Johns river in Jacksonville we are passing through a Small inlet called Fulton’s Cut cannot be more than 100 foot wide with the jetty.  On a full plane at near sunrise on a full plane maybe going 25 mph hit the net.  The jokers put the sane net right across the channel.  There was one bigger boat with 2 aluminum boats.  All I can remember is hitting that net and watching me pull it into the river with the John boats until it made a V.  The engine stalled and all I saw was a net full of red fish and trout my Dad yelling at me to tilt the motor up.  The net rope was tangled around the prop.  Never saw someone take a filet knife out so fast and within a min with the commercial fisherman yelling don’t cut our net Dad had us free from the net and yelled get out of here.

    It was not a pretty sight always thought why would someone do that. I know it was not recreational since there were 3 boats involved.

     I voted for the net ban.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,308 Captain
    edited June 28 #18
    BTW, and on a side note, I have been tangled in miles of high seas mono drift nets that the Taiwanese and Japanese squid boats used to fish with in the Pacific. That was in the middle of nowhere, about 2100 NM, WNW of Honolulu, and once about 600 NM North of Honolulu. That crap might even still be ghost fishing 25-30 years later. I guess if it's out of sight it isn't/didn't happen(ing) and is of no concern?

    And, yes, we did haul some of that sheet back in to the dumpster. As we did with any environmentally incompatible flotsam we encountered. 
  • MikeGonzMikeGonz South BahiaPosts: 148 Deckhand
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    The mackerel you're speaking of, were caught with purse seines, a far different net than the gill nets banned 25 years ago, which were primarily used for mullet. 

    Contrary to your post, as well, gill nets were/are HIGHLY selective about what size fish they catch. 

    The only thing stopped with the "net ban" of 25 years ago, was gill netting of mullet, and most commercial gill netters that wanted to stay in the business legally quckly switched to cast nets. Some gill netting of pompano was also affected, but that fishery was relatively small.

    I can assure you, personally, that "bycatch" from gill netting was minimal to nonexistent, other than a stray catfish. The "net ban" campaign was well financed, and the relatively out-funded and out gunned mullet fishermen had no chance.

    For those of you concerned about bycatch, go shrimping one night with a commercial. Then you can talk.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 8,660 Admiral
    edited June 28 #20
    So no Snook were killed in gill nets
    Texas Parks  Wildlife River Patrol on the Rio Grande River on the
  • MikeGonzMikeGonz South BahiaPosts: 148 Deckhand
    Where was this picture taken? Date? Year? Was net legal? Location? State? 

    Murder, rioting, arson, looting, tearing down statues all illegal. Guess we won't hear you beyatching about any of your buddies committing those crimes, but you could sure find a snook in a net picture fast enough. 

    I will wait for the background on the picture...........
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,387 AG
    Ferris, quick move this to con fron and jump start that section. :)
    And while your there file 13 the mackaw thread.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    Ynotjax said:
    I totally agree with the net ban in the 80’s my Dad and I left to go fishing about 5:30 am heading from Old Mill Cove into the St Johns river in Jacksonville we are passing through a Small inlet called Fulton’s Cut cannot be more than 100 foot wide with the jetty.  On a full plane at near sunrise on a full plane maybe going 25 mph hit the net.  The jokers put the sane net right across the channel.  There was one bigger boat with 2 aluminum boats.  All I can remember is hitting that net and watching me pull it into the river with the John boats until it made a V.  The engine stalled and all I saw was a net full of red fish and trout my Dad yelling at me to tilt the motor up.  The net rope was tangled around the prop.  Never saw someone take a filet knife out so fast and within a min with the commercial fisherman yelling don’t cut our net Dad had us free from the net and yelled get out of here.

    It was not a pretty sight always thought why would someone do that. I know it was not recreational since there were 3 boats involved.

     I voted for the net ban.
    if it was a seine net then nothing would have been gilled off and non target species released unharmed..

    Unlike what y'all do with ARS jerking their eyes out from 100' plus.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    MikeGonz said:
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    The mackerel you're speaking of, were caught with purse seines, a far different net than the gill nets banned 25 years ago, which were primarily used for mullet. 

    Contrary to your post, as well, gill nets were/are HIGHLY selective about what size fish they catch. 

    The only thing stopped with the "net ban" of 25 years ago, was gill netting of mullet, and most commercial gill netters that wanted to stay in the business legally quckly switched to cast nets. Some gill netting of pompano was also affected, but that fishery was relatively small.

    I can assure you, personally, that "bycatch" from gill netting was minimal to nonexistent, other than a stray catfish. The "net ban" campaign was well financed, and the relatively out-funded and out gunned mullet fishermen had no chance.

