Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crystal River scalloping

1st trip to Crystal River scalloping in about3 weeks. How far and deep should we plan? Any fishing near there?
Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink

Replies

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,859 Captain
    Cancelled....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Run out to market 1 turn south. You'll know when you get in the right area. 
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,095 Officer
    DOCKSIDE said:
    Cancelled....
    Wouldn’t be scallop season with your encouraging comments 🤦🏼‍♂️
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Homosassa Posts: 6 Deckhand
    Just look for the gigantic mass of boats couple miles south of CR. When the water turns clear and you’re in 4-5’ of water hop in. Not a fantastic time for fishing IMO, definitely not possible to fish in the scalloping crowd. I’d try backwater first thing. Don’t forget your dive flag.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 909 Officer
    Scallops are by far my favorite seafood to eat hands down. That's all I've heard last few years since being down here is how inconsistent it has been. For 75 bucks though I think it cost for a charter definitely going this year. Probably be worth it even if I dont get a mess of em. Ric1 let us know how you make out when you go 
  • mr.bubbamr.bubba Posts: 72 Deckhand
    If you're going the first weekend, get there eearly. Don't wait till 4 or 5 to head in. I've talked to people who didn't get in until midnight.
    today . 2 dives , 2 scallops.... 
    IBEW LU 433
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,095 Officer
    Well that’s a shame. Lots of quick limit reports coming in so those people must have all the luck. Guess we’ll just cancel our 8 days and stay home 😂
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Thanks loads for the info. Looking forward to it and will let y'all know how it goes. 
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
    Orlando76 said:
    Just look for the gigantic mass of boats couple miles south of CR. When the water turns clear and you’re in 4-5’ of water hop in. Not a fantastic time for fishing IMO, definitely not possible to fish in the scalloping crowd. I’d try backwater first thing. Don’t forget your dive flag.
    Is there any decent fishing within an hour in a 21 ft Key West?
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,607 Captain
    sure, drift in 10ft. with lead heads 
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,780 Captain
    ric1 said:
    Orlando76 said:
    Is there any decent fishing within an hour in a 21 ft Key West?

Lots of good fishing within that range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 176 Deckhand
    There's also a string of artificial reefs maybe 17 miles offshore if that's more your style.
    There's also a string of artificial reefs maybe 17 miles offshore if that's more your style.
    First time in that area. Mostly trolling or bottom fishing off those reefs? Any kings or Spanish? Cobia?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,274 Moderator
    ric1 said:
    First time in that area. Mostly trolling or bottom fishing off those reefs? Any kings or Spanish? Cobia?
    Spanish , grunt , small snapper occasional cobia etc.  Sometimes a king will come by it lots of bait around.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Dove twice Friday..... 1 scallop each dive .  Good luck...
    IBEW LU 433
  • MCR3MCR3 Posts: 13 Deckhand
    I usually fish CR in the spring before scalloping.  All local reports I heard from friends and the local marinas was that it was an absolute zoo due to Corona and, therefore, I fished elsewhere for the first time this spring.  If those crowds are still heavy due to Corona, I simply cannot imagine how bad it will be during scalloping season.  
    Understand,  and while reports don't look so good,  and I hate the huge crowds of, shall we say less than educated or experienced boaters, just have to remind myself,  a bad day on the water still beats anything else... 😏
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    MCR3 said:
    I usually fish CR in the spring before scalloping.  All local reports I heard from friends and the local marinas was that it was an absolute zoo due to Corona and, therefore, I fished elsewhere for the first time this spring.  If those crowds are still heavy due to Corona, I simply cannot imagine how bad it will be during scalloping season.  
    I've been giving this some thought and most of those people are shall we say casual boaters at best.   I think some will see the reports and get tired of being on the water because they have enough selfies for their portfolio on IG or whatever.  One reason i don't go opening weekend is because it's such a free for all mess.   If that weekend turns out to be a bust, those crowds will dwindle. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    This will be the earliest in the season we have ever gone and while I'm sure the boat ramps will be more crowded, we tend to stay far away from the flotilla of boats. Dont be afraid to look for scallops away from dumassas.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,274 Moderator
    nick said:
    My fishing charter didn’t show today so I’m headed out to scout. 

Starting at Gomez and working to homosassa. We shall see...
    Thanks Nick.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    edited June 23 #24
    We zig zagged around giving each spot 10 minutes. Some we’d get 4-5 and others we’d get 20-25. I’d say numbers are twice what they were last year. 

70-80% of them are small and not worth cleaning yet. But then again I don’t scallop personally till mid august. 

As busy as it’s been the past few months on the water I expect they’re going to get hit hard.  
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,607 Captain
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    Thanks for the report.   will be a good year to troll the kids behind the boat looking instead of stop anchor and spend time
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Few and far between. saw lots of jellyfish...... gonna be fun to watch the zoo animals.........
    IBEW LU 433
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    DOCKSIDE said:
    Few and far between. saw lots of jellyfish...... gonna be fun to watch the zoo animals.........
    They’ll be wiped clean by week 2. 
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,780 Captain
    I used to let the boat drift while hanging on to  the outboard skeg while scooping them up with a long handled net. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 63 Deckhand
    I shall fish the Nassau River on the Atlantic side till September. Good luck to everyone.
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Headed to Crystal River on Friday. What time do y'all suggest we get there in the morning? I'm assuming maybe 630-7?