Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Haulover 6/16

Quick report. Tuesday out of Haulover It was a bit rough out with the wind coming from the NE around 15mph. Nice weedlines around but not many birds. I can't remember the last time I saw a frigate that wasn't in shallow waters. Lots of undersized dolphin around but at least we managed to get four keepers. Enough for some mahi tacos. 

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     Thanks for the report capt. 
    If you dont mind saying around what depth did you get the fins?

I to have not seen many frigates recently in deep water. In recent years I have seen most over the reefs outer edge.
  • RealdeepRealdeep Posts: 216 Deckhand
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,296 Officer
    Nice catch.  That should make for some nice tacos
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 840 Officer
    Just curious, why the slits in the fish?  Seems like you might be missing some good meat towards the head below the slit.  Just asking as I never saw that before.  Thank you and great job.
    edited June 18 #6
    Just curious, why the slits in the fish?  Seems like you might be missing some good meat towards the head below the slit.  Just asking as I never saw that before.  Thank you and great job.
    I find it easier to do the slits then peel the skin back. I follow the heads bone structure and can guarantee that there is minimal wasted meat. As you can see in the pic,  not even the  roe is spared.
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     Thats the out line for pulling the skin off. If you look at the skin side of the fillets closely you will notice the membrane that holds the skin to the meat.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 840 Officer
     Thats the out line for pulling the skin off. If you look at the skin side of the fillets closely you will notice the membrane that holds the skin to the meat.
    Thank you, very interesting, you pull the skin off prior to taking the fillet off the carcass?  I usually fillet, cut the fillet into 8 inch pieces and then turn the pieces sideways and slice down the blood line turning the knife sideways cutting off the skin.  It doesn't leave the membrane on the meat and it also removes the blood line.  
    Yes I pull the skin off prior to filleting, it makes it easier to hold the fish with one hand while pulling the skin off with the other. I always cut out the bloodline but the membrane doesn't bother me. Unless I'm doing ceviche in which case I will fillet and leave the meat nice and clean. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
  • IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand
     I usually fillet, cut the fillet into 8 inch pieces and then turn the pieces sideways and slice down the blood line turning the knife sideways cutting off the skin.  It doesn't leave the membrane on the meat and it also removes the blood line.  
    Same. I will never pull the skin off again.
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 336 Deckhand
    Pulled skin off for years now filet off can tell a difference without membrane.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 214 Deckhand
    I've always cut the skin off.  Never thought to pull the skin off first. 

Always learning new stuff.