    For those of you concerned about bycatch, go shrimping one night with a commercial. Then you can talk.
    No Mackerel were caught with purse seines, no purse seines allowed for food fish in Fl.
    Purse seine has purse rings around the lead line and is pursed into a bag, then the fish are either dipped or vacuumed out.
    Mackerel and kings were/are gill off in the mono net sewn between the chaffing gear, rings are on the corkline to tighten net and make fish hit and gill off ( highly selective regarding size)
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    Gill nets dont discriminate they destroy
    I'd bet that was a staged pic from FCA/CCA
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,870 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    see this is where you are dumb as a box of rocks.

    Gill nets are very size specific, 3" net will catch a 1-1.25 lb mullet, 3.5" net a larger one, 4" larger etc all the wgile allowing the smaller fish to pass thru.
    Ever see a tennis ball hit a tennis net? 
    Throw a golf ball at that same net and see what happens, your claim of bycatch is just bs.

    Never was illegal to stop off a creek in Florida, you got that confused with N.C..

    Btw, what's up with all the new regs for reds and trout, it ain't commercials fault you resource rapers you.
    The new regs  are because of environmental issues. But you know that. If net size wasn’t a big deal, why did you fight against any restrictions on it. Do you deny that the kingfish fishery was pretty much ruined by the roller net boats? There’s still plenty of us around who watched it happen. We saw it, Art. You might can bs your way around some folks who didn’t see it first hand know what happened, but I, and a pile of others were there when it happened. You want to catch crabs, I got no issue with that. You want to catch bottom fish with bandit reels, or conventional tackle, I got no issue with that. You want to catch kingfish trolling, have at it. But when you try to wipe out a public resource that belongs to all of us, for the sole reason to line your pockets then I do have issues with it, and I will continue to call it out ever time a commercial guy tries to play innocent and blame rec guys for any fishery being in danger.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,870 Captain
    MikeGonz said:
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    The mackerel you're speaking of, were caught with purse seines, a far different net than the gill nets banned 25 years ago, which were primarily used for mullet. 

    Contrary to your post, as well, gill nets were/are HIGHLY selective about what size fish they catch. 

    The only thing stopped with the "net ban" of 25 years ago, was gill netting of mullet, and most commercial gill netters that wanted to stay in the business legally quckly switched to cast nets. Some gill netting of pompano was also affected, but that fishery was relatively small.

    I can assure you, personally, that "bycatch" from gill netting was minimal to nonexistent, other than a stray catfish. The "net ban" campaign was well financed, and the relatively out-funded and out gunned mullet fishermen had no chance.

    For those of you concerned about bycatch, go shrimping one night with a commercial. Then you can talk.
    MikeGonz said:
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    The mackerel you're speaking of, were caught with purse seines, a far different net than the gill nets banned 25 years ago, which were primarily used for mullet. 

    Contrary to your post, as well, gill nets were/are HIGHLY selective about what size fish they catch. 

    The only thing stopped with the "net ban" of 25 years ago, was gill netting of mullet, and most commercial gill netters that wanted to stay in the business legally quckly switched to cast nets. Some gill netting of pompano was also affected, but that fishery was relatively small.

    I can assure you, personally, that "bycatch" from gill netting was minimal to nonexistent, other than a stray catfish. The "net ban" campaign was well financed, and the relatively out-funded and out gunned mullet fishermen had no chance.

    For those of you concerned about bycatch, go shrimping one night with a commercial. Then you can talk.
    First off, I agree 100% with you on the shrimping by catch. It probably the most destructive form of fishing out there. And no, I don’t eat them. Besides that, it’s bs. I guarantee you the nets I saw hangIng off the rollers on the boats in SE Fl had hundreds of kings in them. And I watched it on many occasions. There’s also plenty of pics floating around out there. Your “personal assurance” doesn’t mean crap. The truth still remains that if y’all hadn’t resisted so hard at any kind of restrictions the net ban probably wouldn’t have even happed. 
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,372 Officer
    What they won't tell you is that most of those kingfish went to the cat food packers. After being pulled out of the net by the tail they were not fit for human food markets because the gills were ripped off and many had big swaths of skin scraped off.  I'm from Ft. Pierce where most of the roller boats operated from.  My family were commercial hook and line fishermen who were put out of business by ANUMBER1's heroes.  My brother and I were fishing south of Ft. Pierce inlet one day when the dreaded plane flew over followed by 2 roller boats. One of them ran the net around the school of kings and our boat and just stopped long enough to tell us "Get the hell out, we're pursing it down!"  The roller boys actually put themselves out of business; not enough fish left to buy fuel to hunt down the last kingfish in the ocean!  Don't believe what they tell you about gill nets being selective either.  The mesh size does in fact determine the size range of fish it will catch but it's just plain stupid to believe the nets are species selective.  They might set a school of mullet but guess what, there are lots of other fish that get gilled off, like trout, snook, redfish, snapper, sheepshead and many others.  Don't feel sorry for these guys; the fish belong to everyone, not just commercial fishermen who can't control themselves enough to stop when stocks get low.  I don't know about other areas but they killed off the roe mullet population in the Indian and Banana rivers in just 2 short years because they couldn't regulate themselves and agree to limits. If it ever comes to a vote again you need to vote NO on net fishing!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    fish_stix said:
    What they won't tell you is that most of those kingfish went to the cat food packers. After being pulled out of the net by the tail they were not fit for human food markets because the gills were ripped off and many had big swaths of skin scraped off.  I'm from Ft. Pierce where most of the roller boats operated from.  My family were commercial hook and line fishermen who were put out of business by ANUMBER1's heroes.  My brother and I were fishing south of Ft. Pierce inlet one day when the dreaded plane flew over followed by 2 roller boats. One of them ran the net around the school of kings and our boat and just stopped long enough to tell us "Get the hell out, we're pursing it down!"  The roller boys actually put themselves out of business; not enough fish left to buy fuel to hunt down the last kingfish in the ocean!  Don't believe what they tell you about gill nets being selective either.  The mesh size does in fact determine the size range of fish it will catch but it's just plain stupid to believe the nets are species selective.  They might set a school of mullet but guess what, there are lots of other fish that get gilled off, like trout, snook, redfish, snapper, sheepshead and many others.  Don't feel sorry for these guys; the fish belong to everyone, not just commercial fishermen who can't control themselves enough to stop when stocks get low.  I don't know about other areas but they killed off the roe mullet population in the Indian and Banana rivers in just 2 short years because they couldn't regulate themselves and agree to limits. If it ever comes to a vote again you need to vote NO on net fishing!
    and you lying too.. 

