Home Off Topic

Columbus Ohio possibly renamed to 'Flavortown'.....

Replies

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,600 Admiral
    You could go anywhere in the world and start removing things that were built with a negative association.  Jewish people should go all the way back to Egypt and remove the pyramids and every statue that were built on the backs of Jewish slavery. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,382 AG
    And, Fieri moved out of Columbus 2 days or 2 years after being born. Can't remember,  I heard this on the radio early last week. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,992 AG
    edited June 22 #4
    Let me know when the city of Cairo is changed to something with a Jewish connotation.

Have no fear, the pyramids are safe.

It will stop where it stops.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    Lynchburg TN:

ruh roh
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Let me know when the city of Cairo is changed to something with a Jewish connotation.

Have no fear, the pyramids are safe.

It will stop where it stops.

As long as it stops to the point where it fits your opinion and agenda.......
    They aren't asking me.  Neither did you.  But you seem to be a bit confused as to what my opinion on the subject is:

To me, the name changes are going a bit far, including Columbus.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,399 Admiral
    edited June 22 #8
    I personally do not care about the name changes.  I do not see what meaningful impact it will have in either direction.  My problem (as stated in other threads) is we have a known cyclic poverty with lack of upward mobility issue.  Great we change a bunch of names....  will that actually fix the problem or are we simply checking a few boxes to make it seem as thought we accomplished something?  Because the latter is simply a waste of time and frankly is insulting because it ignores a true problem that deserves a real fix.    

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    They aren't asking me.  Neither did you.  But you seem to be a bit confused as to what my opinion on the subject is:

To me, the name changes are going a bit far, including Columbus.
    You never know with you. 😂
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,554 AG
    Well I guess it can't offend anyone if the filter accounts for illiterate redbacks who can't spell.

Captain Todd Approves

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,081 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    I personally do not care about the name changes.  I do not see what meaningful impact it will have in either direction.  My problem (as stated in other threads) is we have a known cyclic poverty with lack of upward mobility issue.  Great we change a bunch of names....  will that actually fix the problem or are we simply checking a few boxes to make it seem as thought we accomplished something?  Because the latter is simply a waste of time and frankly is insulting because it ignores a true problem that deserves a real fix.    
    Just so we are on the same page...What exactly is the problem, the way you see it?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,081 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Well I guess it can't offend anyone if the filter accounts for illiterate redbacks who can't spell.

Nobody likes reading your posts more then you do.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,307 Admiral
    Any suggestions for a better choice of  a name suitable for the Capital of Ohio?

Meh Ohio

Boring Ohio

Mediocre Ohio

Goodbye Ohio
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    mplspug said:

Nobody likes reading your posts more then you do.
    You can read me like a book.

Captain Todd Approves

• MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 218 Deckhand
    MikeGonz said:
    Where does this end? Might as well do away with nicknames Indians, Chiefs, Seminoles, Braves, Redskins......last I checked Native Americans were far more injured than African Americans, I mean they were mercilessly slaughtered, AND had their land stolen from them. The Seminoles in Tampa and Hollywood, though, I think have been made whole, to the tune of several $$$ billion and counting.

Raiders? Vikings? Buccaneers? Cowboys? Pretty sure those groups were murdering types as well, of innocents and "natives".

As far as the tearing down of symbols of American slavery history, clearly there are no historians among the rioting mob or the outraged African Americans. 

Angry African Americans can and should also be angry at their own ancestors, who captured them and sold them. Most Africans that were sold that ended up in the Americas came from Ghana, Kongo (Congo), and lands of Nigeria, sold by kings, leaders, and warlords, i.e. Africans!!. They weren't white people selling slaves, I can assure you. The African slave trade and slavery pre-dated the United States and continued long in other parts of Africa long after the US civil war, as well. 

FWIW, the largest percentage of these West Central African slaves were bought by the Portuguese, and sent to places like Brazil. Far more so by many times than the number sent to the US. Ever wonder why they speak Portuguese in Brazil? 

The Dutch, English, and French were also prolific slave traders of slaves in the colonial period, but vastly trailed the Portuguese in sheer numbers. 

But all of the slave traders BOUGHT the slaves from Africans. Shouldn't the percentage of today's African Americans that hate the USA so much be angry at their forefathers as well?

