Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marathon boat ramp situation

Will be launching a 28’ boat on Sunday and I’m hearing the ramp I usually use mm54 I believe is out of commission. What is my next best option? I am hearing there is one on 33rd st. Anything I need to look out for like tides or certain times to avoid? Thanks for the guidance. 

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    33rd street has a ramp but very little to no parking.   Aviation BLVD also has one with zero parking.   High tide is always best for launching but i believe both of those ramps are ok just be careful.   
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Grady27Grady27 Posts: 76 Deckhand
    33rd street is good, especially at high tide. Just pulled a deep V Grady White Canyon 27 out of there last week. 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 608 Officer
    It sucks that 54mm is closed. Thats going to make my trip down a bit of a hassle. Still better than work though.
    how long is it closed??
    how long is it closed??
    Its been closed for repaving. Was supposed to open up the 19th per the website. Looks like they have fallen behind. I've tried to call and get a eta of the completion but nobody wants to put their name to a date. Typical government work.
  • RockNTroll2RockNTroll2 ClearwaterPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I splashed a 28 Grady at 33rd on Sunday at low tide,plenty of water,just alot of googans to deal with. Especially the guy who backed down the ramp and then sat there 20 minutes rebuilding his motor!!!!!
  • KeysNoleKeysNole Posts: 541 Officer
    33rd is great, but...if someone parks in the spot next to the designated "pull forward" lane, it can get a little dicey. It's summer, so the clowns are out in full force. Still the best public option in town, in my opinion.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 689 Officer
    I have used it many times, always easy in and out .
  • dihrddihrd Posts: 163 Deckhand
    The ramp at the RV park (bone-fish bay) next to KCB is adequate for a way to get the boat to the house if you are staying near by.    He doesn't have any parking so have someone that can take the truck back.  He's also $20 each way now that the demand is up.  They made a lot of progress on the parking lot project wile we were there should be open now or soon.
  • Manny1117Manny1117 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Does any one know if the mm54 ramp is finished? 
  • dvnelson72dvnelson72 Posts: 9 Deckhand
    I drove by on Friday and it was closed with no work going on.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 689 Officer
    I always use 33rd, and have my son to drive the truck and trailer back to the house on Sombrero Key put it on the driveway for the week, great ramp, the closest free ramp I believe 
    They open the 54mm ramp for the weekends and close it during the week recently. 33rd st is great just farther from where we stay in kcb. 
    Got a buddy going down tomorrow hopefully the ramp is open.   if not he'll launch on 33rd or aviation
    33rd was great and 54mm was open on weekends just not weekdays. I dont know if that has changed. 
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 143 Deckhand
    dihrd said:
    The ramp at the RV park (bone-fish bay) next to KCB is adequate for a way to get the boat to the house if you are staying near by.    He doesn't have any parking so have someone that can take the truck back.  He's also $20 each way now that the demand is up.  They made a lot of progress on the parking lot project wile we were there should be open now or soon.

Will the Bonefish Bay ramp handle a 31' CC (BW 2850)?
    33rd street has a ramp but very little to no parking.     
    With the elementary school closed they are allowing overflow parking across 33rd st by the school. Its not just 7 parking spots anymore. Just a heads up. We never ran into a issue when all spots were taken either. So there's that info too. 
    My buddy had to launch Saturday at 33rd st MM54  was closed.   I thought they were open weekends but maybe not.  
    My buddy had to launch Saturday at 33rd st MM54  was closed.   I thought they were open weekends but maybe not.  
    They were open when we were leaving in the morning on Saturday the 11th. They are on their own schedule for sure without much communication.
    he's staying on Aviation blvd so for him wasn't a big deal anyway.  For me i'll launch at 33rd that saturday and spend a day on the water before we check into the place.