Evinrude stopped production of outboard motors - May 27, 2020

BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
--- Travis McGee

Replies

• plasteredplastered Posts: 421 Deckhand
    Time to build a 4 stroke motor.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,110 Captain
    I've run nothing but a Johnson or Evinrude on my boats - since 1974... And of course this caught me with a very good E-Tec 90 motor (the fourth one I've had since 2005, in hard commercial service) with four years warranty remaining... 

Sorry to hear about it and guess I'll be learning more about four stroke outboards than I ever wanted to know... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tagtag Posts: 8,935 Admiral
    My first outboard was a rude. Nice 90 2 stroke.  Evinrude died because they made poor business decisions and refused to change with the times. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,160 Officer
    Part of it may have been styling, too.  I've watched several shows on TV - Local Knowledge, etc. - that have boats with big Evinrudes on them and I sure wouldn't want one (or more) of those things on my boat.  Ugly.  Haha.....flame away.  
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,110 Captain
    Actually those second generation (the G2) motors were more advanced than any other outboard made - but they simply never caught on and BRP just couldn't sell enough of them to make the profit they were seeking - at least that's what my long time dealer at SeaPower found... He's a Yamaha dealer now.  The 90 hp E-Tecs that I've been running since 2005 were the lightest weight 90 that anyone made - and they've been the best I've ever had.  Guys like me with older skiffs have boats that were not designed for heavy four stroke motors so they were very attractive.  I'll be finding out more than I ever wanted to know about "four strokes" whenever I re-power (something a full time guide will be doing every two or three years..).  And of course I'll have to replace every bit of my wiring harness, all my gauges, and will need a new shift / throttle as well.  I figure that it might add as much as an extra $2500 to the re-power... lucky me...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,160 Officer
    Actually those second generation (the G2) motors were more advanced than any other outboard made - but they simply never caught on and BRP just couldn't sell enough of them to make the profit they were seeking - at least that's what my long time dealer at SeaPower found... He's a Yamaha dealer now.  The 90 hp E-Tecs that I've been running since 2005 were the lightest weight 90 that anyone made - and they've been the best I've ever had.  Guys like me with older skiffs have boats that were not designed for heavy four stroke motors so they were very attractive.  I'll be finding out more than I ever wanted to know about "four strokes" whenever I re-power (something a full time guide will be doing every two or three years..).  And of course I'll have to replace every bit of my wiring harness, all my gauges, and will need a new shift / throttle as well.  I figure that it might add as much as an extra $2500 to the re-power... lucky me...
    That sucks.  Maybe by then Evinrude will be making motors again.  Hard to believe an outfit like that will be down and out forever without someone picking up the reins again.