    ain't no cat food packer paying .75 to 1.00 a lb for cat food in the early 1980's.

    keep spouting that same drivel long enough.. lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    pottydoc said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    pottydoc said:
    If you had fished much offshore on the central through south coast, it would have affected  you, Cad. I lived in Palm Beach County for years. I watched the big gill new guys show up, and literally wipe out the spanish and kings. They used spotter planes to find them, then surrounded the schools and caught them by the 1000’s of pounds. During fall and spring before those boats, catching any of the macs was pretty easy. Plenty of fish for the recs, and the hook and line commercial guys. The commercials got their people appointed to the boards that made the rules, and basically told the rec folks to take a hike. We finally fixed it by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to stop it. Over 70% of the voters in favor. Art and other commercials will tell you folks didn’t know what they were voting for, but that’s a bunch of crap. On the west coast, it was the same kind of thing netting mullet, trout, and reds. Plus of course, gill nets aren’t particular about what size, or species of fish they catch, so the by catch was way high. The reds they targeted were mostly big breeder reds offshore. Of course, when you kill most of those the population plummets. The poaching that went on ( think pulling a gill net all the way across a creek) was rampant on the west coast also. The commercials can say all they want, but I was there, I saw the fish populations going down, down, down, at the hands of commercial fishermen who’s whole outlook was “catch them all, and then move on to the next species”. They had plenty of opportunities to accept reasonable limits, and fought every one of them as hard as they could. They kept on, until the public was fed up. Then we stopped them. 
    see this is where you are dumb as a box of rocks.

    Gill nets are very size specific, 3" net will catch a 1-1.25 lb mullet, 3.5" net a larger one, 4" larger etc all the wgile allowing the smaller fish to pass thru.
    Ever see a tennis ball hit a tennis net? 
    Throw a golf ball at that same net and see what happens, your claim of bycatch is just bs.

    Never was illegal to stop off a creek in Florida, you got that confused with N.C..

    Btw, what's up with all the new regs for reds and trout, it ain't commercials fault you resource rapers you.
    The new regs  are because of environmental issues. But you know that. If net size wasn’t a big deal, why did you fight against any restrictions on it. Do you deny that the kingfish fishery was pretty much ruined by the roller net boats? There’s still plenty of us around who watched it happen. We saw it, Art. You might can bs your way around some folks who didn’t see it first hand know what happened, but I, and a pile of others were there when it happened. You want to catch crabs, I got no issue with that. You want to catch bottom fish with bandit reels, or conventional tackle, I got no issue with that. You want to catch kingfish trolling, have at it. But when you try to wipe out a public resource that belongs to all of us, for the sole reason to line your pockets then I do have issues with it, and I will continue to call it out ever time a commercial guy tries to play innocent and blame rec guys for any fishery being in danger.
    Um, you do know that restriction were put on spanish and kings well before the net ban?
    You do know that those regs were working as well as the closures on mullet and the TACS on trout?

    You should know (but won't admit) that the only reason this went to a ballot initiative was that the best available science didn't support a net ban and it pissed you off, same reason y'all P&M about ARS.

    I guess the collapse of the IRL is our fault also, albeit 25 years later, lol

    Y'all are fixing to collapse our fishery over here also,,
    It really doesn't matter, just the sheer numbers of you nimrods are enough to destroy inshore gamefish.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
Sign In or Register to comment.