Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

FPI 6/9

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,290 Officer
Took advantage of the calm seas and headed out early.  We tried to start shallow today around 80'.  Trolled east and found scattered  weeds.  Found a few little lines and tried them but still lots of scattered weeds.  We headed out deep to see if it was better.  Still lots of scattered weeds all the way out to 350'.  Went North a bit and came back in.  Finally picked up a small dolphin around 160' .  Nice calm day but a little but if a let down as to the catching department....but then again that's the way it goes sometimes.  We did kick up a few sails but couldn't get one to take hold.   Curious if anyone else got out and if so how did you do?

Replies

• WeNeedABiggerBoatWeNeedABiggerBoat Fort PiercePosts: 7 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report, I'll be heading out tomorrow after work. I did hear a few guys catching out of SLI a bit deeper.
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 199 Deckhand
    We didn’t hear much happening today out of FP. We managed a small
    dolphin as well and a sail around 220’. I lost a smoker of a fish in 135, it almost spooled a tld then cut the leader when I had it within 100ft of the boat.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,290 Officer
    We didn’t hear much happening today out of FP. We managed a small
    dolphin as well and a sail around 220’. I lost a smoker of a fish in 135, it almost spooled a tld then cut the leader when I had it within 100ft of the boat.
    yeah the radio was quiet all day.  Boat next to me at the marina had one small dolphin as well.  Perhaps that was today's allocation.....1/boat.I

Always a bummer to lose a big fish.  I know the kings have been around, perhaps you had a big king.  I got a nice one a few weeks ago and he pulled some line off of a 50 pretty good.  
    Thanks for the report, I'll be heading out tomorrow after work. I did hear a few guys catching out of SLI a bit deeper.I think I might try deeper tomorrow unless something looks good on the way out.  Any idea how deep they were?
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I really think this was a wahoo the way it ran out. When I get king I usually expect two big runs.
  • TunachaserTunachaser LoxahatcheePosts: 266 Deckhand
    Good on ya Gary, you get out there a lot man! 
    I fished with my 2 Daughters & FIL yesterday morning, bumping Gogs out of PBI. We got bit off by the Kings all morning (just above the wire). My youngest got a big ol cuda and we decided to run offshore looking for Phins. Ran out to 1000' lots of weeds with nicer patches to the South in 550-700, but no phins for us. Finished the day with a 24" Mutton and a couple of Porgies drifting dolphin belly strips on the bottom.
    Good on ya Gary, you get out there a lot man! 
    I fished with my 2 Daughters & FIL yesterday morning, bumping Gogs out of PBI. We got bit off by the Kings all morning (just above the wire). My youngest got a big ol cuda and we decided to run offshore looking for Phins. Ran out to 1000' lots of weeds with nicer patches to the South in 550-700, but no phins for us. Finished the day with a 24" Mutton and a couple of Porgies drifting dolphin belly strips on the bottom.
    LOL.....yeah that's what my family says and why the boat name is REEL OBSESSED.   The phins have been hard to find on some days then you get a good day and they're everywhere....we need some of those days.