Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where the **** are the pilchards

wahoo1900wahoo1900 Hillsboro InletPosts: 26 Deckhand
This summer/spring has truly been the only one I can remember where I can’t find any good sized pilchards or dines from boynton to pompano, anyone have any sightings on them at all?

Replies

• b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I fish out of Boca Inlet and they never showed up this year. In April the small/medium sized sardines showed up but they have since also disappeared. Anyone know if there is any pillchards around the piers? 
  • pkp911pkp911 Posts: 10 Deckhand
    wish i could find them out of PE as well

• MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 218 Deckhand
    There hasn't been a decent amount of spring/summer bait around Boynton for over a decade.
  • wahoo1900wahoo1900 Hillsboro InletPosts: 26 Deckhand
    b1gdog83 said:
    I fish out of Boca Inlet and they never showed up this year. In April the small/medium sized sardines showed up but they have since also disappeared. Anyone know if there is any pillchards around the piers? 
    There is absolutely no bait at Deerfield last week, really sad to see, this time of year 3-5 years ago the pier would be blacked out with big pilchards 
  • wahoo1900wahoo1900 Hillsboro InletPosts: 26 Deckhand
    iceblue said:
    All “The Beach Renourshment”, aka “pumping muck onto inshore ecosystem” so fat tourists can sit on a wider beaches to get skin cancer and condo owners can have more space to put up No Trespassing signs has devastated the bait scene from Boynton to Hillsboro. In the 70s and 80s, there were shallow reefs all along Boca and Deerfield Beach. Only some fake reefs from piles of mined boulders are left in a few spots. Thick Black pilchard schools from Boca Inlet to Deerfield pier were the norm. Used to use Pilchard rings to catch them and gold hooks. 
    It’s ridiculous, I’m 18 and from the start of when I used to fish around 8-9 years old to now, already the fishing and bait situation has gone down a very bad path. At this rate fishing in Florida is going to really lose its popularity and magic it has always seemed to have, it’s honestly sad. I cant imagine for people older than me how big of a difference the fishing scene has changed. It’s sad for me because obviously I can’t afford a boat yet, but once I get older and In the market for a boat, might honestly not even be worth it because of how trash the fishing is going to be, the other day I was at the pier, couldn’t even catch a bluerunner or any bait to use for a snook bait.
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     I have not steadily seen the big ones in a few years. Only the chumer size. Last year, around this time there was a good amount of big herring in lantana. Just recently I heard there was a good amount of pelchards on the beach.

As a kid here bait was every where. We always caught our own bait. If we couldn't find it we went home.  

I used to use the rings like ICEBLUE mentioned. My father tought me how to make them when I was young. I still have the original rings we made. I was looking at them the other day. They were what was used before sabiki's were readily available. (Or you made you're own sabiki rigs)
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I grew up on Anglins pier starting in the early 70s. I left for 17 years starting in 1986. I came back 17 years ago. When I first came home I went to the pier and made a gold hook rig to catch some pilchards. Sabiki Riggs had just come out in popularity but I wasn’t familiar with them. I dropped my gold hook rig in the middle of the dark cloud of pilchards off of the pier and it was very difficult for me to catch a bait with the guy next to me with a Sabiki rig Brought up a loaded rig every time. Funny how things change not only by preference but bait availability etc. And yes young man things have changed dramatically actually seems to change drastically every 8 to 10 years. Of course mostly for the negative. Don’t quit use this as a motivating factor become a better fisherman be more resourceful keep a better journal than the other guy. If you truly love fishing and you have the bug you’ll find away. Good luck
  • jupiter312jupiter312 Posts: 15 Deckhand
    Stuart has all the pilchards 
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 840 Officer
    Shhhhhh……...don't let the secret out, I escaped Broward County to be a fulltime 772 resident.  We don't need more coming North.

• IslandthymeIslandthyme FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand
    demersalangeler around this time there was a good amount of big herring in lantana. 
    They are still there and have been for the past month. Just have to look for them.
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 218 Deckhand
    Shhhhhh……...don't let the secret out, I escaped Broward County to be a fulltime 772 resident.  We don't need more coming North.

I grew up in Delray, moved to Boynton and after 67 years am sooooo glad I moved out of what it has become!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,931 Captain
    I went out looking for bait off Hillsboro Inlet last week.  1 google eye for 2 hours of trying.  I did find Atlantic Bumper off the Pompano Bch pier in big numbers.  They turned out to be a lousy bait for me.  It was the first time I had seen them this far Sth in the short 5 years I have been fishing in Broward.  They were everywhere the one time I fished out of Sebastian.
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I went out looking for bait off Hillsboro Inlet last week.  1 google eye for 2 hours of trying.  I did find Atlantic Bumper off the Pompano Bch pier in big numbers.  They turned out to be a lousy bait for me.  It was the first time I had seen them this far Sth in the short 5 years I have been fishing in Broward.  They were everywhere the one time I fished out of Sebastian.
    They were everywhere by Deerfield Pier also. I've never caught anything on them and there spines are poisonous and make your hands numb.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    baccarac said:
    I grew up on Anglins pier starting in the early 70s. I left for 17 years starting in 1986. I came back 17 years ago. When I first came home I went to the pier and made a gold hook rig to catch some pilchards. Sabiki Riggs had just come out in popularity but I wasn’t familiar with them. I dropped my gold hook rig in the middle of the dark cloud of pilchards off of the pier and it was very difficult for me to catch a bait with the guy next to me with a Sabiki rig Brought up a loaded rig every time. Funny how things change not only by preference but bait availability etc. And yes young man things have changed dramatically actually seems to change drastically every 8 to 10 years. Of course mostly for the negative. Don’t quit use this as a motivating factor become a better fisherman be more resourceful keep a better journal than the other guy. If you truly love fishing and you have the bug you’ll find away. Good luck
    I fished anglins pier also in the 80’s. In the summer acres of pilchards would show up and the tarpon would be all over them. We use to use ribbon rings, or screens with ribbon to catch pilchards. I’m sure there is a number or reasons why they aren’t there anymore. Boca inlet was loaded also in the summer.
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 52 Deckhand
    When I was a kid fishing in Miami (45 years ago), we would catch dolphin EVERY day we fished in the spring/summer. Sometimes we'd encounter schools of thousands of fish, blue and yellow as far as you could see. And we never caught 20 inch fish, the smallest ones were probably well over 25 inches. We never had a need for live bait. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL
  • SnapperwhackerhardSnapperwhackerhard Posts: 23 Deckhand
    I remember back in the 70’s and 80’s when the purse seine boats would wrap up tons of bait bait right off the beach in palm beach county. 

Maybe they should BAN THE NETS !
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 424 Deckhand
     Lots of sardines at the Boynton inlet on 7/5.