Home Off Topic

Child wants too move out ;)!

13»

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG
    Of course one can save money while renting.  To think otherwise is a choice, and people who do deserve exactly what they get.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,216 Officer
    Of course one can save money while renting.  To think otherwise is a choice, and people who do deserve exactly what they get.

That's not true if you own the house you live in.  It would cost me more per month to rent the house across the street than this one I own.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,155 Captain

That's not true if you own the house you live in.  It would cost me more per month to rent the house across the street than this one I own.

I found it was cheaper buying also. In 1997.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,981 Admiral
    I saved plenty of money while renting. But I also lived within my means and didn't spend money I didn't have. It just takes common sense.
    That's wonderful because everyone I knew that rented was stuck living week-to-week so obviously you did something different or made enough money to overcome paying rent.
    edited June 4 #66
    I tell you where my son came out smelling like a rose. He was 23 when the economy crashed and bought a foreclosure and was eligible for a government $7,000 free credit down payment towards the purchase of a new home or used home. So he bought the house at a third of what it was worth today and he got  $7,000 for a down payment from the government . Now the house is tripled in price 9 years later. I don't think if he rented he would have been in this position. Some of the reason it has increased in value that much is the property appraiser had it 550 ft less than it actually was. So everything added up to a good deal it might not quite be triple the value but it was still a fantastic deal especially with the free $7,000 government deposit I don't even know if he realizes how lucky he was to be honest. When I started out I was buy it top Fort Lauderdale prices. That was a little tougher LOL but still doable
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG

Sure it is.  Rent a smaller house.  Prioritize. Live below your means.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 539 Officer
    Its a tough world. This is one of the many reasons I chose not to have children. 

Best of luck to you with your daughter. I couldn't imagine what I would do if she talked to me that way after giving her my world for 18+ years. 

Tough love is probably her best bet for a decent future. 

I am too blunt. I would tell her if she wants something for nothing then go marry a rich guy and treat him like poop.
    If you're lucky he'll be happy to give up half to get rid of you. Then tell her....... Good news is I have already exhausted my investment and I don't owe you anything anymore. 

Again, this is the reason I don't have em. 

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,095 Officer
    L8RBRA said:
    Its a tough world. This is one of the many reasons I chose not to have children. 

Best of luck to you with your daughter. I couldn't imagine what I would do if she talked to me that way after giving her my world for 18+ years. 

Tough love is probably her best bet for a decent future. 

I am too blunt. I would tell her if she wants something for nothing then go marry a rich guy and treat him like poop.
    If you're lucky he'll be happy to give up half to get rid of you. Then tell her....... Good news is I have already exhausted my investment and I don't owe you anything anymore. 

Again, this is the reason I don't have em. 

I haven’t spoke too her and it hurts but I just can’t get over how she is so ungrateful :(!
    thanks all and I get a little from all of you.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,385 Admiral
    Everyone situation is different. If your parents are well-off and don’t  mind you staying at home that’s fine. If your parents aren’t so well-off and you are a financial burden on them it’s probably best to move out and get on with your own life.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,842 AG
    Everyone situation is different. If your parents are well-off and don’t  mind you staying at home that’s fine. If your parents aren’t so well-off and you are a financial burden on them it’s probably best to move out and get on with your own life.
    Most kids I’ve seen are oblivious to that, and the parents are too protective (Proud?), to say anything.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,305 Captain
    My kids hear the following from me every morning I drop them off at school while in grades 1-5.

1. Everyone works
    2. Nothing is free
    3. Everyone starts at the bottom.
    4. While you're living under my roof, my word is law.

My son is starting 6 grade next year. He may continue getting that drilled home. I haven't decided yet.

I also have that phrase written on a white board in my galley at work, except #4 says, Captains word is law. ;) 

You simply don't let the crew run the ship and you darn sure don't let the kids run the house. 
    edited June 5 #73
    All I know is my 31-year old son that is 6 foot 2 290 lb tells me I love you after every phone conversation. So did my son that passed away from cancer at 31 years of age. I don't know how to explain it. I passed all my love and experience and I made the right decisions with my kids. Me and my children when they were grown always hugged when we was leaving a restaurant with a group of people. The funny thing is my boys friends hugged me to because they didn't get that from their parents. They have told me so. Very sad!
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 539 Officer
    bocapup1 said:
    I haven’t spoke too her and it hurts but I just can’t get over how she is so ungrateful :(!
    thanks all and I get a little from all of you.
    I feel for you there Sir. It sounds like she will learn her way kinda like I did as a youngin. All you can do is be there when it counts. Not necessarily money wise but when it hits her and that light bulb goes off. She'll be back when life knocks her down. She should be the one to say you told her so. Thats as good as a "I'm sorry". Don't ever let your pride get in the way of your relationship. Pick up the phone and give her a call. She might not answer but she will still know you are there. Best of luck.
  • dogman18dogman18 Posts: 324 Deckhand
    Personal opinion: write a contract to help her for 6 months. At the end she's on her own. Sign and notarize it. Several lessons : Help only lasts so long, growing up is  tough, contracts are for real and love is free don't abuse it.
    “There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe