Home Angler On Foot

A rod for wade fishing

NEKHULZNEKHULZ Titusville, FL.Posts: 17 Deckhand
So after the better part of a year of wade fishing the Indian River Lagoon and using my uncle's loaned rods(Crowder E-series ESS706) it's time i get my own. I was wondering what y'all might recommend? 7' rods are a little cumbersome for me to use, I think it's because i'm only 5'5" I manage it tho, but wondering how much casting distance I would lose going with a 6'6" maybe. And since im only wade fishing I only bring 2 poles with me -- and one of those stays in the car as a backup. I'm mainly using weight soft plastics and top water walk the dog type plugs. so anything from 1/4th to 3/4th kind of looking for a rod that can maybe load these weights pretty good, while being some what light to pair with a penn pursuit 3 3000

Replies

• Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 396 Deckhand
    I prefer a 6'6" inch rod for wading, and casting in general.  It also fits the in the crew cab of my truck better, and in my rod holders on my boat better.   I recently bought a Cajun, Savanah in 6'6" in heavy and i really like if for flounder fishing around docks and such.   It is light and has backbone.   I started with their medium heavy, but it was really more like a medium.   I had big flounder bending it over double so i went up to the heavy and i am happier.   
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 89 Deckhand
    My goto in your area was always a 6'6" Ugly Stick. If you do not care about sensitivity of graphite and want to also fish the surf, the SPL 1100s (or whatever is now the current model) are the bomb. They are so durable and affordable
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,512 Captain
    I'm your height and old and I like 7' rods for wade fishing where I sometimes need longer casts.  Most of my rods are shorter though.  I have a Calico Jack 7' ML that is perfect for the plastics but too long for spook type baits.  I also cut 1" or so off the butt because it caught on my clothes.
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 99 Deckhand
    The crowder e series is a good rod for what your doing...made here in Stuart. For throwing plastics 7’ light action is majority of what I use. My wife loves hers is not heavy at all. And can’t beat the warranty. There great rods for the money. If it’s cumbersome then get the 6’6. But you’ll lose quite a bit of casting. I throw a 7’6 for fishing flats and when I’m pitching docks and Mangroves I throw a 7’. 

To each there own man just enjoy yourself! The fish are biting really good with this heat! 
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    edited October 2 #6
    NEKHULZ said:
    So after the better part of a year of wade fishing the Indian River Lagoon and using my uncle's loaned rods(Crowder E-series ESS706) it's time i get my own. I was wondering what y'all might recommend? 7' rods are a little cumbersome for me to use, I think it's because i'm only 5'5" I manage it tho, but wondering how much casting distance I would lose going with a 6'6" maybe. And since im only wade fishing I only bring 2 poles with me -- and one of those stays in the car as a backup. I'm mainly using weight soft plastics and top water walk the dog type plugs. so anything from 1/4th to 3/4th kind of looking for a rod that can maybe load these weights pretty good, while being some what light to pair with a penn pursuit 3 3000
    IMHO the rod you're using here would be tough to beat for an all around rod.

However..............I personally would scale down the reel to possibly a 2000 size but at least to a 2500.

"IF" you decide on two rods then I would get a shorter 6' to 6'6" rod for topwater walking the dog style lures but am thinking in the long term you might regret a short rod for wade fishing jigs and soft plastics.  I would also recommend a 2000-2500 series reel on this rod.

The smaller reel may make a ton of difference in the feel and the longer rod paired with a smaller reel may not feel so cumbersome after all.

GLGF!
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 109 Deckhand
    I travel all over Florida due to my work and when I'm going to be working near water I always bring a or two rod with me so I can fish from shore as time allows.
    Currently my primary "travel" rod is a 7' one piece Penn Squadron II with fast ML action matched to a 3000 series Shimano Sedona reel.  I use 10 lb braid line on the reel.  In last 2 years I've used this set up to catch everything from under size snapper and trout to 16 lb. snook and 19 lb redfish from shore.   It's not fancy or pricy but it works for me and I have less than $100 invested in this rig so I won't be too pissed if it get lost or stolen. 
    It is long but it fits in my car and it cast well and I've never felt it was too long when fishing.         
    For previous years my "travel" rod was a 6' 6" one piece BassPro Shop brand rod matched to a Abu Garcia Cardinal 30 reel with 8 or 10 lb. mono line.   That worked well to for about 10 years and caught some nice fish including 14 lb. kingfish from a pier, 20+ lb. jack from beach and 30+ lb tarpon that I caught off a bridge in middle Keys.  Unfortunately that rod was damaged by elevator door few years ago.