Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Redington Shores Area Late June/Early July

I’ll be down June 29-July 5 staying on Redington Shores. I was there last in January and had a great time catching a wide variety of fish off the dock at our rental. 

Can I expect better or worse fishing in the summer?  

Should I look elsewhere?

I simply fished live shrimp on a circle hook and also used some small pinfish as bait. 

I live the area but am still learning saltwater fishing. I’m an avid mountain trout fly fisherman and bass fisherman. I’ll gladly swap tips if you need Western NC fishing tips. 

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,445 AG
    NC? Where?

That's catfish heaven but try at night and real early in the am. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • scott2165scott2165 Western NCPosts: 17 Deckhand
    Near Brevard. 

Last trip down there early morning until around 12 was good then again closer to dark. 

I’m sure the warmer water will change the game. 

I’d like to get out in a boat but need to split the cost of anyone is interested. 
  • RichBLargoRichBLargo LargoPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Snook will be along the beach, especially early morning and late evening. Give yourself about a 24” leader as their gill plates are sharp and will cut you off.

The 2nd swash channel in between the 1st and 2nd sandbar along the beach is also good. Spanish mackerel will swing through and produce fun.

Hubbard’s Marina at John’s Pass has half and full day charters as do the Double Eagle fleet at Clearwater Beach!

Enjoy it! 
    I had some time to fish tonight after dark. I only had some frozen sand fleas and an artificial shrimp. I’ll grab better bait tomorrow as I’ll have the day free. 

I managed one trout off the dock. I missed a nice sized fish that was either a trout or maybe a snook. Both on the artificial shrimp. The one I missed jumped several times before throwing the hook. 

The sand fleas were basically food for the pinfish. They are little bait thieves. 
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Use a pinfish for bait. 
    Last night was better. I landed several trout on a maribou jig. They were chasing my top water plug but wouldn’t commit. I caught several pinfish on shrimp so I used both cut and live ones for bait. Nothing caught on cut ones but I landed several sail cats on the live ones. I may try the beach tonight to mix it up.
    Tonight a trough killed my jig and broke my off. Good sized fish under lights. That’s the last one I had. 

I fished some frozen shrimp for a bit. I had a few bait thieves then landed a few sail cats and a small fish that I believe was a mangrove. 

I had a guide booked tomorrow but he said the fishing was bad so he recommended we reschedule. Sucks because I have to travel so far to come here. 

I may mix it up tomorrow and hit the beach very early or very late. 
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,445 AG
    Not bad at all considering the time of year. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln