Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

June 16 fishing (not much catching) report

I went back out to fish the beaches of Kice and Cape Romano islands. I only caught a lady fish and a jack but it turned out to be quite the adventure anyway.

Last week I saw what I thought was a Cobia. Today I saw what appeared to be the exact same fish, it even behaved the same when I tossed a lure near it. I got closer this time and it turned out to be a black tip shark patrolling the beaches. I’m pretty sure that was what I saw last week. I didn’t catch it this week either...

Last week I also had a dolphin shadowing me and it even ate a bluefish that I released. This time there were three dolphin and it was obvious that they were waiting for me to catch and release a fish. They shadowed me for quite some time until I hooked a medium sized jack. As I was fighting the fish the dolphins became very excited and they were within 5 feet of the boat as I lifted the jack from the water. I tossed the jack in the water and the dolphins went berserk. These huge and powerful animals were going crazy trying to catch that jack in 3 feet of water. It was madness for about a minute with one of the dolphins coming half way out of the water to grab the jack. They shadowed me for another 20 minutes or so but then tired of my inability to feed them more fish and they wandered off.

So I ran across the bay and headed into the back country. This time I went into some remote areas around dismal key. I spent the next hour or so skipping jigs under the mangroves with little success. I ended up with a nice trout and a small snook.

Fishing has been slow for me the last 2 weeks. It’s my first spring/summer down here. I don’t think that I have this time of year figured out very well yet.

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA Posts: 792 Officer
    No replacement for experience. Do you keep a log?

Sounds like a fun day on the water anyway. Could be at work like me. 
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,670 Captain
    edited June 2020 #3
    We were out sunday...I havent been on the water much this year. Sunday was the first time in nearly a month. Struggled first 2 hours. Finally found them. Had a pretty good day with lots of slot snook, large Jacks. Step son caught a 28" snook and i had 1 in the 40 range, caught her in deeper water but when she decided to go for the mangroves she went lol.
    All fish caught on the outside close to deeper water (8-10') 
    Jason :USA
  • MarcoBobMarcoBob Marco IslandPosts: 50 Deckhand
    Nice fish!

Maybe I’m fishing too shallow lately. I caught an over slot snook a few weeks ago in the surf so I’ve stayed shallow. Thanks for the tip.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,670 Captain
    MarcoBob said:
    Nice fish!

Maybe I’m fishing too shallow lately. I caught an over slot snook a few weeks ago in the surf so I’ve stayed shallow. Thanks for the tip.
    Fish passes right now....All of our fish caught on 3-5" paddle tails.
    Good luck and please share. Will be back out after this fathers day weekend and then a week of vaca with more water time FINALLY
    Jason :USA
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 844 Officer
       Was out Thurs.18th and had better luck.But quite obvious in
    10k area,no moving water,no fish.So after moving from spot
    to spot finally found snook,drum and reds.Day was a slight
    drizzle all am but fish didn't seem to mind.So the day was
    two reds,a 16"and 24",20"drum and several small snook.
       Also lots of snapper and catfish.
  • MarcoBobMarcoBob Marco IslandPosts: 50 Deckhand
    Nice. I’m hoping to get out on Monday.
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Went out Friday morning, early. Overcast, no seeums were ferocious, good thing I have had a bug suit in my tackle bag for the past 15 years. Got 10 snukes 20-25" in the back, good water flow, and a 22" red out front.  All in less than 18" of water. Saturday not as many bites but we got a larger snuke on the outside in less than 2' of water.  Both days back to the marina by 0930. All on artificials (topwater mostly), I love the early morning!

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"