how to post images on this new site?

larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
could a step by step instruction form be posted on this site and not moved?
do we still have to upload on another site to post them here?
larrywitt

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Yes you still have to upload from a photo hosting site. Just above the text field (when you start or reply to a thread, there is an icon with a tree inside a little frame. Click that then a window pops up. Cut and past the URL for the photos location in that windows field and say OK. Done!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    in the past iwould do copy and paste, i was doing this and it was not working..cut and paste..i will give it a try..
    thanks
    larrywitt
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    i was trying to paste in the address pop up window that opens when you select the icon.....
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Yes..that is what you do.
  • HPXMicroHPXMicro Posts: 249 Officer
    Posting Images on the FS Forum – A Step-by-Step Guide

In reponse to your request for a step-by-step guide for posting images to the Florida Sportsman Forum and I decided to take on the task of showing how this could be done. I’d like to specify that I currently use www.imageshack.com as my photo hosting site and this guide is designed around how I post images from there. There are many other sites that provide the same hosting services such as Photo Bucket, DropBox, etc., and although they have different methods for uploading images the principal is the same to show your pictures on the forum.
    First, you will want to take your pictures from your camera, phone, whatever and copy them to your computer using whatever method you are comfortable with. This guide assumes you know how to copy the photos over to the computer and will not go into detail on how to do so. Once the images are copied to your directory of choice follow the steps outlined below to make those images available for use:
    1. Open your web browser and head over to www.imageshack.com to begin uploading. If you have never used ImageShack then you should register with the site and log in or you will not be able to copy the direct link for the image. In the upper right hand corner of the home screen you will see two links, one is Sign Up and the second is Login. Once you register by providing some basic user details (email address, user name, password, gender, and birth year) then you can login with your email address and password.
    2. Once logged in you will see the media upload screen like shown below and can begin uploading your images to the site.

01imageshackhome.jpg
    3. On the media upload screen you can upload an image to the site by clicking the browse button, select the image to upload. The cool thing here is that you can select multiple images for upload at the same time by shift or control left-clicking the files in your directory. A screenshot of the selection process is below showing that I’ve selected two images to upload; once you have selected all the images you want to upload click Open to continue.

01imageshackselectimage.jpg
    4. After you have selected the images to upload you have a few choices you can make prior to committing to the upload of these images. First you can add tags (never really used this feature) and select the Image Resize option. The default resize selection is 640x480 and indicates it is for message boards, but I usually change it to 800x600 since I like a little higher resolution for my posted images. In addition to the two already listed you can also select 100x75 (avatar), 115x112 (thumbnail), 320x240 (for website and email), 1025x768 (17-inch monitor), 1280x1024 (19-inch monitor), 1600x1200 (21-inch monitor), Optimize without resize, and finally Do not resize. I would discourage you from using the higher resolutions and especially the “do not resize” option since some cameras take massive photos and will cause the uploaded image to look really funky on the displayed forum page. Below is a capture of the screen with several images selected for upload. (A final note on the upload, if you select some images and decide to add more you can do so by clicking browse again, hit the directory where your images are, then click the file(s) and open)

03selectedimagesforuplo.jpg
    5. Now that you’ve selected your images to upload click the blue upload now button and wait (depending on the number and size of your images this could take some time). Once the images are uploaded you will see those as thumbnails, and if you registered, you will see any pictures you have uploaded in the past on the my images screen. There are many options and things that you can do on this screen, but for the sake of brevity I am only going to address what you need to post that image on the forum. First click the top button next to one of the thumbnails that looks like a blue i and you get a popup screen with various links that can be used in different applications for the image. You want to click the one that is labeled “Direct:” and it should highlight in blue (if you registered), now click ctrl-c to copy the link text.

04myimagesscreen.jpg

05informationpopup.jpg
    6. On the forum in your post, you want to click the insert image button (circled in red, badly) in the toolbar of the post window (this is available in quick post and advanced post format on the forum, pictured below is the advanced post screen)

06insertimagebutton.jpg
    7. Now you get a popup asking the URL for the image (pictured below), just paste the info you copied from ImageShack into the textbox and click ok.

07insertimagepopup.jpg
    8. Now you should see something like the text in the image below that is pasted into your forum post textbox

08insertedimagetext.jpg
    9. Repeat steps 5-7 for all images you wish to post on the forum then click post and you are done.

A final note, you can get back to the images you have uploaded under your registered account again late by logging in to the ImageShack site and clicking the menu option to the right that says My Images if you ever need to post them again.

I hope this helps.
    img2672t.jpg1-1.gif?1244922342
    2009 Maverick HPX Micro
  • pupsnuspupsnus Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    If you use the attachment icon(the paperclip), you can upload from your computer. The images post as thumbnails which you can click on to see the full size image. Using photobucket etc., the images are posted full size and you have to go to the bottom of the post, viewing one side of the images on the way down. Then you view the other side scrolling back up.
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    Trying ImageShack. all I get is red X's, what am I doing wrong?
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    imgur.com
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    donald811 wrote: »
    Trying ImageShack. all I get is red X's, what am I doing wrong?

once you get a red x you need to hit upload , then copy the forum code and paste to the reply box here.
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    johnD wrote: »
    once you get a red x you need to hit upload , then copy the forum code and paste to the reply box here.
    I'm gettin the red x in the post box.:shrug
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.