Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Daiwa ld 40

Looking for a bearing kit for a Daiwa ld 40   Can someone pint me in the right direction?

Replies

• Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 199 Deckhand
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,186 Captain
    Don't know about the kit since I just buy the parts I need to repair each reel (as well as a stock of commonly used items like bearings, drag washers, springs, etc ) but here's the outfit that I've been going to for at least 30 years in state for all my Penn, Daiwa, Shimano parts...Dave's Parts and Service (813)358-1588,   fishingreelparts.com 

They just moved to Tampa last month and I haven't needed them recently so don't know how well they're back up and running yet... 
    Before you do any reel work you must have the schematic for that particular reel make, model, etc.  I've been able to get newer schematics directly from most manufacturers (but I also have schematics for reels that go all the way back to the seventies...).

For what it's worth... I've never seen a "bearing kit" for any reel from a manufacturer... usually that sort of stuff comes from an after-market outfit (the way Newell did years and years ago for Penn reels...).

Hope this helps

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing"....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Thanks bob ..I figured it would be an aftermarket kit ...I bought this used and after taking it apart ..saw that the seller Had beat me to it .....thanks for the number ...
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,559 Captain
    Boca Bearings  has kits for a lot of common reels.
  • Russ57Russ57 FloridaPosts: 44 Deckhand
    You have three basic options.

One, buy the correct Daiwa part number.
    Two, buy from an aftermarket company that specializes in fishing reel bearings, like Boca bearing.
    Three, buy from a supply house that sells bearings.

Option three will generally give you the best price and options.  Of course you will have to measure and figure out what bearing to buy.  The companies that specialize in selling "fishing reel" bearings would love to convince you that you need a "special" bearing that costs 5...10...20 times the price of an industry standard bearing.