Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bottom of boat

Have a bay boat and have accumulated scratches along the bottom of the boat as is normal for shallow fishing. It’s quite scratched up by this point but nothing to deep. My question i guess is when do you begin to address the scratches on bottom. Kind of unavoidable around here to not have them. 
Thanks.
D

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,095 Captain
    when the gel coat is gone and you can begin to see glass, add some gelcoat yourself or have it professionally done.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,742 Admiral
    Scratches and minor gouges get ignored.....forever. At least that's how I've dealt with it over the last 45 years.

But......you do have to watch it as buttressing such that there is never a hole or rub-through is a WAY BETTER plan than fixing after the fact.

Have you thought about one of those strips you apply along the keel? I've not used one but it'll at least protect the place that gets the most abuse. Though that is also the thickest place already......

I will say that neither of the Action Crafts I've had ( 20 years on the first and 15 on this one ) has gotten to the point where they need attention......and I'm not all that careful.
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 483 Deckhand
    That’s kind of what my thoughts have been also. Being it’s literally unavoidable I just ignore them. I have however always filled anything that looks concerning. The strip
    is a good idea maybe I’ll look into that. Thanks for the advice guys.