Africans have been mistreating each other horribly for centuries, and continues to this day. Slavery, genocide, female genital mutilation, blood trade in diamonds and gold, non-stop civil wars, etc. 

As I think about it, my wife is half black and half Mayan, so she should deserve double reparations right? I know my Spanish ancestors did a number on the Mayans. 

BTW, where is the outrage over 100 people shot in Chicago over the weekend, 14 killed, including 5 children??????

Woah, this isn’t part of
    the narrative and doesn’t fit in with the agenda. You need to get woke. Perhaps two years in a re-education camp will make you understand.
    edited June 23 #17
    Not really.  It's just the classic slippery slope argument followed by a few whatabouts with a side order of exaggeration.

Then you throw in "agenda", "narrative" and "woke" to check all the reactionary boxes.

I think you forgot Soros.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    100 fam.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,320 Moderator
    King_Me said:
    3% of the population signed a petition to change the name and it's news?
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

In 2020 it is

Captain Todd Approves

kellercl said:
    Just so we are on the same page...What exactly is the problem, the way you see it?

Personally I think the lack of opportunity is the main problem.  People born in poverty are likely to stay in poverty.  Hence poverty tends to be cyclical.  And while money may not directly buy happiness, we can't understate the importance of wealth in a capitalistic country.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,320 Moderator
    True.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I continue to watch the hands of the racial clock turn backwards. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 10,857 AG
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:

Personally I think the lack of opportunity is the main problem.  People born in poverty are likely to stay in poverty.  Hence poverty tends to be cyclical.  And while money may not directly buy happiness, we can't understate the importance of wealth in a capitalistic country.  
       If only we could teach them about hard work and determination.
       They are staying in poverty because they are taught poverty, this ain’t India.
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:

Some truth to that.  But we also need to realise inner city schools tend to be junk.  We do not promote trade schools enough.  College costs is absurd and we have outsourced too many mid skilled jobs.  It is a multiple variable issue.  

-Walter Payton
    If you had a choice would you rather have white skin or black skin?  

Why did you make the choice you made?

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,875 Admiral
    edited June 23 #27
    If I'm not wrong once some people changed the name of some cities using the same style. Saint Petersburg became Leningrad, Tsaritsyn became Stalingrad, etc.
    The grandsons of that people are still around, apparently.

Anyway the main problem will be when they will decide to change District of Columbia to District of Dementia. But they have to wait that one of them become resident again in the House in order to fit the new name perfectly. Maybe in November...
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 10,857 AG
    kellercl said:
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:

Some truth to that.  But we also need to realise inner city schools tend to be junk.  We do not promote trade schools enough.  College costs is absurd and we have outsourced too many mid skilled jobs.  It is a multiple variable issue.  
      Dang, we’re in agreement, but don’t forget family values. If you have a child at 13-18 you have seriously handicapped your future, even if you let grandma raise it.
       Let’s not forget about the gang culture, once you start down that road statistics probably indicate that you will be incarcerated, and your only mark on the world is 30-40 babies.
    Gardawg said:

White.  Because I am white.  What do you think a black person would say?  I suspect most would say black.  Humans always comfortable with what they are familiar with and differences cause different levels of "uncomfortableness".  Anyone who thinks they are free from judgement is a fool.

Captain Todd Approves

edited June 23 #30
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    kellercl said:

Dang, we’re in agreement, but don’t forget family values. If you have a child at 13-18 you have seriously handicapped your future, even if you let grandma raise it.
       Let’s not forget about the gang culture, once you start down that road statistics probably indicate that you will be incarcerated, and your only mark on the world is 30-40 babies.
    Absolutely family matters in terms of discipline, work ethic and education.  My kids can test out of most 4th grade work, and they haven't even started 4th grade.  Parents need to push and develop their kids.  Kids shouldn't raise themselves.  I consider myself quite successful (for many reasons) and my parents deserve the lion's share of the credit.  I was pushed to perform at a high level from day 1.  Growing up being a bad person and behaving poorly was simply never an option, it just wasn't.    

-Walter Payton
    mplspug said:
    Gardawg said:

White.  Because I am white.  What do you think a black person would say?  I suspect most would say black.  Humans always comfortable with what they are familiar with and differences cause different levels of "uncomfortableness".  Anyone who thinks they are free from judgement is a fool.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect most black folk would take the opportunity to have white skin so that they could enjoy the privilege that accompanies it.