Home Off Topic

No Time For Complacency

Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,965 Captain

Such a total shock!

Who could have predicted it?

What could possibly have gone wrong?

The person in question was at two different pools from 1:00 PM - 10:00 PM.

Person who was at crowded Lake of the Ozarks last weekend tests positive for COVID-19, says health department

St. Louis Post-Dispatch - From staff reports
No social distancing at Backwater Jacks
Backwater Jacks pool was still crowded late Sunday afternoon, May 24, 2020, on Memorial Day weekend in Osage Beach, Missouri. Images from this scene and several other bars in the area are the focus of national scrutiny at a time when experts are still calling for social distancing due to the continued threat of the COVID-19 coronavirus. St. Louis County Executive Dr. Sam Page urged partygoers to self quarantine for fourteen days. PHOTO BY PAT TOSIE

CAMDENTON, Mo. — A person who visited the Lake of the Ozarks last weekend has tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Camden County Health Department. 

The visitor, a Boone County resident, was around the lake on May 23 and 24 and was likely infectious at the time of the visit. 

"I don't know what you do," Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said of Memorial Day weekend parties at the Ozarks during a Friday news conference. "The reality is, at some point, people have to be responsible for their actions."

No COVID-19 cases were reported in Camden County residents this past week. 

Health officials in Camden County released a schedule of the visitor's weekend at the Ozarks: 

Saturday, May 23

• Backwater Jacks, about 1-5 p.m.
  • Shady Gators and Lazy Gators Pool, 5:40 p.m.-9 p.m.
  • Backwater Jacks, 9:40 p.m. -10 p.m.

Sunday, May 24

• Buffalo Wild Wings, 1 p.m.-2 p.m.
  • Shady Gators, about 2:30pm-about 6:30-7 p.m.
  • Taxi from Shady Gators to a private residence, around 7 p.m.

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,247 Admiral
    It is your choice to go to the crowds or not. If a person is unaware they have any virus and are not showing symptoms, I don't see how they could be held accountable. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,089 Captain
    edited May 30 #3

Looks like patient zero was making lil’ swimmers in the pool. 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 47 Deckhand
    Good thing is those kids have less chance of dying from covid than from the common flu.............getting the herd immunity ramped up.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,019 Captain
    I believe the published death rate is 1.5%, probably less than 1%.
    I am not falling for the hype, I go where I want, do what I want, dont wear a mask, keep my hands clean and live my life.
    I am not afraid, and for the record, I am OLD.
    F the feds
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 47 Deckhand
    If you are 25 or under 1.5 deaths per million people.  If you live in a nursing home in Ga.  1 in every 2 chance of dying.  Course those people die regularly also.............
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 539 Officer
    We oucheah keepin the party goin!!!!!11
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,965 Captain
    edited June 2 #8
    The mass gatherings of the last few days are another concern.

No telling what will result, but I doubt tear-gas kills the virus.

The severity, duration, and body parts affected, are all highly variable.

No telling what the US/European infection/fatality rates will turn out to be.

All I know for certain is that I don't want to be any part of that equation.

An abundance of caution is cheap insurance, much cheaper than a funeral policy.

In the rest of the world, the situation is quite a bit different.

The infection rates in Brazil, India, and Pakistan, are stilll rising.

Even if cases plateau in Summer, it could return with a vengeance.

Venting Alert - ( consider avoidance )

There's no way to sugar-coat this. The planet is overpopulated and cannot sustain further growth without accelerating the already precipitous slide of climate change. Losing 1/2 the population of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Brazil would be a blessing to the planet. Most countries in Africa have a population-bomb ticking, and no way to produce more food. The droughts have already begun, and even if the population are given food, how are they going to cook it without any wood? Where is the water? There will be wars over food and water. Would you rather they starve, kill each other, or die of the Corona-19? "Food and water in exchange for sterilization" is as close to a humane solution that I can imagine. On the home-front, it's looking like the party is over for the duration. The systemic damage to the foundations of the economy will require a wholesale re-boot, but even a whiff another "New Deal" will be fought tooth and nail. There will be dithering until the whole charade comes off the rails. The days of the Golden Parachute are over. Handing out multi-million dollar bonuses the day before filing for bankruptcy could become a hanging offense. Don't hold your breath for a "Deus Ex Machina" moment ... it's not going to happen. Civilization as we know it will be hanging on by its' fingernails, so adjust your attutude and enjoy the ride while you can. It's a one-way street.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,524 AG
    Oh no!  People are going to get sick!

Captain Todd Approves

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,157 Captain
    I heard tear gas cures covid.  thats why all the rioting