Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Jennings State Forest hunting oct

lilfear1lilfear1 Jennings ForestPosts: 7 Deckhand
Hey everyone, I got a quota for Jennings in oct and was looking for some general Info on possible deer sightings.  I am not looking to intrude on your spot, I am new to hunting this area and have no idea where to start looking.

Replies

• FloridaODFloridaOD Senior Member Posts: 4,410 Captain
    Print out a Hunt Map
    Take magic marker in hand
    Close eyes...... in a random manner move marker down to map
    Wherever the Magic  Maker ink dot lands, start there
    You might end up thousands of acres away. It’s some of the most diverse hunting country you will encounter in Florida
    And a touch of “ Wild”, personally I would avoid Forest boundary adjoining neighborhood back yards with Feeder feature.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,660 Captain
    Welcome to the forum. I know nothing about Jennings. Try to aerial visit and make a trip out there. Luck!
    It’s a great place , various state agencies manage as best as possible, various game populations apparently evenly distributed among diverse but broadly consistent habitat units.
  • lilfear1lilfear1 Jennings ForestPosts: 7 Deckhand
    so throw a dart blind at the map and start there?  Is it heavily hunted?
    edited July 2020 #6
    Note number of permits/ acreage

Jennings area private hunt club/ leases can experience heavier pressure.

i have been in areas of Jennings crowded, and not far away...... alone
    Crossing a Creek can place one in Empty Quadrant. Waist deep cool weather creek crossing exhilarating.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Senior Member Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Jennings is a beautiful place with a fair deer and hog population. Be prepared for locals driving on closed roads. Lots of elevation changes along the main creeks and drainages. Do some looking at edges on Google maps and then go put in some ground time.
    I once hunted a Jennings spot, as if up north, high sandhill bluff looking down over one hundred feet to creek bottom. 
    That was grand. Laid out on sand, blanket , solid rifle rest, comfy, take a nap, watch. 
    A wade across the creek at the sandhill bottom put me at the far back of a section few walked in to.
    The “ Best” hunting was three miles away, where one could hear the Ice Cream Truck music, adjacent neighborhood....... back yard deer feeders!..... I never went there, the back yards should have been a part of Jennings Family State Purchase.... the Family almost screwed up The Purchase Deal with the sale of boundary parcels.

Suggest just ramble and scout the Forest.
    Close your eyes and...........