Home Fly Fishing

Has anyone in Florida caught a tarpon on fly this year?

sunflowersunflower Posts: 560 Officer
I haven't seen a single picture posted!
I have fished myself probably 14 mornings in Venice, Florida off the beach ... and 2 days in Key West
Not a fish yet.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• ERKERK West Central FloridaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I've only put my hands on 1 ~80 lbs. I've been out 8 times this season, exclusively focusing on the big beach **** with fly. I've only had 3 bites, all before 7am. It's a frustrating game, but worth all the hours and prep when you put one in the air.  
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 560 Officer
    Yikes.
    I have two friends who fish with bait off the beaches of Venice, Florida.
    Between them, they probably fish 100 days.
    Combined they caught one, maybe jumped two.
    A typical year is probably about 10-15 each. With me getting two on fly.
    I didn't get a single bite on fly. And, honestly, hardly a shot.
    Mark

• CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 83 Deckhand
    I have only caught a few on fly this year.All small fish 5-15lbs. Probably about 20 on spin. Been jumping a lot off the beach for the past week or two. Not trying to land those fish from the beach for the fishes sake. If i had a boat I would try to land them. Too many sharks in the surf for a tired tarpon and i see too many people drag them on the sand. A buddy of mine went something like 8/13 a week ago in a single day from his boat off the beach with fly. Maybe you're just on the wrong side of FL right now. 
  • bsfl1bsfl1 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I jumped two on fly off the beach, east coast. Landed one pass fish on west coast. For me, it has been good for the amount of time I target them. There have been lots of beach fish this year, more so than past years in my experience.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,795 Captain
    edited June 30 #6
    March, April, and May are prime months for big tarpon in the ‘glades.... Unfortunately during this year almost every phone call was a cancellation for bookings to fish them...

Not a good deal at all for guides who depend on lots of charters to fish tarpon each year.  Fortunately, we still have our “second season” to look forward to.   All summer long we’ll start seeing big fish returning to us, primed to feed up while the weather holds. The last two weeks of September and the first three weeks of October can be as good as it gets if a hurricane doesn’t come this way...

Right now we’re in tarpon every day but they’re only 10 to 50lbs... Anglers wanted
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Nothing wrong with with 10-50lb tarpon captain. I'll take that size any day. Hope business picks back up. 
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 560 Officer
    Be honest, CW.
    Sure every tarpon is a tarpon. But we fish tarpon because they aren't ladyfish.
    A ten pound tarpon doesn't do anything that a ladyfish doesn't do.
    A tarpon is the greatest fly game-fish because of the way a big 80-plus fish
    comes thundering up out of the water, gill plates flaring, our hearts stopping ...
    (this is a stolen picture)

Mark

I am just fine with 10lb tarpon. 80lb plus fish are fun to land a few times a year but after that those long battles in the summer sun really make me want to just jumped them a few times then let them shake off. Some of my favorite tarpon fishing is with my 5wt for micro poons under 5lbs. They are like a pack of wolves when presented with a gurgler
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 379 Deckhand
    CW what flies do you like using for the beach fish around here? I just moved up to ft. pierce and have been trying to get on some good beach bites but haven't seen any good action yet, maybe the numbers you're seeing are a bit further south.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 379 Deckhand
    Also to add to the thread, I've land a couple small ones up to like 20-30 on fly this year but have missed a few larger ones. All my fish have been backwater though where I'm mostly blind casting, still have yet to get one of those awesome ocean side fish 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,992 AG
    edited July 2 #12
    sunflower said:
    Be honest, CW.
    Sure every tarpon is a tarpon. But we fish tarpon because they aren't ladyfish.
    A ten pound tarpon doesn't do anything that a ladyfish doesn't do.
    A tarpon is the greatest fly game-fish because of the way a big 80-plus fish
    comes thundering up out of the water, gill plates flaring, our hearts stopping ...
    (this is a stolen picture)

That ain't no 80lber.  ;)

Haven't tried the fly rod this year, but would have no problem catching one under the bridges at night in Tampa Bay.  It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Beach fishing for the most part this year has stunk all up and down the west coast of Florida.