Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking for a guide Boynton/Lake Worth Area

usa1970usa1970 Boynton BeachPosts: 3 Greenhorn
Just bought our first boat, a new to me 20' Center Console. I'm looking for a guide to take come out on our boat with my son and I to put us on some yellowtail and or Mahi. We are not beginners but have mostly fished from shore and a few times on charter/party boats. Any recommendations would be appreciated.  

Replies

• JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 243 Deckhand
    I'd pick one or the other.  Yellowtail fishing is often at night, on anchor, chum a lot and catch some.  You'll see people on the known spots most nights outside the inlets. 

Mahi is either trolling or live baiting floating structure or weed lines.  I'd go early am out of both of those inlets as again, lots of people fish for them and you can find a beautiful weed line at 10:30am that has already been fished by 10 other boats. 

Angler management used to advertise on here.  A guy named Eric would go out on your boat and show you how to rig etc, but it's not super tough with pre-rigged ballyhoo or a 5 pack of lures off amazon or ebay. 

You can spend as much $ as you want chasing fish, good news is that seas are calm right now and weed/Mahi are starting to show up.  They've been scarce this spring and seas really hot. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • usa1970usa1970 Boynton BeachPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm open to either as both are delicious and fun to catch.  I'm more concerned with navigating the inlets and getting some local area knowledge, I hear Boynton can be nasty and boating is new to me. Thank you again. 
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Boynton is tough on an outgoing tide, and once you come around the bend, you are committed. Keep the tide table in your head.
    If Palm Beach inlet is within reach use that until you really get to know what you are doing. For a while, maybe try to connect with a buddy boat, and really look around on these forums for safety gear information.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 840 Officer
    I haven't seen him post in some time but E-Money, think was his screen name did an amazing job teaching and putting people on fish.  Well worth the money to learn and get information from.  
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,402 Captain
    edited June 27 #6

Eric E-money Rietwyk can be found on FB, IG and here is his number: 561-718-6937
    This is specifically what he does for a living. 
    Perfectly normal to fish for mahi or other pelagics and then switch to bottom fishing. Everyone does it. 
  • usa1970usa1970 Boynton BeachPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thank you. This sounds like exactly what I was looking for.